Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a plan for AT&T Wireless Home phone! Anyone?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score

Need a plan for AT&T Wireless Home phone! Anyone?

I'm moving back to a location where our best choice for home phone service was the old AT&T Wireless Home Phone device. For anyone who doesn't know, this was a little box that connected to the wireless network which then connected to your old landline phones, allowing you to make calls through the wireless network from your landline phone.

AT&T no longer sells the $20/month unlimited voice plan that was to go with this device. Does anyone have a thought as to an MVNO that can provide something similar? We're looking for $20/month on AT&T or T-Mo, unlimited talk time, NO data or texts (well, they can be there but they won't be used), along with free calling to Canada if possible. And I'd like it to be no more than $20/month.

Anyone have any thoughts?

thanks! Mike Nassour

Feedback Score
    I am using a tracfone byop ATT sim on the zte mf279 box. Note that you won't get voLTE calling. It is enabled on the box, but at this time ATT doesn't allow voLTE on MVNOs. You could do the $20 unlimited talk/text 1G card, or the $15 500 min talk/text 0.5g data.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    First of all, thanks for the quick reply!

I've got the older box, the black and silver one. It's the WF720. Uh oh....I get a feeling I'm about to get caught by the 2g sunset? And honestly, I THINK that VoLTE is what I need, as this will be a voice-only line.

And regarding the $15 plan on the mf279...any idea how many minutes half a gig of data is?

So many questions! Thanks!
    Last edited by Mike Nassour; 11-25-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score

Need a plan for AT&T Wireless Home phone! Anyone?

Cricket’s cheapest voice plan is a good option to consider. A little more than $20 but you get VoLTE.

Or $25/mo with AT&T prepaid but you have to use auto pay and you have to pay taxes. Cricket includes it in their plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Cricket’s cheapest voice plan is a good option to consider. A little more than $20 but you get VoLTE.
    Can you still get that plan? I was going to put my mom on the talk/text plan, but seems to be gone now.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes, and the least I'm seeing on AT&T is $35/month.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Straight talk on the atnt side had volte when we had them about a year ago.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Is this much different then getting a cheap cellphone and plan and just keeping it linked to a cordless phone system that has Link-to-Cell??? Of course you would just keep the cellphone plugged in all the time.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    The Link-to-Cell system won't have the sound quality of a dedicated wireless phone set-up, but likely not a deal breaker for most.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Yes, and the least I'm seeing on AT&T is $35/month.
    Yeah you can still get the Cricket plan and the AT&T plan is $35 but $25 with auto pay. I think the Cricket plan is a better deal. If you have the home phone box that offers data access, you can use the data that comes with the plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Google Nexus 5x, Samsung Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, Ultra Mobile
    Feedback Score

Check SIM before you buy

First of all, thanks for the quick reply!

It's the WF720. Uh oh....I get a feeling I'm about to get caught by the 2g sunset?
    If I remember correctly that box only had 2/3G. AT&T has sunset 2G and T-Mobile's 2G is basically M2M and can not hold conversation time depending on your location.
    AT&T will also be sunsetting 3G soon. T-Mobile has already.

To simplify: At best you will be at the mercy of only be on 1 band that's probably going to be degraded before final shutdown.
    Last edited by lchan120; 11-26-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Add comment to end

Feedback Score
    red pocket has the ATT unlimited talk, text, data (5g at lte) for $195 right now ($16.25 a month)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-25-Mo-Re...e6b3%7Ciid%3A1

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lchan120 View Post
    If I remember correctly that box only had 2/3G. AT&T has sunset 2G and T-Mobile's 2G is basically M2M and can not hold conversation time depending on your location.
    AT&T will also be sunsetting 3G soon. T-Mobile has already.

To simplify: At best you will be at the mercy of only be on 1 band that's probably going to be degraded before final shutdown.
    Yea...........that dawned on me about halfway through this. Our issue is that we're moving to a house where wireline is...sketchy....at best. The only decent cell service is AT&T or TMo. However, I'm not much for talking on a cell phone for an hour or so at a time, as I've found myself doing lately. It's the stiff neck thing .

So thanks to everyone here for their thoughts and I'll ask if we have any postings here about the AT&T Wireless Internet box. I understand you can hook up a landline phone to it for decent VOIP.

thanks !

Feedback Score
    Yea...........that dawned on me about halfway through this. Our issue is that we're moving to a house where wireline is...sketchy....at best. The only decent cell service is AT&T or TMo. However, I'm not much for talking on a cell phone for an hour or so at a time, as I've found myself doing lately. It's the stiff neck thing .

So thanks to everyone here for their thoughts and I'll ask if we have any postings here about the AT&T Wireless Internet box. I understand you can hook up a landline phone to it for decent VOIP.

thanks !
    Consumer Cellular sells a ZTE WF723CC for $25*. Service is $15/mo. for 250 minutes, $20/mo. for unlimited. Consumer Cellular said that they use AT&T and T-Mobile and the device is not VOLTE.

AT&T does not generally enable VOLTE for their MVNOs. AT&T 3G UTMS voice should be good for a couple of years. I would not count on T-Mo for continuity of 3G voice.

If you can get one of these things to run with a prepaid phone SIM/service I guess it would use the voice minutes rather than data of the plan.

There is a topic here somewhere about the AT&T wireless Internet/phone box.

I am with you about holding a phone to my ear for conversations. I get tired of it after a minute. I use a headset with my cordless phone. I have not found a good quality, inexpensive cellphone headset, but that could be an option.

*$25 is the sale price today. It is normally $50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    The Link-to-Cell system won't have the sound quality of a dedicated wireless phone set-up, but likely not a deal breaker for most.

Thanks, was thinking of trying a link-to cell cordless set with the $8.00 Ut&t Tello plan since Sprint works well at the Rents house.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast