Thread: Rogers crippling 2G towers?

Feedback Score

Rogers crippling 2G towers?

I recently pulled out my old Nokia 5190. It’s still working and “sees” rogers but the signal keeps coming in and out and dropping. Does anyone know what can cause this? It’s doing the same thing with my 3390. Any ideas? 2G network.

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2G is being phased out, so there isn't much 2G antenna's operating anymore.

Feedback Score
    They are probably refarming 850 MHz for LTE.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Rogers crippling 2G towers?

It’s not only 2G. Pretty sure they’re reframing some 3G too. Bell/Telus must be doing the same. Whenever our phones (my Telus and my wife’s Rogers) switch to 3G, they only work for voice and text. Data is practically useless on 3G in our experiences. For me (on Telus), it’s a recent degradation in 3G quality...only a few months ago, I was able to pull 24Mbps on 3G around my neighbourhood. Now data is extremely sluggish on 3G with full signal...any drop in 3G signal whatsoever and data refuses to work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    It’s not only 2G. Pretty sure they’re reframing some 3G too. Bell/Telus must be doing the same. Whenever our phones (my Telus and my wife’s Rogers) switch to 3G, they only work for voice and text. Data is practically useless on 3G in our experiences. For me (on Telus), it’s a recent degradation in 3G quality...only a few months ago, I was able to pull 24Mbps on 3G around my neighbourhood. Now data is extremely sluggish on 3G with full signal...any drop in 3G signal whatsoever and data refuses to work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    I have noticed this with Rogers too, if my phone drops from LTE to HSPA the only thing I can do is phone calls or text. Data barely works if at all on HSPA/3G.

Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-SE View Post
    I have noticed this with Rogers too, if my phone drops from LTE to HSPA the only thing I can do is phone calls or text. Data barely works if at all on HSPA/3G.
    Part of the reason for this could also be due to Chatr customers being restricted to 3G only. Couple that with the 3G refarming, and you've got barely usable 3G data services. :/

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado15550 View Post
    Part of the reason for this could also be due to Chatr customers being restricted to 3G only. Couple that with the 3G refarming, and you've got barely usable 3G data services. :/
    I don’t think this is true. My friends 6S on Chatr displays LTE and gets 3G speeds. Not super fast but totally useable.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    I don’t think this is true. My friends 6S on Chatr displays LTE and gets 3G speeds. Not super fast but totally useable.
    Now that's interesting. I just checked the Chatr coverage map and it's definitely the Rogers HSPA+ map. There are some Rogers LTE areas that are missing (e.g. near Swan River). However, their plan descriptions now say "at 3G speed", not "3G" like I'm pretty sure that they used to. I wonder if they have quietly upgraded Chatr users to restricted LTE, at least in some areas, matching what Lucky and Public Mobile do.