Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket HD/VoLTE and or WIFI Calling for unlocked devices?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Cricket HD/VoLTE and or WIFI Calling for unlocked devices?

I thinking about taking advantage of the $40 unlimited plan for BYOD from Cricket. I have a factory unlocked S9+ (SM-G965U1) and had it on AT&T Prepaid a couple months ago but unfortunately those features were disabled and the phone calls sounded terrible. Since Verizon doesn't cover certain areas where I need service while AT&T does I am very tempted to switch over to Cricket and take advantage of that offer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    according to this - https://www.reddit.com/r/CricketWire..._wifi_calling/ VoLTE / WIFI Calling will work but you need to flash carrier specific firmware.

Feedback Score
    This well documented BS on the part of AT&T. They won't allow BYOD Android devices capable of using VoLTE and WIFI calling to use it. This is not an issue with T-mobile and Verizon. You should not have to flash carrier firmware. People buy factory unlocked for a reason, so the phone is not tied to a carrier and to eliminate carrier bloatware. I moved a line to Spectrum which is Verizon because I need WiFi calling. AT&T really needs to get with the program.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    This well documented BS on the part of AT&T. They won't allow BYOD Android devices capable of using VoLTE and WIFI calling to use it. This is not an issue with T-mobile and Verizon. You should not have to flash carrier firmware. People buy factory unlocked for a reason, so the phone is not tied to a carrier and to eliminate carrier bloatware. I moved a line to Spectrum which is Verizon because I need WiFi calling. AT&T really needs to get with the program.

Sent from my SHT-W09 using HoFo mobile app
    As far as being a non issue on TMobile and verizon, this is not 100% accurate. At&t though is worse than them yes. There are devices that will technically work on TMobile and verizon, that are volte and wifi calling capable, that do not get either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hofonewb9 View Post
    As far as being a non issue on TMobile and verizon, this is not 100% accurate. At&t though is worse than them yes. There are devices that will technically work on TMobile and verizon, that are volte and wifi calling capable, that do not get either.
    There are many BYOD Android devices that do WiFi calling on T-mobile and Verizon. AT&T does not even try. Most of the newer flagship phones work. My S10e gets VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on both T-mobile and Verizon. I pulled an old Motorola G5 plus out of the drawer a few weeks ago and put Mint Mobile Sim in it. That is T-mobile and Wi-Fi calling works fine.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    There are many BYOD Android devices that do WiFi calling on T-mobile and Verizon. AT&T does not even try. Most of the newer flagship phones work. My S10e gets VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling on both T-mobile and Verizon. I pulled an old Motorola G5 plus out of the drawer a few weeks ago and put Mint Mobile Sim in it. That is T-mobile and Wi-Fi calling works fine.

Sent from my SM-T720 using HoFo mobile app
    Yes, TMobile and Verizon are more open to supporting byod devices with those features than At&t, but they do not support every device capable of volte and wifi calling on their Network. They have a certification process in place also, just as At&t does. They just certify more device than At&t does. Verizon in particular, right now, has a very limited LTE only byod list, there are plenty of devices out there that support volte, and band 13, but Verizon will not allow currently on their Network. Now these are mainly Chinese devices, and the same can be said with TMobile, most of their devices that won't get volte despite full support are Chinese devices (oppo, redmi, Huawei etc.)but cheaper high end Chinese devices are becoming more popular here.

Feedback Score
    Because the manufacturers have to PAY for that certification process, the carrier won't do it for free.
    Apple, Samsung, moto, LG pay for that certification and their phones' IMEI's are added to the whitelist database.

Feedback Score
    I just got a Cricket S10 and reflashed it as a "U1" unlocked firmware so I can get rid of the Cricket startup and bloat

So now I am disabling VoLTE and wifi calling thru the Cricket/ATT network I guess?

I guess if it is really important I could reflash again to an AIO firmware with "U" model. What do I get in everyday benefit from having VoLTE and wifi calling? I do have Google Voice so I have a number I can use if I am in a foreign country or otherwise need to do wifi calling....

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Voice over Lte allows higher quality audio. WiFi calling allows you to make calls over a WiFi network if you are in a area with no cell network signal but have a WiFi connection.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    Voice over Lte allows higher quality audio. WiFi calling allows you to make calls over a WiFi network if you are in a area with no cell network signal but have a WiFi connection.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    ok so I can do the Wifi calling using Google Voice I guess. May have to do without VoLTE then, unless I'm willing to go back to a Cricket splash screen and bloat apps

Feedback Score
    what "bloat" apps?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Oneplus 7T on cricket. Phone purchased directly from oneplus. No Wifi calling.

Initially no volte. Had to contact customer service, give them an imei from a compatible iphone to get it to work. Still didn't take until I force a carrier reprovisioning in the *#*#4636#*#* menu. Phone is on android 10.

dialer - https://i.imgur.com/tPhd6sB.jpg
    homescreen - https://i.imgur.com/yAnIX0Q.jpg
    4636 screen - https://i.imgur.com/qqnSy2A.jpg

Feedback Score
    Interestingly I got a text out of the blue saying that I am eligible for Wifi Calling, and to take advantage of it I need to accept all software updates for my phone and turn on Wifi Calling in my settings menu. Yet I searched and there is no Wifi Calling toggle in any settings menu that I can find

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    Interestingly I got a text out of the blue saying that I am eligible for Wifi Calling, and to take advantage of it I need to accept all software updates for my phone and turn on Wifi Calling in my settings menu. Yet I searched and there is no Wifi Calling toggle in any settings menu that I can find
    how old is your sim ??

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Getting VoLTE broke my CCF. I use a google voice number as a primary number. CCF/carrier VM interferes with it and was previously disabled entirely. Now cricket reps are telling me all they can do is either reset the (cricket) vm pin or reset the cricket vm entirely, but not disable it like it was before. [email protected]#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast