Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: TRACFONE - Alcatel MYFLIP A405DL - Gray

Feedback Score

TRACFONE - Alcatel MYFLIP A405DL - Gray

I got 2 of these reconditioned cell phones for my parents a couple of weeks ago. They are set up and working. I downloaded the manual so I could help my parents with questions since I live 200 miles away from them. It only has very basic information. I have noticed one really odd behavior that I'm trying to understand since it deviates from how most flip phones work.

I have set the incoming call to be answered when the clamshell is opened. So I would expect when the clamshell is closed, it will end all functioning and put you back at home base. This one does NOT behave that way. It continues from where you left off. This is very unconventional and confusing for my parents. Has anyone found a good method of ending all functionality since closing the clamshell on this cell does not work? My parents are in their 80s and one is blind. I turned readout ON so it speaks out to make navigating easier.

NOTE: The reconditioned cells are black, not gray.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    There is usually a separate setting somewhere for how to end a call. Hopefully, someone with the phone has seen it or can look for you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I have set the incoming call to be answered when the clamshell is opened. So I would expect when the clamshell is closed, it will end all functioning and put you back at home base. This one does NOT behave that way. It continues from where you left off.
    Does it end a call by closing the clamshell, but just not return to the home screen? Does it return to home if a call is closed using the End button? Very little about this in the various Alcatel Flip manuals.

Feedback Score
    Answer Mode > Flip Open to Answer > On

I don't see anything about call ending preferences.

I can't test it because the sim is not activated, don't want to mess with taking apart my other phone to get the sim.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    I can see why the manufacturer didn't offer a setting to end a call by closing the clamshell. They don't want you to lose the call if you accidentally close the clamshell during a call. Answering a call by opening the clamshell is different, because you don't accidentally open the phone.

Feedback Score
    I just tested mine and it hangs up when I close it. I called my home phone and just left it ring a couple times then closed the Flip and it disconnected. Don't know if it would act different with a call in process. Never tried before, was use to just hitting the END button; but just tried now and closing it ends the call. Do you have the latest OS update ? Maybe that changed it. Always found that when you're finished with a call or anything you need to hit the END (red) button. There's no setting to change that. hpham's explanation is a great reason. I can see my mom accidentally closing hers during a call. But now I see closing the clam does end the call. What OS version does your's have ?

Some things are not like a conventional old cdma flip. My mom (90) only uses hers for very rare long distance and has a landline for local calls. She turns her Flip totally off when she's not using it. On her old cdma flip she just had to hold down the End button till it turned off. On the MyFlip she has the extra step of after holding down the End button another screen pops up asking to Power Off or Restart, then press OK. She still can't get use to that extra step after all the years on the old flip. Sometime when hitting the OK she also accidentally touches the down toggle around the OK button and moves it from Power Off to Restart. I tell her if something messes up just hit the Red button to be sure your back to the Home screen and start over. I wish there was a way to turn it totally off without that extra step for her. After all the years on the old flips teaching our elderly loved ones that one extra step is a challenge. They'll get use to it.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    What about just holding the button longer?

That's the way the power button works on most androids. Long press to get shutdown/restart menu, even longer (~10seconds) to force power off.

So just hold til screen goes black.

As for ending call with close, practically all flip phones do that. It's expected behavior.

In fact the ability to definitively/aggressively end a call is often missed with smartphones (similar to slamming an old handset down). Tapping a button on the screen isn't satisfying, no matter how hard you hit it.

Just like at the reviews of the new Moto Razr. That is one if the cited features.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    What about just holding the button longer?

That's the way the power button works on most androids. Long press to get shutdown/restart menu, even longer (~10seconds) to force power off.

So just hold til screen goes black.
    Thanks, tried that before. It just restarts it. Tried everything.

Feedback Score
    I don't have the phone with me to test it. My blind parent had 180 mins and now he has 39 left. This cell is not going to work for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I just tested mine and it hangs up when I close it. I called my home phone and just left it ring a couple times then closed the Flip and it disconnected. Don't know if it would act different with a call in process. Never tried before, was use to just hitting the END button; but just tried now and closing it ends the call. Do you have the latest OS update ? Maybe that changed it. Always found that when you're finished with a call or anything you need to hit the END (red) button. There's no setting to change that. hpham's explanation is a great reason. I can see my mom accidentally closing hers during a call. But now I see closing the clam does end the call. What OS version does your's have ?

Some things are not like a conventional old cdma flip. My mom (90) only uses hers for very rare long distance and has a landline for local calls. She turns her Flip totally off when she's not using it. On her old cdma flip she just had to hold down the End button till it turned off. On the MyFlip she has the extra step of after holding down the End button another screen pops up asking to Power Off or Restart, then press OK. She still can't get use to that extra step after all the years on the old flip. Sometime when hitting the OK she also accidentally touches the down toggle around the OK button and moves it from Power Off to Restart. I tell her if something messes up just hit the Red button to be sure your back to the Home screen and start over. I wish there was a way to turn it totally off without that extra step for her. After all the years on the old flips teaching our elderly loved ones that one extra step is a challenge. They'll get use to it.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Holding down the red button initiates a vibrate/buzz then an alcatel logo then a brief blackout then repeat the buzz/logo/blackout until you let go. When you let go, you get a restart. It never shuts down by holding/releasing the red button at any stage. Restart only.

During phone use, the red button functions the same as the Back button. It does not go Home. I think this is the concern. The phone just goes back one step, doesn't "start over".

I imagine when ending a call, the red button or closing the lid just goes back one step to something. Don't know exactly what that is, but not necessarily Home.

Feedback Score
    My dad was having problems with this red button function. But now we've talked again and we may have nailed where his 140 mins. may have gone. He listens to the radio. Does that use talk minutes? He swears he has hardly talked on the cell. 2 calls perhaps. My mother says she hears it talking (I enabled readout) when it's in the drawer not being used. A big mystery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Holding down the red button initiates a vibrate/buzz then an alcatel logo then a brief blackout then repeat the buzz/logo/blackout until you let go. When you let go, you get a restart. It never shuts down by holding/releasing the red button at any stage. Restart only.

During phone use, the red button functions the same as the Back button. It does not go Home. I think this is the concern. The phone just goes back one step, doesn't "start over".

I imagine when ending a call, the red button or closing the lid just goes back one step to something. Don't know exactly what that is, but not necessarily Home.
    Sent from my moto g(7) power using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Correct that when doing anything else the red goes back a step like the back button. But when on a call, the red will end the call and go to the home screen.

Feedback Score
    My dad was having problems with this red button function. But now we've talked again and we may have nailed where his 140 mins. may have gone. He listens to the radio. Does that use talk minutes?
    No. Nothing used up but the battery.
    Have you tried again that closing it will end a call like mine does?
    If he's on a standard plan, is it minutes being used or maybe data being on reducing the balance ? I'm on PPC PayGo and it just has a bucket of $; don't know how a Tracfone similar plan shows things.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    If he's on a standard plan, is it minutes being used or maybe data being on reducing the balance ? I'm on PPC PayGo and it just has a bucket of $; don't know how a Tracfone similar plan shows things.
    On the old phones that use the one-bucket system, data is deducted from the bucket based on a ratio of so many MB for each talk minute. For a phone that uses the 3-bucket talk/text/data system, data usage can only come out of the data bucket.

Feedback Score
    My dad was having problems with this red button function. But now we've talked again and we may have nailed where his 140 mins. may have gone. He listens to the radio. Does that use talk minutes? He swears he has hardly talked on the cell. 2 calls perhaps. My mother says she hears it talking (I enabled readout) when it's in the drawer not being used. A big mystery!
    Perhaps he is not ending the calls. Perhaps he is just putting the open phone in the drawer when the other party says bye.

On a landline, when one party hangs up, the system is supposed to disconnect the entire connection. But this may not necessarily happen with a mobile, or not right away. So maybe there is an automated voice telling you to hang up. The voice in the drawer.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast