Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Google voice as voicemail for carrier number

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    GV is being used for only the VM on 2 TW phones that I help with. I haven't gotten any complaints from the users in the last 2-3 years. But there are no special settings being used. Just CCF.
    Total Wireless, which uses Vzw. TW voicemail was never specifically disabled, but it was also never set up on either line.
    I thought I'd mention that I noticed that the CCF was apparently reset recently on both of the above-mentioned phones on TW.

I haven't done any investigation into the issue, and I probably won't, because I'm hoping these two lines get moved to Visible with Party Pay within the next few weeks.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    I thought I'd mention that I noticed that the CCF was apparently reset recently on both of the above-mentioned phones on TW.

I haven't done any investigation into the issue, and I probably won't, because I'm hoping these two lines get moved to Visible with Party Pay within the next few weeks.
    Bet VVM is enabled by Visible.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Bet VVM is enabled by Visible.
    That will probably be okay. After they get set up on Visible, hopefully I'll be more hands off.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Kind of a sidetrack to the main focus of the thread, but I'm toying with the idea of implementing CCF on one of my lines (PPC/VZW) to collect VM for it on my GV service. The line is already set up in GV as a "Linked Number" or (older term) "Forwarding Phone", but I've never had a need to divert calls made to that cell number as no one (I thought) had it to reach me. Turns out it's a spam call magnet (late mother's old homestead number - in the family for a long time). Spammers get a whiff of a (long gone) senior's telephone number and it can get crazy!

What I'm wondering (and should know after being out here as long as I have) is if, when the cell number is called and is forwarded to GV, are there then charges to the voice plan of that cell? Can't remember how that shakes out. If so it could be prohibitive and I'd let it slide.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    when the cell number is called and is forwarded to GV, are there then charges to the voice plan of that cell? Can't remember how that shakes out.
    It used to count as if you answered but I haven't tested/verified in a long time.

Since I'm on unlimited voice so can't test now.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-20-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Kind of a sidetrack to the main focus of the thread, but I'm toying with the idea of implementing CCF on one of my lines (PPC/VZW) to collect VM for it on my GV service. The line is already set up in GV as a "Linked Number" or (older term) "Forwarding Phone", but I've never had a need to divert calls made to that cell number as no one (I thought) had it to reach me. Turns out it's a spam call magnet (late mother's old homestead number - in the family for a long time). Spammers get a whiff of a (long gone) senior's telephone number and it can get crazy!

What I'm wondering (and should know after being out here as long as I have) is if, when the cell number is called and is forwarded to GV, are there then charges to the voice plan of that cell? Can't remember how that shakes out. If so it could be prohibitive and I'd let it slide.
    Don't have an answer to your question. But have you considered porting that number to VoIP.ms? That's what I did with my old home landline. Costs .85/month plus minutes used (porting is currently free). I have inbound calls go straight to voicemail. If the voicemail lasts more that a few seconds it gets emailed to me as an attachment. For the few number of minutes I use each month on that line it's definitely cheaper than PPC. That line cost me less than $1 for the month of December.
    Plus don't you have an OBi device? You'd have a lot more options and flexibility using VoIP.ms.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Don't have an answer to your question. But have you considered porting that number to VoIP.ms? That's what I did with my old home landline. Costs .85/month plus minutes used (porting is currently free). I have inbound calls go straight to voicemail. If the voicemail lasts more that a few seconds it gets emailed to me as an attachment. For the few number of minutes I use each month on that line it's definitely cheaper than PPC. That line cost me less than $1 for the month of December.
    Plus don't you have an OBi device? You'd have a lot more options and flexibility using VoIP.ms.
    Does SMS and all cross carrier MMS work with VoIP.ms?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Doesn't matter much for an old land line.

But pretty sure SMS is available no MMS.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    ST Dog is correct. SMS yes. MMS no. Probably wouldn't want to go with VoIP.ms if SMS/MMS is very important to you.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    On red pocket, gsma, vm calls forwarded to gv are billed air time. I don't know/remember if this is the case when its forwarded to the carrier's native vm #. In any event, having access to vm's at a later time is convenient.

Case and point, messages from a deceased family member.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The VoIP.ms service is a good suggestion for parking a number, certainly. But I've been using the number on a PPC line of service for four or five years, and have a balance of just under $100 on it. I check the VM from another line so no charges doing it. If I ever wanted to change things, even to let the number go, I'd get to using that line and calling a lot with it and use it up, as PPC doesn't let you move balances around or sub in another number like (for instance) TracFone does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2