Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No WIFI Calling on Straight Talk Verizon Even with CDMA's Demise on the Horizon

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    There is still a few locations in west central Iowa that still drops to 3G, but I know Verizon has tower permits in a few of these locations.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Well, I've seen my phone drop from LTE on the network to CDMA in the recent past. Including in a very small town in Nebraska last spring. (For that matter, ATT Prepaid had no coverage at all there).

It could just be distance from a tower, frequency bands used by the different technologies, maybe roaming partners that don't have LTE.

I don't know that Verizon has any towers of their own that only have CDMA. Probably not unless it is a tower to be decommissioned.
    They have apparently cut back cdma capacity to a 1.25mhz carrier, I'm not sure how small they can make it. It is possible they haven't completely overlaid cdma coverage with lte but you'd think this far along in the process that wouldn't be the case.

Just out of curiosity I wonder what someone with two phones on Verizon one that has a cdma/lte radio and one with no cdma, lte only radio sees with those phones in areas considered better for cdma coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    In my house Verizon likes to drop to 3G. But when it drops to 3G calls cannot be made it’s horrible. On LTE no issues at all most of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    In my house Verizon likes to drop to 3G. But when it drops to 3G calls cannot be made it’s horrible. On LTE no issues at all most of the time

But what if your phone had no cdma radio? No signal at all?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    But what if your phone had no cdma radio? No signal at all?
    Would work better since it wouldn’t randomly drop to 3G and would stick on LTE. If you force it the signal is better and works fine

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I just know that, on I-44 in Oklahoma, when VoLTE was enabled I had better voice coverage. So it isn't just a case CDMA is better coverage than VoLTE. Or VoLTE is better coverage than CDMA. Having both is still a little better (minus the case where it switches from one to the other, and the one you switch to is unusable).
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Phone radio makes a difference too. Some LTE Advanced features are related to fringe reception capability.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by simplygib View Post
    Verizon will drop CDMA in January.

Straight Talk bludgeoned me to death with texts earlier this year warning me that my phone (a Verizon S4) would not work anymore once CDMA was dropped at year's end, and that I needed a new phone that supported VoLTE. So I bought an S9-plus (also Verizon) and activated it on ST. The phone is great, but I was shocked to find out that Wifi Calling is not available even though the phone is capable of it.

I live in an area with a very weak signal from any carrier. I can sometimes get Verizon LTE there but it's very erratic and unreliable, even with a booster. So VoLTE won't be much good to me there. I had counted on the fact that I could use WIFI calling when home, but as of yet it is still not available through ST on Verizon. The option to turn it on doesn't even exist in my settings. I ran the ST test to see if my SIM was compatible and it came back negative. So I called ST (as suggested), and was told that Wifi Calling would only work on TMobile or AT&T through ST. Well, I don't want to switch because I often travel and the coverage is much better on Verizon. So I'm stuck.

I would just switch to Verizon and bypass ST altogether if I could, but unfortunately I had just re-upped my ST service for another year before discovering all of this.

I don't know how Verizon can drop CDMA and then expect everyone to use VoLTE when LTE isn't available everywhere. If they would allow MVNOs to use WIFI calling, that would at least help the situation, and for me it would help greatly. But that hasn't happened yet, at least not through ST. GRRRRRRR.....
    You went from Wi-Fi calling to CDMA being dropped in the same post! They are not really related.

I recently ported to Total Wireless, another Tracfone brand, from T-Mobile because of T-Mobile's coverage issues. However I followed the advice of others and actually ported my number out to Google Voice then just got a new number assigned by Total Wireless.

One reason I did it this way is because Total Wireless, and other Tracfone Verizon brands, don't support Wi-Fi calling. With Verizon as the underlying carrier, the need for Wi-Fi calling is much reduced since Verizon coverage is far superior to T-Mobile, but occasionally it's still useful.

The big advantage of porting to Google Voice, especially with an MVNO, is that no matter what foreign prepaid SIM I'm using I can still get calls, SMS, and MMS on my U.S. number, as long as I have some sort of data (Wi-Fi or cellular). With T-Mobile, it included SMS while roaming internationally, and calls were 25˘/minute, and slow data was free. But a) the included international roaming was of limited value because of the slow data, and b) I had to put up with T-Mobile's poor U.S. service in order to get that international roaming 0-3 times a year. There are very few MVNOs that allow international roaming, and the two that I know of are on the poorest carriers in the U.S.. Google-Fi uses Sprint and T-Mobile, Altice uses mainly Sprint, though they say that AT&T roaming is available when there isn't a Sprint signal.

As to why Tracfone brands don't support Wi-Fi calling, I strongly suspect it's because the underlying carriers don't allow it. Since the MVNO is purchasing bulk minutes from the carrier why would the carrier want to do anything that reduces the number of those minutes that they sell to the MVNO. And if the carrier offered Wi-Fi calling to the MVNOs but still charged the MVNO for those minutes then why would the MVNO want to offer Wi-Fi calling? Another reason may be that the carriers don't want to let the MVNOs have all the features that the carrier's own plans offer because they don't want to lose customers to the MVNO.

Since you just re-upped with Straight Talk for a year, you can't port your number to Google Voice right now. But you can still make outgoing calls on GV over Wi-Fi. Temporarily you could include a message on your voice-mail to tell callers to try your GV number.

Feedback Score
    Actually the carriers, even for their subscribers, deduct the WiFi minutes for the total allowance (if not unlimited voice). So I don't think that's the issue, probably is logistics of setting a WiFi calling server on the MVNO side.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Actually the carriers, even for their subscribers, deduct the WiFi minutes for the total allowance (if not unlimited voice). So I don't think that's the issue, probably is logistics of setting a WiFi calling server on the MVNO side.
    True, but for unlimited voice, like I'm getting with Total Wireless, why would Tracfone want to pay the underlying carrier for Wi-Fi minutes? Most people rarely need Wi-Fi calling, especially on AT&T or Verizon. I could see a benefit for MVNOs using T-Mobile or Sprint because the native coverage of those two carriers is much less pervasive than AT&T or Verizon.

Feedback Score
    They would have to set up their own WiFi voice server. Like they have now for MMS and RCS.

The task is very complex technological because the required hand-shake between LTE (carrier) and WiFi (MVNO) when going in and out if coverage area...
    And not just one server, they would need multiple, per region because of latencies involved.

That's why some carriers don't do it even for their own post-paid. There is no revenue to be gained for this.
    Personally I don't need it. And if adding the WiFi calling means that everyone on TW will have to pay for that server... to be used by a couple of fringe cases, probably nobody will want it.

And yes, this WiFi calling "neediness" started with Sprint MVNO's (like Republic Wireless) and moved to t-Mobile, because their coverage just doesn't cut it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    True, but for unlimited voice, like I'm getting with Total Wireless, why would Tracfone want to pay the underlying carrier for Wi-Fi minutes? Most people rarely need Wi-Fi calling, especially on AT&T or Verizon. I could see a benefit for MVNOs using T-Mobile or Sprint because the native coverage of those two carriers is much less pervasive than AT&T or Verizon.
    I would love to get WiFi calling on my Verizon based phones because I have stores that for some strange reason has no cell service once you get away from the front or doors of the store. If you are outside of the store, you get 3 to 4 bars. It is really bad when you are talking to someone, and trying to find something for them.

This is happening with more then just one building. It seems like this has been happening with these newer buildings that was built within the last 3 to 5 years tho. If you want to know, this happens in Fleet Farm, Dollar General, and AtHome. This does not happen in the newer Target, Walmart, and Menards. So not sure why some buildings are doing this while other buildings are not doing this. I thought it was something to do with the shelving, but it would have happened with the older stores that was remodeled.

I still have not tracked this down to one thing yet.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3aXL, LG G3, Moto G7 Power/E4/Z3/G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, PagePlus, TracFone, RedPkt
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I would love to get WiFi calling on my Verizon based phones
    I was surprised to see it pop-up on my Xfinity Mobile Moto G7 Power. My previous LG X-Charge never had WiFi calling.

I know some people had believed that XM was like Republic Wireless, in that it would always try to connect to a WiFi hotspot first and lose connection between the patchwork of hotspots, but that is not the case, it always prefers Verizon first, and I could just turn off WiFI if it didn't.

I would just turn on WiFi for Google Voice, anyway (don't use much cell data).

WiFi calling comes in handy at work (where there is poor indoor coverage from all carriers), hence my using Google Voice. I was recently in a Hospital and heard nurses saying how that department had bad coverage, yet I was calling fine (then noticed that WiFi calling had kicked-in).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2