Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cnotes20191 View Post
    How beneficial is mmwave?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's dependent on massive amounts of small cells and those are dependent on boatloads of fiber being put into place. Within AT&T areas where there are poles AT&T can simply mount a 5G small cell on the top of a pole and they have plenty of underground right of way in metro areas. Outside of their ILEC area not as easy.

Late in 2020 there will be 5G mmwave repeaters so they can be placed in LOS of the small cell and enlarge coverage where there are gaps without running new fiber and another small cell.

None of this is going to happen overnight though and I believe for carriers in metro areas this is about increasing capacity as much as anything else. Mmwave is dirt cheap compared to mid and low spectrum and once fiber is run its there.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    It's dependent on massive amounts of small cells and those are dependent on boatloads of fiber being put into place. Within AT&T areas where there are poles AT&T can simply mount a 5G small cell on the top of a pole and they have plenty of underground right of way in metro areas. Outside of their ILEC area not as easy.

None of this is going to happen overnight though and I believe for carriers in metro areas this is about increasing capacity as much as anything else. Mmwave is dirt cheap compared to mid and low spectrum and once fiber is run its there.
    mmWave, while offering very little land area coverage, is going to reach a lot of people in a lot of places, although mostly on Verizon. Verizon is way ahead in small cells, mostly because they have huge marketshare in a lot of markets and have a crappy spectrum position, so they've been forced to do small cells. If you look at the amount of time Verizon users spend near small cells, it's actually quite significant, as they're near a lot of shopping areas, downtowns, and other busy spots.

Verizon's game plan is to use those small cells that are there anyway, often with OneFiber connections, in order to run mmWave and do home internet in those areas, since the marginal cost to do mmWave in additional to regular LTE and sub-6 5G is very little. That being said, there is a good argument that mmWave is pointless for mobile, since the areas that will get mmWave coverage from small cells already have good LTE coverage and capacity from their small cells. I think the main play will be home internet, but it could help is extremely busy hot spots like Times Square, Bryant Park, and many sports stadiums, music festivals (on a COW or COLT), etc. I don't think mmWave will help mobile in your average urban area or suburban shopping park, nor will it probably even work through brick wall or metal roofs where LTE small cells today work just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I believe they are lighting up an additional 10 markets on top of the 5 they recently announced by mid 2020 per the article posted by the OP.
    I may be wrong but are they skipping (for now) low band deployment in states/cities where they deployed some mmwave 5g such as Charlotte and Raleigh?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    That’s nationwide? I’ve read articles saying they’ll have nationwide coverage by then....

Carriers alike use the word: “nationwide,” as an adverb instead of an adjective; the latter literally meaning: “throughout a whole nation.”

When ATT says, “nationwide,” in this particular instance I’m betting they are referring to the 15 markets they plan to have lit up by mid 2020.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    I may be wrong but are they skipping (for now) low band deployment in states/cities where they deployed some mmwave 5g such as Charlotte and Raleigh?

They don't own any 850 in Charlotte or Raleigh or most of NC for that matter. Verizon owns it all in Charlotte and Raleigh. Perhaps since they own all the 850 in Orlando, Jacksonville and Miami( pretty much the east coast of Florida ) at&t and Verizon could do a swap for their extra 850 in NC. win-win.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Carriers alike use the word: “nationwide,” as an adverb instead of an adjective; the latter literally meaning: “throughout a whole nation.”

When ATT says, “nationwide,” in this particular instance I’m betting they are referring to the 15 markets they plan to have lit up by mid 2020.
    Actually when it comes to cell service if they say "nationwide" they have to be talking about 200 million minimum. it's kind of a rule

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They don't own any 850 in Charlotte or Raleigh or most of NC for that matter. Verizon owns it all in Charlotte and Raleigh. Perhaps since they own all the 850 in Orlando, Jacksonville and Miami( pretty much the east coast of Florida ) at&t and Verizon could do a swap for their extra 850 in NC. win-win.
    When do you think At&t will light up mmwave here? For consumers that is. Thanks

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    They should swap for 10x10 of PCS in the areas where one or the other owns both 850 blocks.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxFan76 View Post
    They should swap for 10x10 of PCS in the areas where one or the other owns both 850 blocks.
    Wish they would do that in Cleveland as well. Verizon has both cellular blocks, 10MHz of PCS, some 700MHz too, and well as a few other bands like AWS.

Meanwhile, AT&T has 60 MHz of PCS, some AWS, some 700 MHz, and awful building penetration issues without enough low band to get inside and provide the needed capacity to avoid slow speeds.

Feedback Score
    I might test the note 10 5g because I’m itching for a new phone. But I agree. I have a question though. How beneficial is mmwave? Does it mean it’s only going to be deployed outdoors and that means customers can’t get the fastest speeds unless they are outside and in line of sight or can they install mmwave indoors at certain locations? And also since it seems At&T’s low band 5g is more widespread im wondering if it’s all around my area like 4g lte or is that not accurate? What’s also weird is that they haven’t even released their s10 5g ...

And why are they differentiating 5g from 5g + per their website. Don’t we have a right to access of 5g +?

Am I right to assume that Raleigh and Charlotte are only test beds for 5g+ but won’t get 5g low band this year?

at&t's 5G+ which is 5G- for the others

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blkballoon925 View Post
    Wish they would do that in Cleveland as well. Verizon has both cellular blocks, 10MHz of PCS, some 700MHz too, and well as a few other bands like AWS.

Meanwhile, AT&T has 60 MHz of PCS, some AWS, some 700 MHz, and awful building penetration issues without enough low band to get inside and provide the needed capacity to avoid slow speeds.
    How's band 14?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

low band means low speed...even though covers better

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    How's band 14?

Based on what I see on cellmapper, it looks hit or miss. Some towers have 2, 12, 14, 30, and 66. Some only have 2 and 12 or some other combination with high bands and 12 only.

Unfortunately the iPhone X doesn’t support band 14, so I’m only able to pick up band 12 most places that matter like home and work and rarely see speeds faster than 10 down/1 up. There are some areas near towers where I can see CA working, likely with AWS and band 2 and those areas top out around 60ish down/10-15 up. They’re flagged for "5Ge" for whatever it’s worth.

Honestly, I’ve been underwhelmed with AT&T’s LTE-A deployment so far. After having been with AT&T it its local predecessors since 2003, this year is the first time I’ve seriously looked at moving to Verizon. They’ve got microcell sites all over the place, even along some rural highways and roads. I suspect that helps their coverage here, along with the cellular A and B blocks that they have widely deployed here. I’m just not sure whether they’re oversubscribed in the area — virtually everyone I know and work with has Verizon and has no complaints.

I just wish AT&T were in a better state to compete in this market so there’d be another option than switching carriers or waiting for additional CA deployments on more towers that may or may not materialize here. Or at least an indication that they’re working on it.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Based on what I see on cellmapper, it looks hit or miss. Some towers have 2, 12, 14, 30, and 66. Some only have 2 and 12 or some other combination with high bands and 12 only.

Unfortunately the iPhone X doesn’t support band 14, so I’m only able to pick up band 12 most places that matter like home and work and rarely see speeds faster than 10 down/1 up. There are some areas near towers where I can see CA working, likely with AWS and band 2 and those areas top out around 60ish down/10-15 up. They’re flagged for "5Ge" for whatever it’s worth.

Honestly, I’ve been underwhelmed with AT&T’s LTE-A deployment so far. After having been with AT&T it its local predecessors since 2003, this year is the first time I’ve seriously looked at moving to Verizon. They’ve got microcell sites all over the place, even along some rural highways and roads. I suspect that helps their coverage here, along with the cellular A and B blocks that they have widely deployed here. I’m just not sure whether they’re oversubscribed in the area — virtually everyone I know and work with has Verizon and has no complaints.

I just wish AT&T were in a better state to compete in this market so there’d be another option than switching carriers or waiting for additional CA deployments on more towers that may or may not materialize here. Or at least an indication that they’re working on it.
    I hate to say it but with VZW your iPhone X is less dated than on T. You really need a 4x4 device with band 14 and all the CA capabilities to notice "5Ge". If you're seeing 5Ge, that means that 4x4 mimo is active on midband on most sites in that TAC, not to mention 256/64QAM which you can get with the X and 3x-CA, but you're missing the full network potential.

256/64QAM needs ideal signal. 4 x 4 helps the sinr, which in turn helps 256/64QAM stay active, or else you fall to 64QAM/16QAM. One compliments the other.

I have family with older phones on my plan. In Manhattan, they'll get 20 to 30 mbps download and about 5 upload. I'll easily pass 100 mbps down and 10+ up in the same spot. If we're on a small cell with band 46, forget it. I'll pass 300 mbps down while they're still at 20 or 30 mbps on a phone without band 46. The modem capabilities on a phone have never been more important than now.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast