Thread: Put an active SIM card in storage?

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 3a and Moto G7 (active) Samsung Galaxy S6 (inactive)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Put an active SIM card in storage?

I have an active BYOP Moto G7 which I want to give to a friend. He will use it on his postpaid Verizon plan.

Can I just remove the SIM card (without using it to activate a new phone) and store it until I want to purchase another phone for use on TracFone? Will my remaining phone minutes, texts and data remain the same. I know the number of service days will decline each day the SIM is in storage.

If this is possible, when I remove the SIM, will my BYOP Moto G7 be immediately available for use on postpaid Verizon?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    You can remove the SIM and store it. If it's a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, no problems. If it's a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM and was activated using the IMEI of the G7, your friend might have problem using it on Verizon postpaid because it's already tied to your BYOP SIM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You can remove the SIM and store it. If it's a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM, no problems. If it's a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM and was activated using the IMEI of the G7, your friend might have problem using it on Verizon postpaid because it's already tied to your BYOP SIM.
    Thanks @hpham Yes, it is a TF/Verizon SIM and I did activate on TF using the IMEI of the Moto G7. Is there any workaround if using the Moto G7 on Verizon postpaid proves to be an initial problem because it was previously activated using a TF/Verizon SIM and the IMEI? Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    Thanks @hpham Yes, it is a TF/Verizon SIM and I did activate on TF using the IMEI of the Moto G7. Is there any workaround if using the Moto G7 on Verizon postpaid proves to be an initial problem because it was previously activated using a TF/Verizon SIM and the IMEI? Thanks!
    Do a check (by your friend or you) and see if the G7's IMEI is accepted for use on Verizon postpaid. If it is, great. If it's not because it's already tied to the BYOP SIM, then you'll have to break that tie. One option is to transfer service from your BYOP TF/Verizon SIM to a BYOP TF/AT&T SIM which doesn't require an IMEI. You can also transfer service to an inactive phone if you have one.

That entanglement between a BYOP TF/Verizon SIM and a phone IMEI is one thing I dislike about Verizon service.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This type of issue is not unique to Verizon. If someone buys an incompatible phone with any specific carrier, that carrier will not activate it and sometimes swapping SIM cards doesn't always resolve such issues.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Any Tracfone (or sister company) branded phone comes new or refurbished with the IMEI and SIM tied together, even AT&T and T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks @veriztd and @hpham So if I transfer service (using a new TracFone BYOP SIM) to another TracFone, that should free up the Moto G7 to be used on Verizon postpaid? Thanks!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you gave him the phone you must make sure he never uses the IMEI with Tracfone or your stored SIM will be deactivated.
    Also, you must use some airtime off the stored SIM at least once every 6 Months. At 6 months of non-use, the SIM is deactivated.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So if I transfer service (using a new TracFone BYOP SIM) to another TracFone, that should free up the Moto G7 to be used on Verizon postpaid?
    As long as you transfer service out of the BYOP TF/Verizon SIM currently tied to the G7, then Verizon system will see that IMEI as "not in use" and can be used for postpaid.

You have several options on what to transfer to:
    1. A BYOP TF/AT&T or TF/T-mo SIM, which does not require to be tied to an IMEI.
    2. A BYOP TF/Verizon SIM, which you'll have to supply the IMEI of a phone (other than the G7) that will pass the whitelist check.
    3. An inactive TF-branded phone (AT&T, Verizon, T-mo) which has its own SIM.