Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 61 to 69 of 69

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk CDMA Home Phone Obsolete as of December 31, 2019

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borghi View Post
    I just had a nightmare experience with the Moxee boxes. My mom lives in Buffalo NY (150 miles away) and has had a ST Home phone (Huawei model) for years. It has been trouble free. I got the email about phasing these out and purchased the Moxee box. I had no problem porting her old number and activating the Moxee. It had four bars of signal strength on the new box. I could call out with no problem, BUT anyone calling in went straight to voicemail. I called customer service and they had me try several things, but nothing worked. Thinking I had a defective unit, I went out purchased a second Moxee box. Ported the number and everything went OK. Tried making a call. All good. Tried calling the number, it went straight to voicemail. Short story is that I spent over 5 hours on the phone with customer service and they could not figure out the issue. We ended up agreeing that I should return the boxes. I ended up reactivating the old Huawei box as my mother urgently needed a phone. The Huawei box is working fine, as it has all along.

    What do I do now? I still need to find a replacement for the Huawei box and I have no confidence that ST has the bugs worked out on the new boxes.
    I'm thinking of getting the AT&T device from Consumer Cellular and porting my parents device to that. The device will work on AT&T until 2022. By then, Consumer should have updated devices.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,384
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borghi View Post
    ...What do I do now? I still need to find a replacement for the Huawei box and I have no confidence that ST has the bugs worked out on the new boxes.
    You could try the ZTE unit. They are still selling them online. I have one. It works fine.

    As someone noted recently, tip and ring are reversed on the phone jacks. It may not work entirely well with older phones where that may matter. I just checked mine with my phone line tester. The polarity is reversed. My phone doesn't care.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    69
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You could try the ZTE unit. They are still selling them online. I have one. It works fine.

    As someone noted recently, tip and ring are reversed on the phone jacks. It may not work entirely well with older phones where that may matter. I just checked mine with my phone line tester. The polarity is reversed. My phone doesn't care.
    Can you explain the "tip and ring" comment? Perhaps that is what is going on. My mom has a Panasonic wireless phone that is over 10 years old.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,384
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borghi View Post
    Can you explain the "tip and ring" comment? Perhaps that is what is going on. My mom has a Panasonic wireless phone that is over 10 years old.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_and_ring

    The terminology goes back to the days when human operators connected calls by plugging wires terminated with a plug like a headset plug into switchboard jacks to connect calls. The wires were connected to large 48 Volt batteries at the central office to power the system. Batteries being DC have a plus and minus polarity just like your car battery. Correct polarity was needed for old, old phone to operate correctly. Newer phones have been made so they don't "care" about the polarity.

    A ten year old phone is unlikely to be effected by tip and ring being reversed. My Princess Slimline phone is at least 30 years old and works fine.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    7,952
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    A ten year old phone is unlikely to be effected by tip and ring being reversed. My Princess Slimline phone is at least 30 years old and works fine.
    The polarity may only affect the old pulse (rotary) dial phones. Anything with keys is tone dialing. Pulse is still supported on land lines AFAIK, but maybe not on all wireless home phones.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    217
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Borghi View Post
    Can you explain the "tip and ring" comment? Perhaps that is what is going on. My mom has a Panasonic wireless phone that is over 10 years old.
    A "normal" telephone line pair has "tip" and "ring" from the old days of operators with cord boards to connect calls. There is -48 volts on the ring and 0 or ground on the tip. When telephones started using touch tone in place of rotary dial the touch tone pad was sensitive to the polarity. I have a couple of old desk phones with the old touch tone pads that don't work with the 723. Newer touch tone phones had something called polarity guard which was a diode bridge to always feed the correct polarity to the touch tone pad.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    So I bought the new base unit box that straight talk said I needed. It works fine...except it re-sets the clock on my phones (AT&T - Panasonic) to GMT time. Five hours ahead of my eastern time zone. I can manually re-set the phones but as soon as I receive an incoming call they re-set to GMT time. Has anyone else had this problem?

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    404
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rtripboy View Post
    So I bought the new base unit box that straight talk said I needed. It works fine...except it re-sets the clock on my phones (AT&T - Panasonic) to GMT time. Five hours ahead of my eastern time zone. I can manually re-set the phones but as soon as I receive an incoming call they re-set to GMT time. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yes, the new Moxee is changing the time on my Panosonic phones every time I get a call. WTF is up with this?
    I believe with that loud squealing dial tone and clock change I'll be going back to my ZTE. What a POS this Moxee is.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Central Iowa
    Posts
    1,312
    Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Yes, the new Moxee is changing the time on my Panosonic phones every time I get a call. WTF is up with this?
    I believe with that loud squealing dial tone and clock change I'll be going back to my ZTE. What a POS this Moxee is.
    Do you use the speakerphone or not?

    I know I had issues with Panasonic phones with the Huawei H226C. My issue was whenever I used any Panasonic speakerphone, it would just pick up all the background which would make your own voice sound very very bad. If I do not use speakerphone, it would work just fine.

    I even tried other Panasonic speakerphones. They had the same issue. Then I tried a non-Panasonic speakerphone, I did not have this issue. So I tracked it down to Panasonic phones and Huawei. I did some more digging, and found other Huawei/Panasonic issues.

    So I gave in, and used the Huawei box with Panasonic phones till they released the ZTE box. When I got the ZTE box, I never had this issue since with the Panasonic speakerphones.

    I am wondering if Panasonic phones with Moxee boxes is doing a feedback loop on itself for some reason.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone have experience with "Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone" Service?
    By RodBsr in forum Landline Replacement / VOIP
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2015, 01:49 PM
  2. Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone issue
    By paroots in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 09:29 AM
  4. Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone at Walmart
    By Shoeshine. in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 01:37 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 07:10 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks