Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk CDMA Home Phone Obsolete as of December 31, 2019

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    You can also place the Homebase in an optimal position where signal is the best in the house. For me this is at a particular window. Signal there is excellent. Three feet inside the house it drops to just ok. The difference for AT&T and Sprint is even more dramatic. At the window they work. Anywhere a few feet inside the house they are unusable.

If AT&T signal is better where you are, there is an AT&T version of the Homebase. Consumer Cellular sells the box and service for it. That one is not VoLTE. AT&T is expected to continue 3G voice for a couple of years.
    Yea, I remember with the old CDMA Home Phone box, I had to put it up stairs. If I didn't, the signal would bounce all over the place. Plus it would interfere with the cordless phone base. Since switching to the ZTE LTE Home Phone box, I can put it anywhere and get a good signal and get no interference like before, but I left it up stairs since the old setup was OK too.

Device(s)
    moto classic brick
    Feedback Score
    hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have two of the huawei's at two locations, and as of today, they are still trucking...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by old_school View Post
    hate to resurrect an old thread, but I have two of the huawei's at two locations, and as of today, they are still trucking...
    That is because Verizon still has their CDMA network up. Verizon is not going to drop the CDMA network till the start of 2021 so far.

Feedback Score
    I saw another version of the LTE home phone device by Moxee aka KonnectOne with the model number being K500HPEL and it is currently sold at walmart for the usual price of the ZTE. Not sure if that device is simply a rebranded ZTE but it supposedly supports AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands.

https://www.konnectone.com/specs-talk
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...oxee/116379799
    https://opendevelopment.verizonwirel...e/device/11037
    https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=25037

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcthegamer View Post
    I saw another version of the LTE home phone device by Moxee aka KonnectOne with the model number being K500HPEL and it is currently sold at walmart for the usual price of the ZTE. Not sure if that device is simply a rebranded ZTE but it supposedly supports AT&T and T-Mobile LTE bands.

https://www.konnectone.com/specs-talk
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...oxee/116379799
    https://opendevelopment.verizonwirel...e/device/11037
    https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=25037
    This sound good because I just looked at my local Walmart via the sites, and I see them listed as "limited stock" in a lot of my local Walmarts. That means there is only one maybe two in stock in each store. I have not been in Walmart since this COVID-19 hit. So I am not sure if they are in the stores tho.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcthegamer View Post
    The model numbers don't agree between Straight Talk and Walmart, so it's hard to know exactly what you are getting. The generic KonnectONE product page lists compatibility with all carriers. The Verizon page (K500HPEL) only lists their LTE bands. It is common now for the Tracfone companies to use devices that support multiple carriers, but are shipped with a single carrier SIM card. This Moxee home phone will likely come with a Verizon SIM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Went to Walmart on Sunday and bought the Moxee brand Straight Talk Home Phone box.

First impressions: It looks identical to the ZTE Z723EL with the exception of a grid kind of thing at the top. The notification bar on the front (on/off, battery, voicemail indicator and signal bars) is almost identical as well. The back side is a little different with the sim card slot on the back instead of under the bottom cover. But the phone line slots and on/off button, dual antenna mounts and charger slot are about the same as the ZTE.

I'm getting five bars of service so a good signal. The call quality is as good as the ZTE if not better (callers seem just a bit louder). The callers say I sound great and very natural, not muffled or "tinny" either.

The one HUGE difference in this model and the Huawei and ZTE is the "dial tone" and the ringing sound when you make a call. It does not sound like the old POTS line dial tone or any other tone I've ever heard. It actually sounds like a 300 hz tone. Yes, both the dial tone and the ring tone both sound like a 300 hz tone. I thought it was something wrong until I realized that is their brand of tone. I'll be honest and say I'm not crazy about that at all. It would have been nice to have a more traditional sounding dial tone and ring tone. But since I'm using it for a home phone, it'll work fine. Just a bit of a shock.

So far, between me and others calling me, I've had none of the crazy tone issues with the Moxee like I did with the ZTE. Fingers crossed this new brand of box solves the issue. I'm not going to have much of a chance to go back to the ZTE. As soon as I finished the install of the Moxee box, I tossed the ZTE in the trash. Good riddance.

I used the automated transfer service with Straight Talk and the Moxee box was up and running in about 10 minutes.

So far, so good. I'll keep everyone posted.

Feedback Score
    Just received below email that it was time to upgrade:

Every year, networks continue to evolve. Advances in technology have paved the way for new standards, like Voice Over LTE (VoLTE), which gives you an improved and faster call connection.
    Your home phone wasn’t built to be compatible with these network changes and will lose Service soon.
    We love having you as a customer and want to make sure that you continue to receive the best service available with Straight Talk. Please visit our website to replace your home phone.
    We’ll transfer any remaining balance on your current plan, along with your Auto-Refill∞ enrollment.

Feedback Score

Transferring from Huawei to Moxee

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post

I used the automated transfer service with Straight Talk and the Moxee box was up and running in about 10 minutes.

So far, so good. I'll keep everyone posted.
    First, thank you so much Mark for the information you are providing to this forum.

I just picked up the Moxee box to replace the old Huawei. I remember initially setting this up was kind of a pain because there didn't seem to be a lot of information on this set up vs their cell phone service. It still seem to be the same now. Can you please describe how you did the transfer to the Moxee. Is the automated transfer service just a matter of going to straighttalk.com/Activate, and select the radio button option "Activate my phone with a number transferred from another company." ?

TIA

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellsurf View Post
    First, thank you so much Mark for the information you are providing to this forum.

I just picked up the Moxee box to replace the old Huawei. I remember initially setting this up was kind of a pain because there didn't seem to be a lot of information on this set up vs their cell phone service. It still seem to be the same now. Can you please describe how you did the transfer to the Moxee. Is the automated transfer service just a matter of going to straighttalk.com/Activate, and select the radio button option "Activate my phone with a number transferred from another company." ?

TIA
    I am also interested in the transfer to the Moxee. A few months ago I had to transfer my elderly parents phone from the old ZTE to the newer 4G version. It was a nightmare and took over 4 hours and multiple transfers to various phone reps. I now have to do a transfer for another elderly family member. mThe reps were not familiar with the home phone unit and could only perform the transfer with regular cell phones. I called the activation number listed in the brochure (1-800-299-7784). Perhaps there is a better number to reach someone familiar with the home phone system.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    Just received below email that it was time to upgrade:
    ....etc................
    Got that email too so I ordered the Z723EL. Got a 50% discount so it cost $25 and had to buy a $15 plan at the same time. Was bummed out because the 723 only showed a RED antenna indicator. After I activated it got GREEN and 4 bars of signal and a new number. I want to try it foe a few days before I move my real home phone number to the new box.

One major downside for me is that the 723 has the tip and ring of the phone jack reversed so my old touch tone phone does not generate tones unless I reverse the wiring in the phone itself. My wireless phones (3 off one base) work just fine but I want a working non powered phone to keep as a backup for power failures.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene44 View Post
    Got that email too so I ordered the Z723EL. Got a 50% discount so it cost $25 and had to buy a $15 plan at the same time. Was bummed out because the 723 only showed a RED antenna indicator. After I activated it got GREEN and 4 bars of signal and a new number. I want to try it foe a few days before I move my real home phone number to the new box.

One major downside for me is that the 723 has the tip and ring of the phone jack reversed so my old touch tone phone does not generate tones unless I reverse the wiring in the phone itself. My wireless phones (3 off one base) work just fine but I want a working non powered phone to keep as a backup for power failures.
    How did you obtain the 50% off discount?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone(Verizon) Tracfone (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    How did you obtain the 50% off discount?
    It was a link in my account saying my Huawei was being phased out. Thought it said 25% and 2,000 bonus points. Put it in my cart and the $49.99 became $25. Seems to be a one time thing. Looking later the site said only 1 discount for the home phone device.

Feedback Score
    I just had a nightmare experience with the Moxee boxes. My mom lives in Buffalo NY (150 miles away) and has had a ST Home phone (Huawei model) for years. It has been trouble free. I got the email about phasing these out and purchased the Moxee box. I had no problem porting her old number and activating the Moxee. It had four bars of signal strength on the new box. I could call out with no problem, BUT anyone calling in went straight to voicemail. I called customer service and they had me try several things, but nothing worked. Thinking I had a defective unit, I went out purchased a second Moxee box. Ported the number and everything went OK. Tried making a call. All good. Tried calling the number, it went straight to voicemail. Short story is that I spent over 5 hours on the phone with customer service and they could not figure out the issue. We ended up agreeing that I should return the boxes. I ended up reactivating the old Huawei box as my mother urgently needed a phone. The Huawei box is working fine, as it has all along.

What do I do now? I still need to find a replacement for the Huawei box and I have no confidence that ST has the bugs worked out on the new boxes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast