Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CAR SMART: interesting new TF mobile hotspot & more

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have one of the legacy $20/mo. AT&T Mobley connected car plans. It is sweet.
    I haven't looked at the Spark much.

Remains to be seen what this new one will require. What it can do is one thing, but will it require data from the vehicle and if so what?

But given the costs, I doubt many experimenters/tinkerers will bother.

Maybe if TW's options would work with it?
    The normal plans worked with the Unimax device they sold (sell?). I just never could find much info on it and bit carried in my local stores.

Just saw this https://bestmvno.com/total-wireless/...mobile-hotspot

So it may play into this new device/service.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-21-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    My hotspot (ST Z291DL) which I have as a backup and for travel is much faster (12 vs 1 ) download. But I can't use the hotspot for my home computer. I average 10 MB per month. At the hotspot rates that would be $100 a month.
    Did you ever look at the TW option?

As best I can tell it uses the regular TW plans. That was $100 for 25GB and now is 100GB high speed and unlimited 2G speed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    You might be a good candidate for Visible if you have a phone they allow. If you get on a party plan with 3 other people it's $25 to you with completely separate bills and with unlimited hotspot I see posts from people on reddit using it for home internet. You may have already looked into this I just figured I'd mention it. Hotspot is supposed to be throttled at 5mbs but people are getting better speeds than that.
    Thanks for the input but couldn't do the 3 people thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Did you ever look at the TW option?

As best I can tell it uses the regular TW plans. That was $100 for 25GB and now is 100GB high speed and unlimited 2G speed.
    Thanks. I think I asked them and they told me a smartphone plan can't be used with a hotspot if that's what you mean.

Feedback Score
    I haven't loomed at the Spark much.

Remains to be seen what this new one will require. What it can do is one thing, but will it require data from the vehicle and if so what?...
    Take a look at the Konnect web page. It collects a lot.

https://www.konnectone.com/specs-automate

"...plug the Moxee Automate 3 into the OBDII port in your car to receive maintenance information, get roadside assistance, analyze driving behavior, monitor and locate your car, and keep connected on the go."

"Sensors
    Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Telematics Sensor"

"Keep a car running smoothly

Monitors the car even when parked

Takes care of roadside problems

Keeps new drivers safe

GPS locates car or loved ones

Stay Connected with WiFi Hotpsot"

"Once installed Automate will start reading vehicle data from the car within 10 minutes."

This is no different than the things that are built into many new cars.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I think I asked them and they told me a smartphone plan can't be used with a hotspot if that's what you mean.
    I don't see any other options from them. Nowhere on the site are specific options for the hotspot mentioned.

Of course the only mention I see is for activating. Not even an option to purchase one.

The boxes I've seen pictured always showed the single line, $35 option.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Take a look at the Konnect web page. It collects a lot.

This is no different than the things that are built into many new cars.
    Again, that's what it can collect. I can (and have) do all that with any OBDII reader.

The question is what data does it have to have for the hotspot to function/stay enabled.

If I set it up in a car then remove an power separately, does the hotspot work? (Would be handy for use in older vehicles, like my '70 CDV)

Feedback Score
    I don't see any other options from them. Nowhere on the site are specific options for the hotspot mentioned.
    I noticed that activation ability too. But when I asked about plans to go with it they said they don't allow hotspot devices anymore. I guess just a link not removed from when they did. So from what I gather, no hotspot devices or plans on TW.

Feedback Score
    Again, that's what it can collect. I can (and have) do all that with any OBDII reader.

The question is what data does it have to have for the hotspot to function/stay enabled.

If I set it up in a car then remove an power separately, does the hotspot work? (Would be handy for use in older vehicles, like my '70 CDV)
    I was thinking the same. Could one just determine what plug pins are the power and hook to any 12v dc power source and have it work. Could even wire it to my motorcycle.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I was thinking the same. Could one just determine what plug pins are the power and hook to any 12v dc power source and have it work. Could even wire it to my motorcycle.
    You can buy power supplies for the old AT&T Mobley device mentioned earlier. But those devices didn't communicate with the car.

These guys claim to bypass/simulate a vehicle.
    http://www.peraltaproducts.com/

Feedback Score

Yes, it remains to be seen how much they tie it into being plugged in a car OBD. My speculation is that it is locked down tight. Someone should try it.

The power pins are 5-ground and 16-power.

http://www.auterraweb.com/obdiipinout.html

Also, does it use a removable SIM? If so, will the SIM work in a different hotspot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taxmantoo View Post
    They say 2GB every thirty days. and they say 24GB a year, I wonder which it is?
    It's 2GB every 30 days. If you go over that you need to buy a data add-on till the next month. No data carry over either. (except for the add on)
    Also, still haven't seen the price. Depending on your usage pattern, may not be that big a deal vs just carrying a regular HS device.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It's 2GB every 30 days. If you go over that you need to buy a data add-on till the next month.
    Where did you see that?

Not saying it's wrong, just un-TF like.
    They've marketed 90 day/1yr cards in the monthly numbers for a long time,

Feedback Score
    Where did you see that?

Not saying it's wrong, just un-TF like.
    They've marketed 90 day/1yr cards in the monthly numbers for a long time,
    I went on chat with a CSR. That's what they said, but we know CSRs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2