Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SIMPLE Mobile branded phone on SAFELINK?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (mobile), iPad mini 2 on GV (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice & T-Mobile via Tracfone/SafeLink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The first 6 digits on a SIM card indicates the carrier. You can do a Google search using your numbers, or post them here and we will tell you.
    My suspicions were correct: ATT

Information on SIM card number
    Network name Cingular
    Operator name Cingular (now part of the new at&t)
    Country or global network United States
    MCC-MNC 310-410
    Network name Iowa RSA No. 2 Limited Partnership
    Operator name Iowa RSA No. 2 Ltd Partnership
    Country or global network United States
    MCC-MNC 311-410

"Cingular"…now, that's nostagic, ain't it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Boston View Post
    what irks me about TF, is the total loss of service when crossing thru S. Ontario, no matter the plan or card–a big reason to have a cell phone is for safety when traveling, but if I break down there, I can't even call CAA!…does ANY PP'd phone at least allow roaming in Canada?
    Not aware of any International roaming with the MVNOs. Most don't even roam within the USA. This is mostly major carrier Postpaid stuff.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Since I sometimes travel to sparsely pop'd areas, I used to prefer either ATT or VZN, but now TM's coverage map looks to have improved so it doesn't really matter (dunno about Sprint–do they still exist separately?)…(what irks me about TF, is the total loss of service when crossing thru S. Ontario, no matter the plan or card–a big reason to have a cell phone is for safety when traveling, but if I break down there, I can't even call CAA!…does ANY PP'd phone at least allow roaming in Canada?)

As far as I've understood, I've only ever had ATT on any cell phone, so can't compare services based on experience.

How can I definitively discern the carrier by examining the SIM? Is there a code?
    Prepaid Services With Canadian Roaming Available
    AT&T
    T-Mobile
    Ting
    Mint
    Ultra

And probably others I'm not remembering at the moment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Exclamation $60 NEW iPhone SE 32gb is back on BestBuy.com!!

Probably not for long:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-...?skuId=6370444

Model: SMAPISEG32SV3P5P SKU: 6370444

This time, I threw caution to the wind, and ordered for local store pickup 10 days from now…and upon checking the return policy a second time (14 days—as good as anywhere), it now appears the $45 restocking fee does NOT apply to prepaid phones:

"Cell phones (exclude prepaid phones), cellular tablets and cellular wearables"

Also, 3 different posters affirmed it is a BRAND NEW phone, NOT refurbished:

At any rate, after getting baited by Target a second time (Fri. night change to "Limited Supply" on target.com prompted two lengthy phone calls to their mobile mgr. who first claimed they had them, he had seen them, then later disparaged target.com's inventory system and that TF had pulled all the SEs off the shelves for an unknown reason, tried to interest me in the inferior iPhone 6, claiming SE was just a 5…ugh), uncertainty about the Walmart offer (phone only?), and after seeing the $59.99 price point, conditioned me not to accept paying 2x that, I POUNCED. Had begun to regret not pouncing earlier (I'd have had it in my hands by now). If I have a problem w/SafeLink, and return issues w/BB, it's still gonna be snappier & slicker than my iPod mini 2 (16gb…ugh!…which I mostly now use for calls from home & where there's WiFi).

PLUS: it will run iOS 13!!! …and since it's new, it also qualifies for 1 FREE YEAR of AppleTV+

Let's just hope BB doesn't screw up somehow…
    Last edited by Scott in Boston; 11-17-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Feedback Score
    They must be out already, nothing within 250 miles

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
    They must be out already, nothing within 250 miles

Sent from my iPad using HoFo
    Still available for pickup at my local store…

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Okay…now they're sold out locally again…but keep checking daily as i did…they will probably be restocked again at some point. Took 3 days in my case, but it paid off.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Unhappy No dice: SIMPLE Mobile devices NOT re-brandable!

I currently have an [LG441G] ATT on my SL acct. Would like to upgrade to this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-...?skuId=6370444

I understand SM runs on TM's network and am willing to make the change at this price to finally have an iPhone.
    Well, after several different attempts on Safelinkwireless.com did not succeed, and speaking to "Jonor" on 3rd tier of support, they're all saying "it is not a Tracfone branded phone…we cannot rebrand it to a Tracfone or Safelink phone." They all acknowledge that Simple Mobile is owned by Tracfone, but as "Jonor" explained to me, 3 Tracfone brands cannot be rebranded: Simple Mobile, GoSmart & Telcel…these three brands have some special "code number" necessary to rebrand the phone that is not in their system at Tracfone. All the other TF brands CAN be rebranded, but not these 3.

Well, I knew this might happen…but for the price, I figured it was worth the risk…now I'm not so sure…

It's not cost-effective to purchase SM plans for a year (30 day plans only), just so I can unlock it after a year…so, it will forever be locked to Simple Mobile…can it be Jail-broken, then restored back for iOS updates, but stay unbound to SM?

I doubt I'd get my full refund from Best Buy, especially now that it's registered under my Apple ID, it's no longer a "new" phone.

Could try to sell it on eBay, I guess…

ANY IDEAS? SOLUTIONS?

OR…just use it as an auxilliary WiFi phone (much handier than my iPod mini, which has been my main home phone since Google Voice broke service to my 1st gen Obi) and iPod Touch…twice the storage as my iPad (4x my iPod touch 4th gen).

Once I upgrade it to iOS 13 (came w/11 installed), I can sign up for one free year of Apple TV+…

Unless somebody wants to buy it off me for close to what I paid…???

Feedback Score
    Hmm. Would it be possible to get Safelink to switch you to a T-Mobile SIM and use that SIM in the phone? You might have to find a cheap DL Tracfone in the meantime.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Hmm. Would it be possible to get Safelink to switch you to a T-Mobile SIM and use that SIM in the phone? You might have to find a cheap DL Tracfone in the meantime.
    Apparently, without the "magic SM code" TF claims NOT to have in their system, no other SIM will work.

BTW, I still have my original Safelink service on my LG 441G flip phone (not a bad phone at all, really: TF provided it for free when they made me switch phones, and I complained about the phone they sent me)…never executed the switch. [FINGERS CROSSED].

d/l'ing iOS 13 on the phone now…my outdated iTunes on Yosemite/MacBook said iOS 11 was the latest version, but the phone itself showed 13 available…if SM has crippled iOS updates, I'll prolly sell the phone. Gotta have iOS 13 to get AppleTV+ deal.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Maybe try activating a new line on TF with it. Don't mention SL.

TF has done other SM phones

And I'm pretty sure any TF brand SIM will work despite what you were told. CSR tend to have limited knowledge and cite the company line.

Only way to know for sure is try.

You can get s 3 carrier SIM kit for $1. Activate a new line using the AT&T nano SIM and the cheapest airtime you can, and try it in the phone.

Can transfer that new number to the TMO nano SIM to test that too.

You can try the Verizon nano SIM too but the IMEI may not pass.

At least you know what works in the phone.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Maybe try activating a new line on TF with it. Don't mention SL.

TF has done other SM phones

And I'm pretty sure any TF brand SIM will work despite what you were told. CSR tend to have limited knowledge and cite the company line.

Only way to know for sure is try.

You can get s 3 carrier SIM kit for $1. Activate a new line using the AT&T nano SIM and the cheapest airtime you can, and try it in the phone.

Can transfer that new number to the TMO nano SIM to test that too.

You can try the Verizon nano SIM too but the IMEI may not pass.

At least you know what works in the phone.
    Thanks for the tips, ST Dog!

I am inclined to believe you…an interesting detail: All this evening, from the time I installed the SIMPLE Mobile SIM in the SE, in the upper left screen, after 4 bars, it proudly displayed "SIMPLE"…then, I upgraded iOS to 13.2.3 using the direct method on the iPhone (old iTunes 12.6.0.100 on my MacBook Pro thought the iOS 11 preinstalled was the latest). Took a good while, so I began getting ready to go out for the night. Just before I left, I confirmed the install was successful, but had no time to check anything else. Left it plugged in to my MacBook and went out for a few hours. Just returned, and now I notice in the upper left, after the 4 bars, it now displays "TFW"…this gives me a bit more hope! iTunes now also recognizes the phone as running iOS 13.2.3…

Upon further investigation, under…

Settings > Cellular > Network Selection: "TFW"

Automatic is toggled ON

Settings > Cellular > Carrier Services: "TFW Services"

Directory Assistance 411

"TFW"

And after thinking about it…the phone came in its original box, shrink wrapped tight. All the SIMPLE Mobile stuff, SIM included, was stuck on the OUTSIDE bottom of the box, inside a little cardboard sleeve. So neither TF nor SM could get their mitts on the phone inside to change the internals, could they? It's all dependent on what SIM you activate it with the first time—am I wrong?

So, ST Dog: I can just pick up Tracfone 3 carrier SIM kit for $1 anywhere? Along with a cheap airtime card? Do I *have* to add airtime?

I don't quite understand this part:

"Can transfer that new number to the TMO nano SIM to test that too.
    You can try the Verizon nano SIM too but the IMEI may not pass"

Can I do this without talking to TF? On Tracfone.com, or via the automated phone menu?

At what point do I contact Safelink to transfer my current Safelink account & number to the iPhone SE? Without mentioning prior attempts…
    Last edited by Scott in Boston; 11-23-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you cannot find the complete 3 service provider SIM Kit locally, order it from the Tracfone e-Bay Store, ships free and fast.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4

Tracfone does not ask for a phone`s IMEI when activating a Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile BYOP SIM. If Safelink follows the same procedure they would never know what phone you were putting the SIM in to stop you. Sometimes things succeed or fail simply on what you say. Prior knowledge improves the chances of success. This should work if you can just slip a SIM activation with the SL program past them.
    The more you interact with them, the greater the possibility of previous conversation records they might have in front of them giving you away.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So, ST Dog: I can just pick up Tracfone 3 carrier SIM kit for $1 anywhere? Along with a cheap airtime card? Do I *have* to add airtime?
    Many places. Best Buy is my normal stop.
    Seen Dollar General and Family Dollar mentioned.

Not WalMart or Target as in store price was ~$10

Yes you need airtime for the new line. No free time with activation anymore.

I don't quite understand this part:

"Can transfer that new number to the TMO nano SIM to test that too.
    You can try the Verizon nano SIM too but the IMEI may not pass"

Can I do this without talking to TF? On Tracfone.com, or via the automated phone menu?
    Yes you can transfer online. Phone should work for switch to TMO but the IMEI stuff for Verizon may cause an issue.
    At what point do I contact Safelink to transfer my current Safelink account & number to the iPhone SE? Without mentioning prior attempts…
    Well, this was just testing TF SIMs in the phone.

Then you'd know that a cheap TF branded donor with the right SIM could be used. You use that donor with SL then SIM swap to the iPhone.

None of those exercises rebrands the phone.

For that you have to try activating it on TF (again, no mention of SL) not using BYOP.

You could try that instead, with your preferred carrier. Again, need airtime. And they will probably need to send a SIM (might be able to use BYOP SIM though). Others have more experience with that.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you cannot find the complete 3 service provider SIM Kit locally, order it from the Tracfone e-Bay Store, ships free and fast.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Ke...MAAOSwVBVb02o4

Tracfone does not ask for a phone`s IMEI when activating a Tracfone AT&T or T-Mobile BYOP SIM. If Safelink follows the same procedure they would never know what phone you were putting the SIM in to stop you.
    Not sure if SL allows BYOP though. Thought it had to be a TF branded phone. I know that was true long after TF started BYOP.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast