Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SIMPLE Mobile branded phone on SAFELINK?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (mobile), iPad mini 2 on GV (WiFi)
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice & T-Mobile via Tracfone/SafeLink
    Feedback Score

SIMPLE Mobile branded phone on SAFELINK?

I currently have an [LG441G] ATT on my SL acct. Would like to upgrade to this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/simple-...?skuId=6370444

I understand SM runs on TM's network and am willing to make the change at this price to finally have an iPhone.
    Last edited by Scott in Boston; 11-14-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    The SE works on all 3 carriers.
    They might rebrand it. A lot of SEs have been, but I don't recall any for SafeLink use.

What size SIM does the 421 use? If nano you should be able to SIM swap.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Correction: it's actually an LG441G (flip phone)…no, I don't think the SIMs are swappable.

So, to get the SM iPhone SE rebranded (to what? Tracfone? I've never heard of a Safelink branded phone), you gotta speak with a rep? Was hoping to activate it via the Safelink website.

The catch is, if the phone isn't Safelink-able, the BB restocking fee is $45!! So it becomes an extra WiFi device…

[Last time I spoke with TF, they had illegitimately canceled my SL service (rep agreed it shouldn't have happened and could not explain why), made me reapply for SL, and in the process wiped out my 19k+ rollover minutes (despite assurances that would not happen). 2 hrs. haggling w/highest level CS person I could get for only 900 replacement minutes (I declined)…and they finally HUNG UP ON ME.]

Feedback Score
    Is that a new phone for $59.99 or refurbished?

Maybe you can use one of the Tracfone BYOP sims in it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
    Is that a new phone for $59.99 or refurbished?
    Still waiting for a response to that Q on BB's site. It was reported as a "pre-Black Friday deal" where I learned of it.

Under "Specifications" it does state:
    Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts 1 year
    Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor 1 year

…but, we all know how reliable website info can be. I won't touch any non-Apple refurbs, and I want a NEW battery.

[Last Friday, Target.com indicated my local store had this in stock (it still does):
    After waiting 15 min. to be helped, the staff agreed their inventory system showed 4 in stock, however, he could not locate them (he called another area store the system claimed had 2 left, and that staff witnessed 3 sold that very day, but didn't have any left). I left my name & # in case they turn up, and made a couple complaints to Target.com, but nothing seems to have changed.]

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in Boston View Post
    Still waiting for a response to that Q on BB's site. It was reported as a "pre-Black Friday deal" where I learned of it.

Under "Specifications" it does state:
    Manufacturer's Warranty - Parts 1 year
    Manufacturer's Warranty - Labor 1 year

…but, we all know how reliable website info can be. I won't touch any non-Apple refurbs, and I want a NEW battery.

[Last Friday, Target.com indicated my local store had this in stock (it still does):
    After waiting 15 min. to be helped, the staff agreed their inventory system showed 4 in stock, however, he could not locate them (he called another area store the system claimed had 2 left, and that staff witnessed 3 sold that very day, but didn't have any left). I left my name & # in case they turn up, and made a couple complaints to Target.com, but nothing seems to have changed.]
    Amazon has the space gray and white Tracfone SE for $139.99

https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Appl...3764956&sr=8-1

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Ah, well…now it looks like it's sold out at BB…

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted the URL to the deal here!

Maybe I'm just too risk-averse with my meager $$…

Feedback Score
    I have had several issues with Target's inventory system. They say that something is in stock, but the shelf is empty and nothing is in the stockroom. They can check it accurately at the store level on that handheld scanner thing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Amazon has the space gray and white Tracfone SE for $139.99

https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Appl...3764956&sr=8-1
    Yes, I've had that in my shopping cart now for weeks, and prefer the Space Gray, but I'm hesitant about Amazon for returns. Much simpler to drive it back to a brick & mortar store in case I get a dud. Plus, I believe that is a Verizon flavored TF…concerned it will make SafeLink upgrade from my ATT phone more complicated.

Have had a comparable WalMart offer (Silver) in my cart even longer, and "Mae from TracFone Wireless" has repeatedly stated in Q&A it is a brand new phone, which will work with SafeLink (encouraging), but now "Community Answer" has answered my Q about included accessories: NONE. "This does not include charger, cable and ear buds." (discouraging). Not sure the answer is authoritative…

I'm still open for experienced wisdom concerning a SIMPLE Mobile phone upgrade on SafeLink: SM's site offers the SE for $124.99 incl./required 30-day service…

Feedback Score
    I understand SM runs on TM's network and am willing to make the change at this price to finally have an iPhone.
    What carrier do you actually prefer? Did the LG441G come from SafeLink with an AT&T SIM? They usually default to T-Mobile, even in areas that don't much have that service.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I've had that in my shopping cart now for weeks, and prefer the Space Gray, but I'm hesitant about Amazon for returns. Much simpler to drive it back to a brick & mortar store in case I get a dud. Plus, I believe that is a Verizon flavored TF…concerned it will make SafeLink upgrade from my ATT phone more complicated.

Have had a comparable WalMart offer (Silver) in my cart even longer, and "Mae from TracFone Wireless" has repeatedly stated in Q&A it is a brand new phone, which will work with SafeLink (encouraging), but now "Community Answer" has answered my Q about included accessories: NONE. "This does not include charger, cable and ear buds." (discouraging). Not sure the answer is authoritative…

I'm still open for experienced wisdom concerning a SIMPLE Mobile phone upgrade on SafeLink: SM's site offers the SE for $124.99 incl./required 30-day service…
    Just noticed in the Amazon ad that it mentions Simple Mobile in the description.

Note: This phone is carrier locked; Customers must have had their locked device activated on SIMPLE Mobile service for no fewer than 12 months, redeemed air time cards in no fewer than 12 months, and not have had their telephone number recycled or ported.

Tracfone in the title but Simple Mobile in the description. Wonder what Amazon is actually shipping.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Normally you can activate a Tracfone BYOP AT&T SIM without ever disclosing the actual phone because they do not ask for the IMEI.
    Not sure if SL asks, or if some CSR might mistakenly ask and the IMEI give away that it is SM branded. Also, ST may not care what Tracfone sister companies phone is being used. Regardless, you are not in a position to risk a restocking fee purchase.

Feedback Score
    Tracfone in the title but Simple Mobile in the description. Wonder what Amazon is actually shipping.
    The full part number listed on Amazon is TFAPISEC32GYP.1, which would be TF/VZW.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    What carrier do you actually prefer? Did the LG441G come from SafeLink with an AT&T SIM?
    Since I sometimes travel to sparsely pop'd areas, I used to prefer either ATT or VZN, but now TM's coverage map looks to have improved so it doesn't really matter (dunno about Sprint–do they still exist separately?)…(what irks me about TF, is the total loss of service when crossing thru S. Ontario, no matter the plan or card–a big reason to have a cell phone is for safety when traveling, but if I break down there, I can't even call CAA!…does ANY PP'd phone at least allow roaming in Canada?)

As far as I've understood, I've only ever had ATT on any cell phone, so can't compare services based on experience.

How can I definitively discern the carrier by examining the SIM? Is there a code?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    How can I definitively discern the carrier by examining the SIM? Is there a code?
    The first 6 digits on a SIM card indicates the carrier. You can do a Google search using your numbers, or post them here and we will tell you.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast