Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BYOP Galaxy S5 shows up as not compatible

Feedback Score

BYOP Galaxy S5 shows up as not compatible

I've been having a problem for a while with an unlocked Verizon BYOP Galaxy S5 that I passed on to my wife. I activated it with a new SIM a few months ago, transferring her number from Straighttalk. When trying to add service cards to it, I have been getting messages that say the network is being upgraded and my phone "is not compatible and cannot be activated." Which, of course, I'm not trying to do. I've been able to get cards added in chat at times, and once it just worked even with the message.

But the most recent time, the chat rep was adamant that the phone wasn't compatible, and the IMEI shows as non-VoLTE. Everything I've read says the S5 should work for VoLTE, and when I use the Verizon compatibility checker, it says my phone is perfect for use on their network.

So, I'm looking for advice on getting rid of this annoying message. I do have another Tracfone Verizon SIM I could use, if transferring service to another SIM is a good way to handle this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Is that an Advanced Calling 1.0 phone?

Maybe they pulled them from the MVNO whitelist since you generally can't enable VoLTE on them.

Do you have an active SIM of the correct size w/ VoLTE you could test?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post

Maybe they pulled them from the MVNO whitelist since you generally can't enable VoLTE on them.

This is what I was thinking too. Lots of the Advanced Calling 1.0 phones need to have true Verizon account/service to get activated right.

Feedback Score

I don't know what "Advanced Calling 1.0 phone" means, or how to tell, so I can't answer that one.

Unfortunately, I don't have a SIM of the right size to check - I replaced the S5 with an S7, and I believe those use a different size SIM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ttfitz View Post
    I don't know what "Advanced Calling 1.0 phone" means, or how to tell, so I can't answer that one.
    Go to settings and try to enable advanced calling features.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-97448/

Should bring up a splash screen and then tell you to login to your Verizon account.

Unfortunately, I don't have a SIM of the right size to check - I replaced the S5 with an S7, and I believe those use a different size SIM.
    If you have a triple punch SIM around you can use the part you remove as an adaptor from nano to micro.

Feedback Score
    Go to settings and try to enable advanced calling features.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...ge-base-97448/

Should bring up a splash screen and then tell you to login to your Verizon account.
    Okay, so looks like it is Advanced Calling 1.0.

If you have a triple punch SIM around you can use the part you remove as an adaptor from nano to micro.
    I might have that around, I'll have to try that, then.

My wife's work phone is an iPhone on Verizon, would swapping the SIM from it to the S5 make it possible for me to fix this problem?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Advanced Calling 1.0 seems to need a true Verizon account, and there is not way around that we know about. Advanced Calling 2.0 seems like you don't need a true Verizon account, and that is why Verizon MVNO's can use it with no issue.

SIM swapping might be able to get service on the S5, but once Verizon shutdown their CDMA network, the S5 will not work unless you can get the Advanced Calling activated.

Feedback Score
    Okay, so looks like it is Advanced Calling 1.0.

My wife's work phone is an iPhone on Verizon, would swapping the SIM from it to the S5 make it possible for me to fix this problem?
    The Advanced Calling version is programmed into the phone, so a SIM swap will not change it. Some phones in the era of the Galaxy S5 were updated by Verizon by OTA, but many were not. Those that were not upgraded will become bricks at the end of CDMA, and can't even be activated anymore.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It would prove that you can/can't get VoLTE active.

If an SIM w/ VoLTE allows you to enable HD Voice then there are routes to use the phone.

But being Adv Calling 1.0 it's not likely today.

You could activate a SIM w/ another phone and use it until CDMA shutdown. Maybe Verizon will provide a solution. But I really doubt it. These are all old, unsupported phones. And they work fine for Verizon customers. No incentive to fix a problem w/ such old phones on MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    It would prove that you can/can't get VoLTE active.

If an SIM w/ VoLTE allows you to enable HD Voice then there are routes to use the phone.

But being Adv Calling 1.0 it's not likely today.

You could activate a SIM w/ another phone and use it until CDMA shutdown. Maybe Verizon will provide a solution. But I really doubt it. These are all old, unsupported phones. And they work fine for Verizon customers. No incentive to fix a problem w/ such old phones on MVNOs.
    Well, I put my SIM from the S7 in it, and still no HD Voice activation, so I guess I'm out of luck if I'm following. I don't know that my wife really wants to use it (she is used to her iPhone from work), it was a temporary thing just to keep her number from Straighttalk on the cheap, but it would be nice to not have to decide anything right away.

Don't know why Tracfone is being so hard-nosed about adding minutes/data/text onto the phone given the CDMA shutdown isn't happening right away, though.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Since the phone is active and being used as a backup/ phone number park, you could continue trying to add airtime to keep it active. You may have better luck with Tracfone Miami customer escalations dept. The phone needs to be active for Verizon to have a reason to ever fix the Adv Calling 1.0 problem.

It may be cheaper to just buy a new Tracfone phone bundle.
    Are you familiar with this Tracfone e-Bay store airtime special - a complete SIM kit + 1200/1200/3000/365 days airtime card $39.99?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...0AAOSwp1Bc5a~n

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Since the phone is active and being used as a backup/ phone number park, you could continue trying to add airtime to keep it active. You may have better luck with Tracfone Miami customer escalations dept. The phone needs to be active for Verizon to have a reason to ever fix the Adv Calling 1.0 problem.

It may be cheaper to just buy a new Tracfone phone bundle.
    Are you familiar with this Tracfone e-Bay store airtime special - a complete SIM kit + 1200/1200/3000/365 days airtime card $39.99?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tracfone-Pr...0AAOSwp1Bc5a~n
    I am familiar with that special, actually bought one for my current phone a while back. But aren't I going to have the same problem activating this SIM with the S5 that I'm having now with adding a pin?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If it's active I don't see why you can't add airtime. That truly weird.

But for number parking I just get a cheap/free refurbished phone from TF. Could use the SIM in the GS5 w/o VoLTE if wanted.

Feedback Score
    If it's active I don't see why you can't add airtime. That truly weird.
    Yeah, I don't really understand it. But when I go to add a card, I get a pop up message that the network is being upgraded, my phone is not compatible, and it can't be activated - which I am not even trying to do. Also not to fear, they will give me 40 bucks toward a new phone.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, I don't really understand it. But when I go to add a card, I get a pop up message that the network is being upgraded, my phone is not compatible, and it can't be activated - which I am not even trying to do. Also not to fear, they will give me 40 bucks toward a new phone.
    Sounds to me like TF thinks the phone number that you tried to add time to is not active and you're adding a time card to (re)activate it. Is it still working? Can you make calls to/from it? TF will deactivate a smartphone if there was no activity in 6 months.
    Last edited by hpham; 11-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast