Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BYOP Galaxy S5 shows up as not compatible

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    OK I'll try that. Thanks. Just one quick ?. The status bar shows 4G/LTE when I turn Data on. Can I have 4G/LTE & not necessarily HD Voice?
    Yes, if the phone isn't also HD/VoLTE capable or active.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Are you only choosing HD voice; NOT video calls ? If you're also selecting video calls that's the issue. When it asks if you want to turn Mobile data on, don't.
    Normally once advanced calling is on and all's working right, it won't turn off when you turn off data. I'm not familiar with Samsung's settings.
    Yes, only choosing HD Calling. When I get the window asking if I'd like to turn Mobile Data on, I have to say yes to activate HD Calling. At least it says it's ON. Again, I usually leave data off on my phone, so any calls I've gotten have not been HD.

Feedback Score
    Yes, not related.
    But as long as my Status bar shows 4G/LTE, will my phone still work or does it become a brick when 3G is shut down? I'm OK if I don't get HD calling if my phone still works otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that both the calling and receiving phones need HD voice for it to give you the HD clarity. And if you don't have VoLTE you won't have voice, only data, when 3G goes down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know about Advance Calling on your S5. I've tested and confirmed VoLTE calls with several forum members using my TF J3 Sky and Moto E5. I did not have to turn on Data.

HD Voice requires VoLTE. To see if your calls are going through VoLTE, do this test on your phone that uses TF/Verizon:
    1. Turn off WiFi. Turn on Data.
    2. Place a call to someone. If you don't want to bother someone, call my airport's automated weather line 785-234-1591.
    3. WHILE THE CALL IS IN PROGRESS, try to go to an online site using your phone's browser. If you can get there, your call is going through VoLTE. If you get an error message saying "Data is unavailable at this time" or something similar, your call is not going through VoLTE.
    Tried the test & called the # you gave. And I was able to go to ebay while the recorded message was still going.
    So it looks like I do have HD Calling? But that brings up the ? why I have to have Data turned on to activate it, when you & others say Data doesn't need to be on for HD Calling?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I once had a Verizon phone non-VoLTE and the voice quality was horrible. Too much compression or whatever. It cut in and out and sounded warbly. You can sometimes hear this when reporters call in to the station.

Anyway, if someone is saying that his phone sounds far better, I am inclined to believe that something is going on.
    Voice quality is fine, but definitely not HD like I get with the Rebel 4.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    So it looks like I do have HD Calling? But that brings up the ? why I have to have Data turned on to activate it, when you & others say Data doesn't need to be on for HD Calling?
    I have no ideas. If you want to do a test call with me, send me a Private Message (click on my username and select Private Message) with your phone number and I'll call you from my VoLTE phone between 1PM and 1:15PM Central Time today.

Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that both the calling and receiving phones need HD voice for it to give you the HD clarity. And if you don't have VoLTE you won't have voice, only data, when 3G goes down.
    Got it. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have no ideas. If you want to do a test call with me, send me a Private Message (click on my username and select Private Message) with your phone number and I'll call you from my VoLTE phone between 1PM and 1:15PM Central Time today.
    Will do. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Just sent my #. Try now if you want.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If I remember right, the Galaxy S5 is a VoLTE and SVLTE phone because I was looking up this a while back when people was saying that they had data and voice at the same time before VoLTE became a standard provisioning.

Feedback Score
    OK, just confirmed with a call with hpham that I do not have HD Calling. So now I know for sure.
    Thank you hpham & everyone else for your input....much appreciated.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    OK, just confirmed with a call with hpham that I do not have HD Calling. So now I know for sure.
    The screenshots below show the HD indicator if I'm on a call with someone who has VoLTE on TF/Verizon, and without the indicator when that person doesn't. During the call with you (not shown below), I did not see the HD indicator.

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-with-HD-Indicator.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  Moto-E5-Call-No-HD.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  20.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Thank you hpham & everyone else for your input....much appreciated.
    Maybe hpham mentioned it on your call. Depending how old your SIM is maybe you need a new one or re-provisioned for VoLTE. (?)

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    If I remember right, the Galaxy S5 is a VoLTE and SVLTE phone because I was looking up this a while back when people was saying that they had data and voice at the same time before VoLTE became a standard provisioning.
    Denny said his phone was able to access Ebay during a call when he did his own test. His phone might be using SVLTE: "Simultaneous Voice and LTE (Long Term Evolution) A protocol and technical standard that allows a phone to use both voice and data networks at the same time. Specifically, when the voice network is CDMA 1xRTT and the data network is LTE (4G.)". Because he said his screen showed 1x during the call with me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast