Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon phone Volte Question

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score

Verizon phone Volte Question

This is an odd situation - I use an LG G6 that I bought from Ebay about a year and a half ago (it was listed as Verizon unlocked and I should have checked the IMEI but it worked out of the box with my sim). I had moved a sim from an LG Premier into it. When I bought a year plan from Ebay (with the minutes, data, texts), I went to activate the new sim. They told me my G6 could not be used. Since I was in a chat, I just got my old G4 and used that IMEI to activate the sim and then put the sim in my G6. I have gotten an email saying my phone can't be used past 12/31 because, in their system, I am using the G4. Does anyone know if my sim will stop working even though it's in a phone that supports Volte or will it keep working? Should I just buy a cheap Tracphone and move that sim into my G6? I like the phone and would like to keep it.

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    This is an interesting situation because I don't know if TF goes by the IMEI of the phone on record (the G4) and disables the SIM when VoLTE is required, or goes by the phone that's actually in use and connects to the network (G6).

You can try running the G6's IMEI through the whitelist check and see if it passes. If it does, then activate a new BYOP TF/VZ SIM with it and transfer service from the current SIM to it.

Another option is to transfer service from the current SIM back to the SIM from the Premier, IF IT'S VoLTE CAPABLE. Then use that SIM in the G6 as you did before. Just to be clear, is the phone an LG Premier (older, likely not VoLTE capable) or an LG Premier Pro (current, VoLTE capable)?

Feedback Score
    I'd think if it wasn't TF (I'm biased FYI) it was just a friendly warning & since it's working in your G6 & the G6 is VoLTE capable it'd continue to work.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    I just got my old G4 and used that IMEI to activate the sim and then put the sim in my G6. I have gotten an email saying my phone can't be used past 12/31 because, in their system, I am using the G4.
    Maybe I'm not understanding that email you're referring to. 12/31/19? Because the G4 is VoLTE (right?) so wouldn't have to do with cdma shut down; if it wasn't VoLTE you wouldn't have been able to activate it anyway; and Tracfone Corp. has told me the deadline of cdma is 12/31/20 regardless.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Because the G4 is VoLTE (right?) so wouldn't have to do with cdma shut down; if it wasn't VoLTE you wouldn't have been able to activate it anyway;.
    I think the shut-off date for activation of 3G phones was pushed back to 12/31/2019. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/. The push back was announced around 8/1/19.

Feedback Score
    I've tried to activate my unharvested ZFive L since 8-1, no dice.
    Need to activate it to receive the year of service.
    Executive Resolutions claims they can't find any record of selling it to me so they can't give me the airtime they sold me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I think the shut-off date for activation of 3G phones was pushed back to 12/31/2019. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/. The push back was announced around 8/1/19.
    That's right thanks. I stand corrected on ability to "activate". But the OP said the email said can't be "used" past 12/31. Even though TF told me the "use" is 12/30/20 they did emphasize they want people to change asap. That's likely why they're still staying moot about the 2020. I can understand that since anyone still using a 3G/cdma after 2019 won't be able to replace it with another like device if they have an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Not just 3G phones are affected. 4G non-VoLTE capable phones as well. That is the tricky bit, as they can sometimes be hard to identify. The Tracfone models are pretty well known, but BYOP phones are another story.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know if my sim will stop working even though it's in a phone that supports Volte or will it keep working?
    VoLTE isn't enabled on your account.

When CDMA is shutdown (or you visit an area w/o CDMA coverage) you will only get data. No voice or text. But I don't think they will shut off accounts.

You need to verify VoLTE works with the G6 on Verizon MVNOs. Then figure out why the IMEI doesn't pass the check.

Have you tried Verizon's IMEI checker or just TF's?

If there's an IMEI issue, a know working device, like a TF branded phone may be the easiest route.
    Or maybe a donor phone, like a broken phone with a good IMEI.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 11-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I also do not believe the account will be shut off when Verizon goes to VoLTE only service, but that does not mean your phone will still call and text.
    Because your phone(s) has to be VoLTE capable and the SIM needs to be provisioned for VoLTE after the Verizon changeover.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Maybe I'm not understanding that email you're referring to. 12/31/19? Because the G4 is VoLTE (right?) so wouldn't have to do with cdma shut down; if it wasn't VoLTE you wouldn't have been able to activate it anyway; and Tracfone Corp. has told me the deadline of cdma is 12/31/20 regardless.
    12/31/19. I thought the cut off was at the end of 2019. The G4 is not VoLTE.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    VoLTE isn't enabled on your account.

When CDMA is shutdown (or you visit an area w/o CDMA coverage) you will only get data. No voice or text. But I don't think they will shut off accounts.

You need to verify VoLTE works with the G6 on Verizon MVNOs. Then figure out why the IMEI doesn't pass the check.

Have you tried Verizon's IMEI checker or just TF's?

If there's an IMEI issue, a know working device, like a TF branded phone may be the easiest route.
    Or maybe a donor phone, like a broken phone with a good IMEI.
    The LG G6 is on the list of phones that have VoLTE. It doesn't pass Verizon's IMEI checker. My daughter has a Moto G5 Plus that she is no longer using so I am going to use that IMEI if I have to or just use that phone.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I also do not believe the account will be shut off when Verizon goes to VoLTE only service, but that does not mean your phone will still call and text.
    Because your phone(s) has to be VoLTE capable and the SIM needs to be provisioned for VoLTE after the Verizon changeover.
    I have replaced that sim - it came with a non-VoLTE tracphone. I guess I will wait to see what happens and then, use my daughter's old Moto G5 Plus if I can't make calls or text.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    The LG G6 is on the list of phones that have VoLTE. It doesn't pass Verizon's IMEI checker. My daughter has a Moto G5 Plus that she is no longer using so I am going to use that IMEI if I have to or just use that phone.
    Whose list?

If it's a VS988, the Verizon version, I don't see why it's not passing the checkers.

If it's the US997, unlocked version, I don't think that was ever in Verizon's list. But VoLTE will, work with a swapped SIM.

If you gave access to that Moto G5 plus I'd go ahead and use it's IMEI. It should add VVM too, and the calls will sound better plus getting Voice and data simultaneously is often handy.

Oh and what G4? Moto or LG? I'm assume Moto as the LG should be listed a VoLTE (the LG G2 and G3 for Verizon are).

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Shut down of an old network isn't something that happens overnight with the snap of a finger.

When AT&T shut down 2G I had an old Sony flip phone (very nice phone for what it was) that I no longer used but could see the signal when I had it powered up. Months and months before AT&T's announced shutdown date that phone's signal went to nothing.

Areas can and will go dead prior to an announced shut down date and if there is a CDMA equipment failure in an area its likely that area would be turned into an LTE area ahead of schedule also.

Verizon is purposely being vague with their timing on this at this point maybe to accommodate Sprint. They were going to leave some very small portion of cdma operating for iot for a time even after the phone cdma network was shut down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast