Thread: eSIM and factory data reset

Feedback Score

eSIM and factory data reset

I followed the Reddit article on setting up eSIM on Freedom Mobile. This worked perfect but I'm curious on the potential downfall it can pose... I did a factory reset on my device and lo-and-behold, no more eSIM. I'm assuming I simply follow the same steps to add the eSIM once again with the only limitation being that it can only be done once per billing cycle?

That's fine since my billing cycle is tomorrow but it seems that should you accidentally remove the cellular plan or have to reset your device to factory settings, it's a more tedious process over that of a physical SIM.

Device(s)
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    If you’re adding it back onto the same phone, you don’t need to wait out your billing cycle - you should be able to re-add your existing eSIM via the QR code from the Freedom Mobile website. Just go to “Plans and Add-ons” then “Change SIM”, wait about 15-30 seconds, and you’ll see an option in the top right that says “My current eSIM information.” Click that and you’ll get your existing QR code to scan again.

You only need to wait out the billing cycle when generating a new eSIM.

Just FYI, on an iPhone you have the option when factory resetting to either keep the eSIM or delete it. The options when you hit “Erase all content and settings” are:
    Erase and remove eSim
    Erase and keep eSim
    Cancel

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingDark View Post
    If you’re adding it back onto the same phone, you don’t need to wait out your billing cycle - you should be able to re-add your existing eSIM via the QR code from the Freedom Mobile website. Just go to “Plans and Add-ons” then “Change SIM”, wait about 15-30 seconds, and you’ll see an option in the top right that says “My current eSIM information.” Click that and you’ll get your existing QR code to scan again.

You only need to wait out the billing cycle when generating a new eSIM.

Just FYI, on an iPhone you have the option when factory resetting to either keep the eSIM or delete it. The options when you hit “Erase all content and settings” are:
    Erase and remove eSim
    Erase and keep eSim
    Cancel
    That is correct! I see "My current eSIM information". I had to refresh the page a second time after I went into the "Change SIM" option. I see this now. Since I went from an iPhone 11 to an 11 Max Pro, I need to wait out my bill cycle.

As for my iPhone, I deleted the cellular plan prior hence why it did not prompt during the factory reset asking if I wanted to keep the eSIM.

Thanks for the answer!