Thread: White list call blocker for google voice app?

Feedback Score

White list call blocker for google voice app?

I set up google voice on my cellphone, so people who call my "home phone#" would reach me on my cellphone.

But I also get a lot of spam calls. Is there a whitelist call blocker that works on google voice app and the native phone app, so that only one call blocker works on both cellphone calls and google voice calls?

If not, a white list call blocker that works only on google voice is good enough. I will then install another call blocker for the cellphone calls.

Static blacklist call blockers are not very useful because spam callers use fake numbers that changes frequently.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    I have android pie on my phone and allow google to answer suspected spam calls on the cell phone number. 'Google call screening'. A google automated assistant answers suspected spam calls and tells callers to answer a couple of questions. I believe it hung up on the robocalls that were likely inbound. It has answered two calls.

I believe on most android phones you can have it block any caller that's not in your contact list - that would equate to a whitelist.

I may have had one spam call come through on my GV number in the last couple of years, then I blocked it as spam, they do a great job.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nobar View Post
    Is there a whitelist call blocker that works on google voice app and the native phone app, so that only one call blocker works on both cellphone calls and google voice calls?
    To my knowledge, there is no third-party call blocking app that works on incoming GV calls. They only work on the default phone app and since you can't make GV your default phone app........

The only way to whitelist GV that I'm aware of is to put your GV Contacts in groups (or use All Contacts group) and then route the groups to the desired endpoints (numbers or devices). This can only be done in the Legacy GV web interface. Then you would uncheck all forwarding numbers/devices on the Phones tab in the Legacy version so that all unknown callers would be routed to voicemail. (This only works if you have your GV app set to "Use carrier only." If using WiFi this procedure won't work)
    https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/red.../voice/#groups

Likewise on an iPhone, with the release of iOS 13 a new feature was added called "Silence Unknown Callers." Works great for calls to your cell number but doesn't work on any calls to your GV number.

tl;dr
    But one bonus if using an iPhone (at least for me) is that the latest GV app version now supports using Siri to make GV phone calls. This is especially helpful when making calls in the car. I don't think this capability is available yet with Google Assistant on an Android smartphone.