Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Airalo International Data Roaming For eSIM Devices

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Folks,

These airalo esims look interesting. I've got a Pixel 3a that I want to use as a test for these esims. One question that I have is: If I purchase an airalo esim, does it go active immediately? Or can you activate it at a later date? For example, if I purchase a German esim, can I activate it two weeks from now when I travel to Germany? Or does it go active WHEN the esim is purchased? Thanks!

Eric
    I recently went to Thailand and purchased (4) 8-day eSims for my family member's phones about a week before travel. Within a few days of arriving 3 of our 4 devices had expired. Airalo customer service gave me credit to make up for the premature expiration. However, I would suggest purchasing as close as possible before leaving on your trip.
    Check out my Reno Area Wireless Information & Cellular Guide website for cell site location maps, pictures & more https://RenoWirelessInfo.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    I added mine almost immediately after purchasing, but it appears that once an eSIM is active and added to a device, you can then reload it, rather than needing to provision another eSIM (mine is set to expire tonight, so I'll see what it's like in its dormant state).

If it were me traveling and not throwing a few bucks around to play, I'd probably buy and set up service as close to departure as possible (even just over hotel or airport Wi-Fi before leaving).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Thanks for the udpates on the airalo esim. I'll post how things go using an airalo esim in Berlin with my Pixel 3a.

Eric

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    I'll add that I had a 1GB pass expire and after buying another through the "Top Up" feature, it took about 45 minutes before it was active and usable (kept the same eSIM installed). I thought I'd share in case someone is running low on data or time and want to line up another pass and it doesn't work immediately (not sure what happens if you buy one just before the other expires/is used up).

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Another question: Do the esims roam while in the EU? I realize they sell esims by country, but does a German esim work throughout the EU? Or only in Germany?

I have a German sim card that I keep active. I can use it anywhere in the EU just like when I'm in Germany.

Eric

Feedback Score
    Folks, Another question: Do the esims roam while in the EU? I realize they sell esims by country, but does a German esim work throughout the EU? Or only in Germany? I have a German sim card that I keep active. I can use it anywhere in the EU just like when I'm in Germany. Eric
    found this - https://www.cultofmac.com/640434/kno...sim-europe-us/

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Another question: Do the esims roam while in the EU? I realize they sell esims by country, but does a German esim work throughout the EU? Or only in Germany?

I have a German sim card that I keep active. I can use it anywhere in the EU just like when I'm in Germany.

Eric
    There's also a European regional eSIM on Airalo (branded as Eurolink) and the prices aren't bad. As for EU roaming rules, I'd assume they'd apply, but technically many (all?) Airalo eSIMs don't originate in Europe (at least my tests with the US one...it's StarHub), so they may be country-specific for where they'd work.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Eric
    The Airalo esim providers are like MVNOs. They are from resellers who contact with individual operators in each country to provide service, so no, I assume the individual country esims probably don't roam; you'd need a regional or global esim for that.

For example, a 1GB UK esim on Airalo is $3, whereas a Eurolink (EU regional) one is $5.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just an update. I purchased an airalo esim for Germany last week. 10Gb for $18 good for 30 days. I'm in Germany now and cannot get the esim to activate and/or connect to the cellular network. I find it strange as the esim is through Ja!mobile, which it TMobile in Germany, but the information provided says truphone? When I scanned the Q code on my Pixel 3a, it show up as Telna? On top of that, I get four APNs that don't match the information from the esim? Things aren't matching up all the way around. I gave up and sent an email asking for a refund. We'll see what happens. Really disappointed.

Eric

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, Galaxy S9, iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS, T-Mobile, RedPocket Verizon, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just an update. I purchased an airalo esim for Germany last week. 10Gb for $18 good for 30 days. I'm in Germany now and cannot get the esim to activate and/or connect to the cellular network. I find it strange as the esim is through Ja!mobile, which it TMobile in Germany, but the information provided says truphone? When I scanned the Q code on my Pixel 3a, it show up as Telna? On top of that, I get four APNs that don't match the information from the esim? Things aren't matching up all the way around. I gave up and sent an email asking for a refund. We'll see what happens. Really disappointed.

Eric
    Well today it’s probably not working due to a widespread known issue...

But use the APNs that they told you to use.

It shows Telna as that’s the actual carrier it’s through. And you roam on the local network where ever your at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T XS Silver 256GB. T-Mobile / MetroPCS
    Android device : Galaxy S9 RedPocket Verizon

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 11
    Carrier(s)
    310-150
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Eric
    It looks like they had an outage this afternoon - I got a few emails about it from them, and my guess is possibly due to AWS problems. I think by 3PM EST, it should be back now. Without being there with you, I can't troubleshoot, but I'm slowly figuring out how their service works and can offer some insight:

Telna looks like an eSIM provider, so that might be what's generating these for Airalo: https://www.telna.com

Truphone is a roaming service that sometimes contracts out their service to other providers (it's shown up from time to time). The US version of their eSIM is done through StarHub instead, a Singapore provider that must have a decent roaming agreement with T-Mobile US. I'm guessing Truphone has a better one with T-Mobile in Germany.

You have to change the APN to what they give you or it won't work - I did it for both the main "data" one and the hotspot one and both worked after doing that. You can ignore the MMS field. The pre-popluated items won't work.

If they haven't canceled it yet, you may want to try again if you have a few minutes to see (also I'm just curious if it is just an APN issue).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max, Pixel 3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile & Sprint (via Google Fi), AT&T (via Red Pocket Mobile and Airalo)
    Feedback Score
    Folks,
    ...Really disappointed.
    Eric
    FYI they had a worldwide outage earlier today. If you’re still having issue, reach out via their support channels. They were very responsive for me when I used them in Dec/Jan.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Yes, looks like I posted before realizing they had a major outage (just my luck). I sent a message to support and received an email back late last night to try some things this morning. I deleted the esim thinking there was a problem when I scanned the QR code (I know, I shouldn't have). I sent a message this morning asking if they could reset the esim. It hasn't been activated as of this morning. I'll post more once I hear back from Airalo. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Quick update: I sent another email to Airalo support this morning with more details. The responded in about five mintues. Execllent! They cancelled the previous esim and sent me a voucher to purchase a new esim. I installed the new esim, created a new APN and have LTE data. All is good.

I guess it was just my luck that they were having network issues when I tried to use the esim yesterday. I also did not see any email from them on my phone as their emails went to my spam folder (I found them this morning).

Eric

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Folks,

Just to follow up: The airalo esim worked great (once I had it set up correctly) while in Germany. Even though the airalo website shows Ja!Mobile for the sim card, it was actually Telna (not familiar with them). Ja!Mobile is on the T-Mobile network but Telna was on the Vodafone network. I was using a Pixel 3a for the airalo sim card. I used the Pixel 3a as a hotspot, since it was cheaper than my Lidl connect sim card for data. I'll give them a try later this year when travelling to the Netherlands and Norway.

Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast