Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hotspot on $2 Daily Plan?

Feedback Score

Hotspot on $2 Daily Plan?

I just replaced my Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 with a Moto G7 Play. I tried to set up my new phone as a hotspot and got a message that says that my plan doesn't allow hotspot tethering. I get this message both for Wi-fi tethering and for Bluetooth tethering.

I used my old phone as a hotspot many times on the $2 daily plan. Why can't I do the same with my new phone? Did my old phone somehow get through when it shouldn't have? Or is there a way to hotspot tether on my new phone?

Feedback Score
    your old phone must've had the hotspot feature enabled from the factory. you can try rooting your new phone to enable hotspot or try apps like foxfi or PDAnet.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    As far as I can tell, to get data it costs an additional $1/day for 100mb. Is that sufficient for you?
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    As far as I can tell, to get data it costs an additional $1/day for 100mb. Is that sufficient for you?
    Yes, I use that frequently. But occasionally, when there's no Wi-Fi around, I use the phone as a hotspot to get Internet access for my Surface Pro 4.

I just decided to switch to the $35 monthly plan ($30/mon with autopay). It eliminates the need to purchase data when I need it and allow me hotspot use. Since I have $380 in my account, I won't need to pay for the service for about a year.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidZz View Post
    Yes, I use that frequently. But occasionally, when there's no Wi-Fi around, I use the phone as a hotspot to get Internet access for my Surface Pro 4.

I just decided to switch to the $35 monthly plan ($30/mon with autopay). It eliminates the need to purchase data when I need it and allow me hotspot use. Since I have $380 in my account, I won't need to pay for the service for about a year.
    I'm planning on doing something similar, but doesn't AT&T still require you to add a refill to keep your balance from expiring?
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I'm planning on doing something similar, but doesn't AT&T still require you to add a refill to keep your balance from expiring?
    That's the way the $2 daily plan works, but not the monthly plans. With the monthly plans, they only charge your credit card if you don't have enough account balance to make the monthly payment. That's how it was explained to me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    I don't recall whether the app or the web page tells you the expiration date. But I thought the same expiration limits applied to monthly plans.

Feedback Score
    Here's what my account looks like now:
    Name:  ATTPrepaid Home Page.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  48.5 KB
    When I click on "Balance & Details, I get this:
    Name:  ATTPrepaid Balance Page.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  32.7 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I expected. You will have to add money before January 19th.

$25 for 3 months, or $100 for a year. So about 15 months to run the plan down with the added funds.

If there is a good sale someplace like Target, etc, maybe for Black Friday, you can get the PINs for 10% less, so $90.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Looks like I expected. You will have to add money before January 19th.

$25 for 3 months, or $100 for a year. So about 15 months to run the plan down with the added funds.

If there is a good sale someplace like Target, etc, maybe for Black Friday, you can get the PINs for 10% less, so $90.
    Thanks for pointing that out!

I just called ATT and they extended the expiration date one year to 11/10/20. See revision below.
    Name:  ATTPrepaid Balance Page Revised Exp Date to 2020 11 10.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  26.3 KB

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    They are getting more friendly in the AT&T prepaid department. I was porting out a line and they transferred my balance to another line and left .28 on the account so I could port out. Several years ago that would not have happened.
    Need a Tello referral? Get $10 when you sign up. https://tello.com/account/register?_referral=P3RNHB4D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    They are getting more friendly in the AT&T prepaid department. I was porting out a line and they transferred my balance to another line and left .28 on the account so I could port out. Several years ago that would not have happened.
    I was surprised that she offered to extend the expiration date and then we got cut off. I was surprised again when she called me back a few minutes later to continue and finish the discussion!

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for pointing that out!

I just called ATT and they extended the expiration date one year to 11/10/20. See revision below.
    That's great! What were the magic words you used? I'd like to try it myself.

This is the Terms and Conditions, see 4):

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    That's great! What were the magic words you used? I'd like to try it myself.

This is the Terms and Conditions, see 4):

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html
    No magic words. I just called and told the CS rep that I'm a long time $2 daily plan customer that accumulated $380 in account balance and recently switched to the $35/$30 monthly plan. When I look and my account balance, it says it expires on 1/19/20. I don't think I even said anything after that. Maybe it was the tone of my voice, which sounded a bit distressed at the expiration date. She immediately said that she could extend the expiration date.

Apparently the CS reps have the authority to do that. Maybe I just got lucky.

Also, I can always switch back to the $2 daily plan, which I'm not inclined to do at this point. If I did switch back, I presume that my expiration date would be reset to 3 months.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No magic words. I just called and told the CS rep that I'm a long time $2 daily plan customer that accumulated $380 in account balance and recently switched to the $35/$30 monthly plan. When I look and my account balance, it says it expires on 1/19/20. I don't think I even said anything after that. Maybe it was the tone of my voice, which sounded a bit distressed at the expiration date. She immediately said that she could extend the expiration date.

Apparently the CS reps have the authority to do that. Maybe I just got lucky.

Also, I can always switch back to the $2 daily plan, which I'm not inclined to do at this point. If I did switch back, I presume that my expiration date would be reset to 3 months.
    Thanks. I took over my mom's old $1 a day plan a few months ago and so far I've just added a $25 refill to extend the balance 90 days. I plan to switch to a monthly plan later just to use the $200 account balance up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast