Thread: Can PayGo be used overseas (internationally)?

Feedback Score

Can PayGo be used overseas (internationally)?

I'm been looking for a cheap pre-paid US SIM that I can use internationally to receive texts (in specific). I don't need data, and only occasionally need voice. The $3/mo PayGo from T-mobile seems perfect, and the website for it seems to indicate it can be used abroad ("international roaming allowed"), but can anyone confirm?

Has anyone used the PayGo plan internationally to receive texts?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE & 5S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    The TMobile website seems to have a lot of conflicting information on this. I *think* the current answer is that TMobile prepaid services can only be used in the US, Canada, and Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if your wifi features (wifi calling, text, data) worked elsewhere, but that would be a roll of the dice. If you were going to travel i'd look into a local prepaid sim at your destination or just going with TMobile post-paid.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The PayGo is talk and text only, no data. You'd have to talk to Customer Service. It is still $3 mo, and I'm not sure you get any wi-fi whatsoever if you wanted to check email, etc. Most MVNO's don't offer international because their carriers usually don't allow it. If you need text only you may want to check Prepaidcompare.net 100 texts only is $4 + tax at US Mobile, a T-MO MVNO. That is as close to the $3 plan as you can get.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelingit View Post
    I'm been looking for a cheap pre-paid US SIM that I can use internationally to receive texts (in specific). I don't need data, and only occasionally need voice. The $3/mo PayGo from T-mobile seems perfect, and the website for it seems to indicate it can be used abroad ("international roaming allowed"), but can anyone confirm?

Has anyone used the PayGo plan internationally to receive texts?

I'm not sure what's changed, but I went to New Zealand a few years ago with T-Mobile prepaid and bought a local SIM while there. Before I did that however, I did turn my phone on out of airplane mode and it connected to the local network as well as WiFi calling worked.

Short answer: yes, T-Mobile prepaid works overseas, however the rates are extremely expensive. It's pay per minute, pay per text and I don't think data is included at any cost.

Feedback Score
    According to the Ultra mobile website: yes

(And FWIW, I have an old T-Mobile legacy prepaid and international roaming works fine although it would probably cost an arm and a leg. Wi-Fi calling works as well. But as I wrote that's a Legacy plan so it may not apply to newer plans)

Skickat från min Mi A2 via Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
    The PayGo is talk and text only, no data. You'd have to talk to Customer Service. It is still $3 mo, and I'm not sure you get any wi-fi whatsoever if you wanted to check email, etc. Most MVNO's don't offer international because their carriers usually don't allow it. If you need text only you may want to check Prepaidcompare.net 100 texts only is $4 + tax at US Mobile, a T-MO MVNO. That is as close to the $3 plan as you can get.
    I only need text, and very, very occasionally talk (very rarely). The US Mobile won't work unfortunately as they don't allow international roaming.

https://www.usmobile.com/help/knowle...ming-coverage/

"US Mobile does not offer international roaming coverage at this time. We run on the two largest and fastest nationwide networks in the US, so you can talk, text, browse and stream at remarkable speeds no matter where you are (in the US)"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by asawi View Post
    According to the Ultra mobile website: yes

(And FWIW, I have an old T-Mobile legacy prepaid and international roaming works fine although it would probably cost an arm and a leg. Wi-Fi calling works as well. But as I wrote that's a Legacy plan so it may not apply to newer plans)

Skickat från min Mi A2 via Tapatalk
    Yes, I saw that on the UltraMobile site, but it seems to be contradicted in many of the T-Mobile support forums. Also someone on one of the other threads sent a support message about this to UltraMobile and they said the $3/mo plan is not supported overseas. I'm going to try and contact them again myself.

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone SE, Zmax 2
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Tello, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    The old T-mobile Prepaid Pay-Go Legacy Gold Rewards has international roaming for voice and text, no data. I've personally used it in Japan, Taiwan and Canada. Not sure about the newer $3/month Ultra Mobile one. The rates are a bit outrageous...

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Mine has also sent me a text when I landed in Japan and Korea like above , and I am on Gold Rewards sim too.

I never needed to use it as I had a local phone.....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Prepaid may, or may not, work overseas. It's one of the most problematic of T-Mobile's features. Yes, their website lists prices (outrageous) for calls and texts but they often don't work where they are shown as being available. WiFi calling should work.
    Donald Newcomb