Thread: A Couple of Basic Questions about TracFone Plans

Feedback Score

A Couple of Basic Questions about TracFone Plans

I have a couple of questions that I am having trouble finding the answers to, and I know someone here can help.

First, I have a new second smartphone. To activate service on it, I bought a Smartphone Unlimited Plan for 30 days of service last month (I think it was $30), which gave me unlimited talk and text, and 3GB of data. My question is: if I were to buy a Basic Plan this month, like just the 60 minute/90 day card for example, would I *keep* the data that I have not used this month? The TF website makes it sound like I will lose the leftover data if I don't buy another Unlimited card. That doesn't seem right, but I was hoping someone would know for sure.

And second, I have a question about TMFL. I have a TMFL SIM in the new phone. So if I buy the Basic 60 minute/90 day Plan for $19.99, I get 180 minutes, 180 texts, and 180MB of data. BUT, I can't seem to figure out if the service days triple as well. I thought they did, bc on my main phone I have service until 2021, and I haven't bought minutes for it since around 2016. I just add a $10 data card every few months. But when I choose Buy Airtime for my other phone, it shows the minutes, texts, and data for that card as 180 instead of 60, but it still just shows 90 days of service, which is why I'm not sure. Any help anyone can give is appreciated! Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MLN2216 View Post
    I have a question about TMFL. I have a TMFL SIM in the new phone. So if I buy the Basic 60 minute/90 day Plan for $19.99, I get 180 minutes, 180 texts, and 180MB of data. BUT, I can't seem to figure out if the service days triple as well. I thought they did, bc on my main phone I have service until 2021, and I haven't bought minutes for it since around 2016.
    Service days were never tripled. If your phone has a lot more service days than you expected, it maybe due a glitch a few years ago which doubled the service days being transferred from one phone to another. After a few transfers, 2 years would become 4, then 8, then 16....

Feedback Score
    The Unlimited plan is accounted separately from the Basic Plan. So the data doesn't carry over in either direction as far as I can figure out.

It's hard to know what's going on sometimes because Tracfone gets a brilliant idea about something and then does not always explain the rules clearly. They obviously wanted to offer an Unlimited plan, and that is so different from their usual system that it's a little confusing at first.

Feedback Score
    I'd buy you a burger if the data carries over. From monthly plan to PayGo not happening.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys! That's funny hpham, I transferred my phone over from SafeLink at the time, and every time I bought data the first few times, I kept getting more service days. This would have been 2015. So yeah, I never really thought about *how* I got to 2021, I just assumed the service days were tripling. But that doesn't make sense, bc iirc, I only ever bought data for it. It's possible I bought minutes 3-4 times though. I guess I got lucky!

Thanks lisme. That's what it sounded like, but it's kind of messed up they take the data away. Almost makes it pointless to buy the unlimited plan, if you have to keep buying the unlimited plan to ever have minutes. You'd think if you switched away you would keep the data and maybe a small set number of minutes or something.

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MLN2216 View Post
    Almost makes it pointless to buy the unlimited plan, if you have to keep buying the unlimited plan to ever have minutes. You'd think if you switched away you would keep the data and maybe a small set number of minutes or something.
    Going on and off unlimited plans does not make much sense to me. If you need extra talk or text time for a short period, these are not expensive to buy separately. Makes sense to keep buying unlimited with Auto-refill if the use is always high. Traditional monthly plans usually empty and refill the bucket with no carry over.