Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Visible 'Party Pay' Plan - 4 Users w/Separate Bills $25/mo

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterfield View Post
    Did the Party thing through a link on Reddit and I already got an email from Visible that we are up and running and the monthly bill will not reflect a $15.00 credit for a “party” of four.
    That's weird? My upcoming payment status almost immediately showed the $15 discount.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    Better for the most part. Visible has basically Unlimited full speed data, which is better than TW being throttled at 25GB (30/60/100GB if on a family plan). Also the bills are separate, so as long as all people are paying the discount sticks. Even at $35-40 it is a pretty good deal.

Also Visible officially has hotspot, which isn't yet official with TW, and they also have WIFi Calling on most devices directly supported.
    Since Visible and TW have the same data priority status, you wouldn't see a difference in data speeds.

The only advantages TW has would be CDMA fallback, that's less of an advantage as time goes on, and the ability to have a data-less plan.
    100GB pool for a family of four is more useful that a fixed 25GB/person than your math would imply. In my 4 line TW account, two lines use very little cell data because they are in WiFi coverage most of the time (at home or at work/school). We barely scratch 25GB on 4 lines, so for us 100GB or "unlimited" is the same deal...

I don't use the hot-spot feature (even if it works on TW on my phone) because I don't need it. I don't use my phone instead of a dedicated house Internet line. When I travel, the hotels that I stay in have free WiFi. So again... not a plus.

VoLTE on TW now has HD+ voice (EVS) with compatible devices. Also TW enabled RCS Universal Profile, so now you can send/receive texts with everyone in the world. Or "chat" if their network also supports RSC Universal Profile.
    Also, we have Visual Voicemail on TW.
    Not sure where Visible stands on those issues.

If they would give something meaningful like roaming in the few rural areas (OK is one example) then maybe it would be a consideration. But then... the hassle of porting everyone over...
    Last edited by SoNic67; 11-06-2019 at 05:49 AM.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Couple of questions for existing Visible customers -

1 - Could you use Google Voice with this?

2 -One user has alluded to being deprioritized in congested areas - some feedback on how bad this gets with numbers would be helpful - I mean are people still getting a usable speed or is it just bad in relation to Verizon directly.

Thanks

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    (Used for noting who I'm replying to)
    Yes, having such a large pool of data in that case may be better if one considers that exact case (having four lines and two of those lines not using much data). Three lines getting only a 60GB pool before throttle is a steep drop but still reasonable, but 2 lines only getting 30GB pool makes the Visible plan more attractive.

I'll admit this is primarily aimed towards a demographic with three or fewer people in a family unit, or even no family unit given recent studies. Those people may not have internet at their workplace or residence, share it with others, and/or mobile more often a typical family unit. I still feel it is a better deal in many cases as long as one has the device(s) for it. BOYD support is getting better, and many people have gotten unofficial BOYD support through SIM swapping. At worst a user pays $40/month for a line, at best $25/month, and get the same perks regardless of price, unlike TW which on the single and double line pricing varies data features a lot. This is similar to, and I feel improves on, the old Sprint Framily promotion in that adding people on is super easy. There's already public forums that promote people sending out their group invite links. I liked the Framily idea when it came out (Sprint coverage though...), and I feel this should become standard at least on MVNOs.

As far as feature support, it seems like a Verizon A/B test, where TW gets some popular features and Visible gets others and Verizon gets to see what sticks. That sucks for end users IMHO.
    MVNOs seem to have only a few features common to each other but some carrier-dependent features vary wildly, which is disappointing. At this point I feel MVNOs should only really be competing by price and variations of a large list of common features, like voice/text/data buckets and addons for better data speeds. That is my opinion.

Roaming: I predict that will stay a Verizon-branded perk. Verizon has to keep some things "premium" to keep ARPU up, and that would be one of them. Besides didn't they get bit in the butt, financially, regarding users roaming on LTEiRA? Very few MVNOs are doing roaming on prepaid and have other ways to make sure their users don't abuse it (higher overall cost, overage fees, smaller cap limits, only voice and text, etc). I doubt a family plan, like you mention will get this perk on a non-Verizon-branded plan when looking at the short term future.

EVS: Not certain on that, but from I read on that topic you posted, there is inconsistency. Also from posts on that topic, it seems to be a slow rollout to anyone using Verizon. Visible might have tested it for Verizon before placing it on the other MVNOs. It will need confirmation. For many likely users of Visible's plans, EVS is less of a concern than for more power users like HF members.

RCS: That is something being introduced on the whole Verizon network, cause even people on postpaid and prepaid are getting it. Also, there's ways to enable it regardless of carrier. OTOH it is still flakey on many devices and setups. It also doesn't work on iOS (maybe on iOS 14 if Apple would actually do something about it). Good but not a dealbreaker and likely a non-issue at this point in time.

Visual voicemail is universally supported from my research.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post

2 -One user has alluded to being deprioritized in congested areas - some feedback on how bad this gets with numbers would be helpful - I mean are people still getting a usable speed or is it just bad in relation to Verizon directly.

Thanks
    1) Yes; I recently helped someone on a different forum make sure it was set up. It also supports conditional call forwarding if you want to use your GV number for voicemail drops instead of the standard Visual Voicemail number. Google Voice is basically supported on everything/carrier, with the exception of some 2-factor-authentication setups and tools that don't work with VoIP numbers.

2) if you have been on any Verizon MVNO plan, it is the same level of priority. From what people have mentioned, here and elsewhere, Verizon only allows postpaid customers the option to have higher data priority. There are publicly posted speedtests on reddit that show reasonable speeds on Visible compared with other Verizon MVNOs.

ADDENDUM to overall discussion on the comparison to Total Wireless's multiline plans: Someone on a different forum mentioned that if you try to add lines to an existing multiline Total Wireless plan, you lose all remaining service for the paid-for month. That would be a downside to TW, in case you need to add lines in the middle of an active billing cycle. Yes, people can wait but we all know those people who "can't wait," particularly children. LOL
    For Visible Party Pay, the billing dates for all members of the group remain as they were before the new line. All of the lines could be on different billing days, which is interesting.
    Last edited by Haas_Dave; 11-06-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: ADDENDUM

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Three, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, H2O, Boost, MetroPCS, Freedompop, Red Pocket, Ting, Teltik
    Feedback Score

Thanks
    I assume I"m the user you mean?

I'm unsure if I can submit links yet, but attached. Both phones are side by side and on the same band according to LTE Discovery on the Play Store. Both are testing to the same endpoint server.

Visible seems to be proxying or routing traffic very strangely. Note: I have NEVER had sub-100ms latency on Visible. Not once. The Visible phone is Visible's own device, purchased from them.

Non-capped Visible, nothing else running, fresh startup.

Name:  visible.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  25.8 KB

VZW Business postpaid plan. It is also hotspotting and streaming Spotify at high quality at the same time.

Name:  vzw.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  18.7 KB

Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Three, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, H2O, Boost, MetroPCS, Freedompop, Red Pocket, Ting, Teltik
    Feedback Score
    Latency (random endpoint, but same endpoint on both) - this is obviously unscientific, but it tells you the scale of difference.

Visible:
    Name:  visible1.png
Views: 412
Size:  70.8 KB

I can not traceroute out of Visible on device, all hops are just * * * dropped.

Verizon:
    Name:  vzw1.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  32.0 KB

Software: https://networktools.he.net/

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owo_whats_this View Post
    I assume I"m the user you mean?

I'm unsure if I can submit links yet, but attached. Both phones are side by side and on the same band according to LTE Discovery on the Play Store. Both are testing to the same endpoint server.

Visible seems to be proxying or routing traffic very strangely. Note: I have NEVER had sub-100ms latency on Visible. Not once. The Visible phone is Visible's own device, purchased from them.

Non-capped Visible, nothing else running, fresh startup.

Name:  visible.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  25.8 KB

VZW Business postpaid plan. It is also hotspotting and streaming Spotify at high quality at the same time.

Name:  vzw.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  18.7 KB
    Oh, yeah sorry I couldn't find the post. Ouch, that's brutal there speed and latency wise.

Given its VOIP does that affect the voice call quality because of the high ping time? Google Voice would be nothing but echos.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm unsure actually, I haven't called anyone from either phone since I got them as a number (Discord, yes, otherwise no). Do you know of a test number that will just say something back at you?

The latency is very strange to me, it feels like they are proxying my traffic through something to rate limit it (or for other management reasons). It's kind of like how Freedompop SIMs proxy your data service through something tripling latency, at least for me...

As a baseline/point of reference, at the Microsoft campus a few miles east, I do a consistent 15-40 Mbps on Visible and ~60 Mbps on Verizon. I don't know how much of a difference the phone spec makes in this case, but the Visible one is significantly less powerful. Not sure if that applies to the radio portion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owo_whats_this View Post
    I'm unsure actually, I haven't called anyone from either phone since I got them as a number (Discord, yes, otherwise no). Do you know of a test number that will just say something back at you?

The latency is very strange to me, it feels like they are proxying my traffic through something to rate limit it (or for other management reasons). It's kind of like how Freedompop SIMs proxy your data service through something tripling latency, at least for me...

As a baseline/point of reference, at the Microsoft campus a few miles east, I do a consistent 15-40 Mbps on Visible and ~60 Mbps on Verizon. I don't know how much of a difference the phone spec makes in this case, but the Visible one is significantly less powerful. Not sure if that applies to the radio portion.

I've read using a VPN makes the speeds more consistent. https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...able_with_vpn/
    I've also read they are adding two new servers to help with ping "Visible currently has two network access points - one in Colorado, one in New Jersey - this is because of the small number of subscribers relative to Verizon. We will be adding two new access points in Q1, which should reduce ping times pretty substantially since they are at other parts of the country - one in the west coast, one in the south."

Feedback Score
    This is Total Wireless inside my house, East Coast (Virginia), today.
    I did three tests, this was the worst latency, the others were 85 and 90 ms... Fine for GV.
    But the VoLTE has priority, so it would always sound better.

Name:  Screenshot_20191106-192624_Speedtest.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  36.8 KB

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I've read using a VPN makes the speeds more consistent. https://www.reddit.com/r/Visible/com...able_with_vpn/
    I've also read they are adding two new servers to help with ping "Visible currently has two network access points - one in Colorado, one in New Jersey - this is because of the small number of subscribers relative to Verizon. We will be adding two new access points in Q1, which should reduce ping times pretty substantially since they are at other parts of the country - one in the west coast, one in the south."

Thanks, this is useful. So all your data traffic is effectively being backhauled half the country away, and backhauled half the country back for a roundtrip. Explains my latency at least.

Device(s)
    Iphone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    Ahh, so this is really Verizon's wireless backbone back hauling to Visible. So as their customer base grows they can add for pops based on traffic.

Someone right now closer to New Jersey or Colorado area are likely seeing better results on these tests.

Device(s)
    Moto X4 & G7; Pixel 3a & 4xl; Nexus 5x; IPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    My bad, it DOES show the discount. Typo.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Someone right now closer to New Jersey or Colorado area are likely seeing better results on these tests.
    I live in NY and work in northern NJ. My speeds are routinely above 100/40 with pings ~40ms. Haven't noticed anything different from any of the VZW mvnos I've been with. Apparently being close to one of their data points makes a huge difference.

If you read the reddit page, service can be really bad for some people with heavy deprioritization and high pings. Got to believe that has to due with how far you're from one of the cloud servers and how good Verizon is in your area. It has been mostly flawless for me in the 2+ months I've been with them. Would recommend it for anyone in the NY/NJ/CT area.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast