Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile open up Wireless home Internet

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    5G is fine for bands that aren't being used for anything else. Like mmwave or CBRS or CBAND. Also Sprint's 2.5 GHz because they have so much of it and possibly band 46. But 4G spectrum should be left alone until the vast majority of devices have 5G capability then 4G can be shut down like 3G is being shut down today but that's over a decade away.
    The one at the five megabyte mark is T-Mobile and the other one is Sprint on Google Fi

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have not heard anything that leads me to think that T-Mo and the T-Mo/Sprint deal is a house of cards. It does appear to me that the business risk is higher than average. If the T-Mo/Sprint deal proceeds, they would take on 40-something $billion of Sprint debt, along with converting 50-something million unprofitable Sprint subscribers to profitable T-Mo subscribers, needing to spend billions to build out to a network competitive with Verizon and AT&T. All of that while meeting the federal and state requirements and promises of expanded coverage, jobs, pricing and supporting Dish as the new fourth carrier.

That strikes me as a tough row to hoe. I'm sure T-Mo has a plan to accomplish all of this, but the plan being a complete success is nowhere near certain.
    I will say this: the guy who can bring it all together and get the deal done, usually is not the same guy who can manage it afterward. Those are two separate people, with two separate skill sets.

The likely story is, once he's done this he has nothing substantial left to offer for the organization--and it's time to turn the business over to someone who can manage what he's brought about. Then he moves on and does it again with another company.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Yes but that high band spectrum is going to require massive densification efforts which would take decades to complete. and T-Mobile have the big four carriers is the third with the least amount of low band spectrum and cash. It would take years before T-Mobile offers 5G home internet here it's ridiculously slow. To be fair T-Mobile needs to densify significantly here. And even acquire that spectrum because for my county where I live alone they only have 55 megahertz and that's also through most of the state. So they are pathetically under capacity here.

You're not going to be able to offer home internet with the paltry amount of 600 MHz T-Mobile has. I live in a rural area which could benefit form having a wireless home internet option. However T-Mobile only sought fit to buy three 5X5 blocks even though 3 others went unsold( and could have been had for a mere $8 mil total for all 3 ). Now with that 15X15 MHz being shared with 4G devices and also 5G devices how is there going to be enough spectrum for home internet?

Also as I said T-Mobile will have Sprint's 2.5 GHz which will be fine even for rural areas. At&t offers fixed wireless in my area to people that can't get their wired service and they use WCS spectrum and that's 2.3 GHz. An antenna mounted outside should be able to get signals for miles

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    You're not going to be able to offer home internet with the paltry amount of 600 MHz T-Mobile has. I live in a rural area which could benefit form having a wireless home internet option. However T-Mobile only sought fit to buy three 5X5 blocks even though 3 others went unsold( and could have been had for a mere $8 mil total for all 3 ). Now with that 15X15 MHz being shared with 4G devices and also 5G devices how is there going to be enough spectrum for home internet?

Also as I said T-Mobile will have Sprint's 2.5 GHz which will be fine even for rural areas. At&t offers fixed wireless in my area to people that can't get their wired service and they use WCS spectrum and that's 2.3 GHz. An antenna mounted outside should be able to get signals for miles
    None of the carriers offer wireless internet my area. The only one that did was clear wire but that was years ago. So I don't see wireless internet being offered anytime soon.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile only has a 10 megahertz block for my area. 5 is being used for LTE in the other 5 will be used for 5G yeah okay I call bull crap.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile only has a 10 megahertz block for my area. 5 is being used for LTE in the other 5 will be used for 5G yeah okay I call bull crap.
    Actually it's going to be dynamically shared not split evenly. Most of the country T-Mobile has 20X20 but some areas like ours have less. A couple of places have 25X25( Colorado Springs being the most populous area )

They way you write I can't tell if you are agreeing with or not. It seems like you are, then you quote me and say bull crap. Not sure if that's meant for me to T-Mobile. Since I saying just 600 MHz alone is not going to be sufficient for home internet and provide no benefit for those with 5G phones. The one except is if there are fewer or no restrictions when using 5G. For example over 4G I think phone hotspot is at best 20 GB then 600 kbps. But if using the 5G network you can get 200 GB then 3 Mbps after well that WOULD be a benefit for people that use hotspot a lot. But I doubt I will work that way

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually it's going to be dynamically shared not split evenly. Most of the country T-Mobile has 20X20 but some areas like ours have less. A couple of places have 25X25( Colorado Springs being the most populous area )

They way you write I can't tell if you are agreeing with or not. It seems like you are, then you quote me and say bull crap. Not sure if that's meant for me to T-Mobile. Since I saying just 600 MHz alone is not going to be sufficient for home internet and provide no benefit for those with 5G phones. The one except is if there are fewer or no restrictions when using 5G. For example over 4G I think phone hotspot is at best 20 GB then 600 kbps. But if using the 5G network you can get 200 GB then 3 Mbps after well that WOULD be a benefit for people that use hotspot a lot. But I doubt I will work that way
    The way I talk it seems like I'm neutral but I'm calling bull crap with T-Mobile not you. I agree with you that T-Mobile a lot of the spectrum holdings are poultry. Even here 55 megahertz a spectrum being put to use during rush hour oh it's ridiculous.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    The more I think about it the more I’m surprised John would even think about leaving any time soon. I know his job probably feels done but I’m still surprised now that I really think about it

I think he could really disrupt things for a while after the sprint deal
    Except John used to be a shirt-haired corporate-suited wonk in the AT&T organization, and his entire tenure at T-Mo seems to be focused on growing T-Mo to AT&T's level to thumb his nose at his former masters.

With the merger, he'll have grown T-Mo to AT&T's level, have the last laugh and be ready to move on...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Except John used to be a shirt-haired corporate-suited wonk in the AT&T organization, and his entire tenure at T-Mo seems to be focused on growing T-Mo to AT&T's level to thumb his nose at his former masters.

With the merger, he'll have grown T-Mo to AT&T's level, have the last laugh and be ready to move on...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Well also coverage is very important. You would have to grow coverage as well. Not just customers but coverage.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The people that don’t like T-Mobile are sure getting worked up since they see this Sprint merger going through. Now they are hopefully John Legere will leave since he is so effective at taking customers from AT$T and Verizon. They are even pretending that T-Mobile will only have Nationwide 5G NR on 600 MHz which they hope will not be able to improve speeds. They forget with the Sprint merger of all the 2.5 GHz spectrum that T-Mobile will get can add lots of unused 2.5 GHz quickly to 5G towers. Also, a 5G NR phone will be able to utilize both 4G LTE and 5G spectrum at the same time. Face it with the extra Sprint spectrum and extra paying customers, the New T-Mobile will be better able to complete against AT&T and Verizon better than ever before. Plus the New T-Mobile with Nationwide 5G will be able to poach customers much faster than ever before to make AT&T and Verizon hemorrhage customers. Just the Wireless ISP customers will get bundles that will just add new revenue and customers to the New T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The people that don’t like T-Mobile are sure getting worked up since they see this Sprint merger going through. Now they are hopefully John Legere will leave since he is so effective at taking customers from AT$T and Verizon. They are even pretending that T-Mobile will only have Nationwide 5G NR on 600 MHz which they hope will not be able to improve speeds. They forget with the Sprint merger of all the 2.5 GHz spectrum that T-Mobile will get can add lots of unused 2.5 GHz quickly to 5G towers. Also, a 5G NR phone will be able to utilize both 4G LTE and 5G spectrum at the same time. Face it with the extra Sprint spectrum and extra paying customers, the New T-Mobile will be better able to complete against AT&T and Verizon better than ever before. Plus the New T-Mobile with Nationwide 5G will be able to poach customers much faster than ever before to make AT&T and Verizon hemorrhage customers. Just the Wireless ISP customers will get bundles that will just add new revenue and customers to the New T-Mobile.
    Apparently in my area a new tower is being erected so I guess that's indicative of the 5G launch.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Apparently in my area a new tower is being erected so I guess that's indicative of the 5G launch.

Surprise at building more towers unless you are in a weaker than normal Sprint and/or T-Mobile area. If the merger goes through the New T-Mobile will have 110,000 towers that the last plan was to reduce down to 85,000 towers plus adding a ton of small cells. Remember that T-Mobile owns a lot of mmWave after the last two FCC Auctions.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Surprise at building more towers unless you are in a weaker than normal Sprint and/or T-Mobile area. If the merger goes through the New T-Mobile will have 110,000 towers that the last plan was to reduce down to 85,000 towers plus adding a ton of small cells. Remember that T-Mobile owns a lot of mmWave after the last two FCC Auctions.
    And most parts of town T-Mobile is good. Sprints service and lots of parts of my town is absolutely horrible it's so weak in some cases it's fades to Verizon CDMA roaming. Now I live near a couple of cell sites The biggest one is not far from me only 8 mi. But the thing is they're density is still going to need a lot of improvement that they're going to support home internet services.

Feedback Score
    Because a lot of those towers are redundant because they are Sprint towers. You don't need a T-Mobile tower and Sprint tower in the same area. You can move the necessary antennas to the T-Mobile tower then lease the Sprint tower and the other antennas to Dish

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Because a lot of those towers are redundant because they are Sprint towers. You don't need a T-Mobile tower and Sprint tower in the same area. You can move the necessary antennas to the T-Mobile tower then lease the Sprint tower and the other antennas to Dish
    Well fun fact The tower near me has every single cellular carrier on there. So for me there might be some redundancy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast