Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile open up Wireless home Internet

Feedback Score
    Do you need to be a tmobile customer to get an invite? When i use my att cell number it just says you are on the waiting list but i have a fairly close neighbor that is already a customer that go it.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by delray View Post
    Do you need to be a tmobile customer to get an invite? When i use my att cell number it just says you are on the waiting list but i have a fairly close neighbor that is already a customer that go it.
    you have to be a T-Mobile customer.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Then fire T- Mobile and get what works for you. T-Mobile is going to be the First Nation Wide 5G NR network in the nation.
    You sound like a press release!

T-Mo may someday also be the first 6G provider to wirelessly beam data directly to your Psychotelekinectic Ray Helmet, too, but the current T-Mo home internet product bring discussed here is plain ol' LTE with (if what I read is correct) a 50Mbps throttle to help prevent congestion.

Certainly an interesting product with a lot of potential use cases, but hardly competitive with most wired ISPs in the urban/suburban core that T-Mo generally provides service.

This could definitely strike fear in the heart of many suburban WISPs, though, as it's very competitive on price and speed.

The real enemy of any "cable killer" product be it this, or satellite TV, is bundling, even in this day and age of cord cutters. T-Mo has a small leg up there too, as a phone provider, since they provide two of the Holy TV/Internet/Telephone Trinity (or all three in a very few select markets!)

Adding the T-Mo TV service as an option to this could be a very interesting market disruption...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    but the current T-Mo home internet product bring discussed here is plain ol' LTE with (if what I read is correct) a 50Mbps throttle to help prevent congestion.
    Actually from what I gather it's not throttled to 50mbps, they're simply offering it only in areas where site load is low enough that they expect users to be able to get at least 50mbps. A good idea IMHO, why not admit the load on your network varies by area, and provide additional services where the load is relatively low?

Adding the T-Mo TV service as an option to this could be a very interesting market disruption...
    Never heard of this service. Indeed it'd be a good idea. With a modern video codec like H.265, running a typical HD show at 2mbps and SD at 1mbps or less without it looking janky is entirely feasible (... depending on the show. Using variable bit rate, snow, sand, water, action scenes, will drive up the bit rate.) So having the home customers watch streaming TV would not cause some undue load on the cell site.

Feedback Score
    I used Tmobile chat. It's not quick and easy to get into it, had to log into my acct, give my address/ personal info and finally got Dylan.

Hello! Thank you so much for chatting into T-Mobile Home Internet. My name is Dylan.
    The price is $50 a month if you are on auto pay, $55 if not!

Me: Any fees or taxes, such as rental on the modem, etc?

Dylan: Normal state taxes depending on what T-Mobile plan you are on, but no equipment fees or anything like that. We loan you out the router we just expect to receive it back if you ever cancel the line.
    We are expecting the speeds to be up to 50 MBPS. YMMV
    Our current gateway has two ports <- Might be a nuisance?

Me: I get Tmobile 4G at this location, but it's usually around 2 bars. Hopefully your 5G would be stronger.

Dylan: 5G should be much stronger. We will reach out to you by phone, email or direct mail as soon as we can service your location! Thank you

Me: The best thing about this I could take the interface box with me on trips.
    Eventually I hope that is possible! Right now its only approved at your home address but with the 5G future, a lot could be possible.

This is about what I'm paying for ATT Uverse at 1.5 meg speed.
    If I could get away with taking it along, I could see plugging the interface in the cigarette lighter, unlimited data while traveling. (no good to me at home if I'm gone)

Looks like no equipment rental fee, and the tax people haven't found it yet.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Just a FYI: T-Mobile is not offering 150 Mbps speeds everywhere for this service.

Where my sister lives (semi rural Mojave Desert, CA) they are only offering speeds up to 50 Mbps DL.

It's still better than the local DSL and cable offerings in theory although she can't get anywhere near those speeds via LTE on her smartphone as of yet.

Maybe when they turn up NR and upgrade backhaul in her area they'll be able to offer greater capacity?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Common Networks bets 5G wireless technology will replace cable internet in your home. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/12/comm...your-home.html

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Look at what came in the mail yesterday.
    Tricon23

Carrier(s)
    Metro / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Finally, a good wireless broadband solution. With a very fair price!

In my opinion the only company to successfully offer wireless broadband at an affordable price was Clear (Clearwire) via the old WiMax technology. They used to offer 4G speeds with unlimited data for $35-$40 a month, and no contracts. After Clear went out of business several years ago, there was never really a decent alternative. Until Now!

Nice going T-Mobile.

Sent from my F1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dfriz View Post
    I used Tmobile chat. It's not quick and easy to get into it, had to log into my acct, give my address/ personal info and finally got Dylan.

Hello! Thank you so much for chatting into T-Mobile Home Internet. My name is Dylan.
    The price is $50 a month if you are on auto pay, $55 if not!

Me: Any fees or taxes, such as rental on the modem, etc?

Dylan: Normal state taxes depending on what T-Mobile plan you are on, but no equipment fees or anything like that. We loan you out the router we just expect to receive it back if you ever cancel the line.
    We are expecting the speeds to be up to 50 MBPS. YMMV
    Our current gateway has two ports <- Might be a nuisance?

Me: I get Tmobile 4G at this location, but it's usually around 2 bars. Hopefully your 5G would be stronger.

Dylan: 5G should be much stronger. We will reach out to you by phone, email or direct mail as soon as we can service your location! Thank you

Me: The best thing about this I could take the interface box with me on trips.
    Eventually I hope that is possible! Right now its only approved at your home address but with the 5G future, a lot could be possible.

This is about what I'm paying for ATT Uverse at 1.5 meg speed.
    If I could get away with taking it along, I could see plugging the interface in the cigarette lighter, unlimited data while traveling. (no good to me at home if I'm gone)

Looks like no equipment rental fee, and the tax people haven't found it yet.
    I was under the impression that it’s not a mobile option. The Mobile Internet Resource center has a video on it.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post

In my opinion the only company to successfully offer wireless broadband at an affordable price was Clear (Clearwire) via the old WiMax technology. They used to offer 4G speeds with unlimited data for $35-$40 a month, and no contracts. After Clear went out of business several years ago, there was never really a decent alternative. Until Now!

Nice going T-Mobile.

Well T-Mobile's network has to be able to handle it. And it's clear many areas it can't. So they have to beef up the network considerably before letting that happen. And in my area it's nowhere near dense enough I doubt it will ever be beefed up enough to handle home internet.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellphone-guy View Post

Nice going T-Mobile.

Will take some time to really get it going but I feel it will end up being a great product. When available I’ll definitely sign up for it

After the directv now price increase, directv going down the tubes after att buying it, and fios just being expensive with internet issues, and Cox just being awful, I cut the cord and will gladly sign up for T-Mobile

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Will take some time to really get it going but I feel it will end up being a great product. When available I’ll definitely sign up for it

After the directv now price increase, directv going down the tubes after att buying it, and fios just being expensive with internet issues, and Cox just being awful, I cut the cord and will gladly sign up for T-Mobile
    Well remember though the network has to be able to handle it. That's why it's being rolled out in minimum numbers.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Well remember though the network has to be able to handle it. That's why it's being rolled out in minimum numbers.

Definitely. If it got rolled out nationwide with tons of signups it wouldn’t be pretty. Over time I think it will be solid

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Definitely. If it got rolled out nationwide with tons of signups it wouldn’t be pretty. Over time I think it will be solid
    The network where I live can't even handle a minimum of 50 megabits a second during rush hour. So they have a long long way to go here before it's rolled out.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast