Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CWA Donated Thousands to State AGs to dismantle merger

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    One thing to note is the CWA supported the AT&T/T-Mobile merger, likely because it gave them roaming revenue. With this merger, AT&T will not be gaining anything except higher prices down the road, which isnt an immediate gain, so theyre against it.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    One thing to note is the CWA supported the AT&T/T-Mobile merger, likely because it gave them roaming revenue. With this merger, AT&T will not be gaining anything except higher prices down the road, which isn’t an immediate gain, so they’re against it....
    This doesn't make sense in relation to CWA (Communications Workers of America) but it might IRT CCA (Competitive Carriers Association). The CWA doesn't like the merger because T-Mobile is a non-union shop.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ....It makes no business sense for Sprint to continue operating at a loss....

Tell me where I am wrong about Softbank bailing out Sprint.
    You're not going to believe me but that's ok. And pro merger folks won't believe me.

Sprint will continue to bail out Sprint because otherwise to let Sprint bk would cause Masayoshi Son great shame. He would lose face.

Losing face is not a western principle. But it still rules in Japan over dollars & cents.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    What is your basis for the claim that "Thousands Of Jobs Will Be Lost?".
    The claim of "Thousands Of Jobs Will Be Lost" is generally backed up by Every Merger Ever.

T-Mo and Sprint will have a large number of redundant overlapping positions, e.g. techs, retail store personnel, management, customer support (well, maybe not support, since Sprint has none currently!) Down the road, the excess employees have to go, unless T-Mo intends to run itself as a charity...

Mergers always tout "economies of scale" as advantages. That scale means large companies need fewer employees per customer/client than small ones.

Legere is weaseling around the jobs issue by claiming (correctly) that network and systems integration, and 5G deployment will require more employees (I'm sure it will) than the combined company will have at start. The problem is that will be temporary, and those employees can be cut when the integration and network buildout is complete, and the resulting leaner, more streamlined New T-Mo will need fewer employees than the prior Old T-Mo and Sprint combined had.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Piggybacking off of that, the Metro merger was much different than this. They expanded the metro brand nationwide whereas before they about 30% of the size of T-Mobile. Of course there was room for job increase T-Mobile brought a brand formerly serving only 9M customers into a company serving 32, then 41M. Sprint and T-Mobile have national retail presence, are large companies, and cover the same people. T-Mobile will not be pushing Sprint forward to the same extent. What T-Mobile did with Metro was completely absorb it and rebuild it. What theyll be doing is taking on an entire similar corporation and trying to integrate two existing companies. The only similarities that I find fair are the amounts of subscribers in areas like Los Angeles and Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    You're not going to believe me but that's ok. And pro merger folks won't believe me.

Sprint will continue to bail out Sprint because otherwise to let Sprint bk would cause Masayoshi Son great shame. He would lose face.

Losing face is not a western principle. But it still rules in Japan over dollars & cents.
    Cultural implications have no value when your investor portfolio is from all over the world. Weak argument.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    The claim of "Thousands Of Jobs Will Be Lost" is generally backed up by Every Merger Ever.....
    T-Mobile has been somewhat of a niche player until now, with relatively few retail stores and a fairly slim business sales department. A while back I counted the T-Mobile corp stores in Mississippi. As I recall there were something like 6 of them. Contrast this with CSpire and Verizon who had at least one store in every county. They could be planning on expanding their marketing as their rural footprint expands and they are better able to compete with the big two. I think they see the new T-Mobile as being greater than the sum if its parts and having more customers than the two merger partners combined.

Now, since cellular is pretty saturated, this would mean that AT&T and Verizon would get smaller slices of the pie and might not employ as many people but that's their problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    Cultural implications have no value when your investor portfolio is from all over the world. Weak argument.
    Not if Masayoshi Son is unmovable which he is. And his control over SoftBank is virtually absolute.

Feedback Score
    Not if Masayoshi Son is unmovable which he is. And his control over SoftBank is virtually absolute.
    Irrelevant as his investors are from all over the world and he is in the business to generate wealth, not fluff egoism. Not an argument.

Feedback Score

Is the reason there is nothing to argue. Absolute control is not swayed.

Feedback Score

Is the reason there is nothing to argue. Absolute control is not swayed.
    I don't think you grasp the concept of softbank being a global company and comparing it as if Son only deals within Japan.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    T-Mobile has been somewhat of a niche player until now, with relatively few retail stores and a fairly slim business sales department. A while back I counted the T-Mobile corp stores in Mississippi. As I recall there were something like 6 of them. Contrast this with CSpire and Verizon who had at least one store in every county. They could be planning on expanding their marketing as their rural footprint expands and they are better able to compete with the big two. I think they see the new T-Mobile as being greater than the sum if its parts and having more customers than the two merger partners combined.

Now, since cellular is pretty saturated, this would mean that AT&T and Verizon would get smaller slices of the pie and might not employ as many people but that's their problem.
    Interesting take. It could definitely go that way if all the stars align.

Me, I'm a cynic and a pessimist. Personally, I think T-Mo will let a lot of the as yet unused rural spectrum they get from Sprint remain unused for as long as they can manage. Building out a rural network is a lot harder and more expensive than integrating and upgrading overlapping urban networks, and the rural coverage is hardly cost effective (else Sprint would've done it by now.)

Sure, T-Mo will cherry pick the most profitable rural areas and light up some 5G fixed broadband there to look good in advertisements and comply with whatever Devil's deals they made with the state AGs (Mississippi, Colorado, etc.) but I suspect at the end of the day the merger is an urban spectrum and market share grab. Legere seems to have an almost maniacal need to "beat" his former masters at AT&T, and this is probably the quickest way to position T-Mo to do it. Expanding the Magenta map to the current white areas would be nice, but probably isn't a priority.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6098...#sp=show-clips

I would not be surprised if ATT/Verizon used the CWA as a proxy in an attempt to stop T-Mobile from combining with Sprint.

Just my opinion.
    More anti-union propaganda crap. It's Faux news, Enquirer style news, really poor "news" source.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by L33 View Post
    I don't think you grasp the concept of softbank being a global company and comparing it as if Son only deals within Japan.
    I'm not sure that you understand that Masayoshi Son control over SoftBank is virtually absolute. You might say it isn't. But name an instance where SoftBank went against Masayoshi Son wishes.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    While the us gov fights and the states go against the merger, China is about to beat the us in 5g. America makes no sense at times. Wake up people. 5g is way more than just cell networks and will be a decent part of the economy

The us is its own worst enemy at times. Makes no sense

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast