Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: T-Mobile is introducing Magenta First Responder

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Posts
    29,638
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Only Sprint is worse than AT&T in Miami, FTL and Palm Beach. Rootmetrics has made T-Mobile #1 with the best score.

    That's Sprint out west. They don't even cover many areas of the west, Mendocino County included, instead relying on roaming on USCC and VZ, T-Mobile puts them to shame out here by a wide margin! We have good coverage from AT&T, Verizon, USCC and TMO, but Sprint, they seem to like roaming 100% of the time. Even where Sprint does cover in the west, it's pathetic, it looks like they threw spaghetti on a wall, then decided to cover the west on how it looks

  2. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,891
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Only Sprint is worse than AT&T in Miami, FTL and Palm Beach. Rootmetrics has made T-Mobile #1 with the best score. Another reason I fired AT&T years ago for their pathetic overpriced service and arrogant customers service.
    https://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/ro...ami-fl/2019/2H
    Damn, a whole 1% difference between AT&T and T-Mobile? And a what, 12% different between Sprint and AT&T? Do you lack understanding of how large the differences between those numbers are?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

    Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)


    Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Greater Hartford, CT
    Posts
    12,416
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Damn, a whole 1% difference between AT&T and T-Mobile? And a what, 12% different between Sprint and AT&T? Do you lack understanding of how large the differences between those numbers are?


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Careful now!!!! You could be labeled a T-Mobile hater for this post.
    Hartford, CT Area

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,546
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Dude, have you seen how close att is to Verizon and T-Mobile with the score? Its not far off and definitely not enough to brag about while bashing att.

    We get it you hate att and love T-Mobile. That is fine but when you use root make sure to look at the facts instead of just opinion
    Dude AT&T is pathetic. Funny all the AT&T fans just can’t handle the truth that AT&T sucks and have to come on a T-Mobile board to whine. T-Mobile is just taking customers year after year from AT&T. It’s just going to get worse because AT& T is overpriced and overrated. AT&T customers service sucks and are extremely arrogant. Why would I even pay more for AT&T that won’t even work in my neighborhood with their nasty arrogant customers service. AT&T is overrated and overpriced. I know I had AT&T for years and fired them because their service sucks. Anyone that wants to keep getting ripped off by AT&T deserves to be ripped off by their overpriced network at least in Miami to Palm Beach country which is the most populated area in the 3rd most populated state in the nation.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 11-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,923
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Dude AT&T is pathetic. Funny all the AT&T fans just can’t handle the truth that AT&T sucks and have to come on a T-Mobile board to whine. T-Mobile is just taking customers year after year from AT&T. It’s just going to get worse because AT& T is overpriced and overrated. AT&T customers service sucks and are extremely arrogant. Why would I even pay more for AT&T that won’t even work in my neighborhood with their nasty arrogant customers service. AT&T is overrated and overpriced. I know I had AT&T for years and fired them because their service sucks. Anyone that wants to keep getting ripped off by AT&T deserves to be ripped off by their overpriced network at least in Miami to Palm Beach country which is the most populated area in the 3rd most populated state in the nation.
    I’d be a little Leary about having att postpaid now(temporarily). They seem to keep upping the price on plans while upping some of the data. A friend got double data but he didn’t even use the data he had and is now paying $10 more. With the debt att has I expect the increases to keep coming for a while
    Last edited by themanhimself; 11-05-2019 at 07:30 PM.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    527
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Dude AT&T is pathetic.
    Agreed. My employer has issued me an AT&T iPhone 10R. The county wireless contract is with AT&T. Side by side in more places around metro Atlanta, my personal T-Mobile phone consistently has a much stronger signal, voice calls are always solid. Even at work, despite AT&T having installed some slipshod BDA, my personal phone works better with higher data speed by far.

    After getting shafted porting out of T-Mo in early 2019, after 6 months of billing games with FirstNet, poor service, and no real bargain when the dust finally settled, when T-Mobile rolled out Magenta First Responder, I bounced right back. They welcomed me back and ported my primary line in 15 minutes. Added my iPad for another $20. So I'm paying $75 with fees and taxes. Guess what the best part is: no billing games. 1st month bill was correct. 2nd month bill just posted. Correct.

    Magenta First Responder is nothing more than a discount. It is not intended for life safety use. Guess what, we rely on purposed built systems and devices like our county's simulcast 800MHz Motorola Solutions Astro 25 public safety radio network. All sites have Onan Power gensets, a hardened, secure, private IP microwave backhaul with ring protection via dedicated fiber, and our redundant dispatch centers. We aren't sharing resources with a bunch of kiddies posting to the Internet.

    Professionals who work in this business know the value in LMR. I think it will be years before First Net or any LTE based system can even be in the same league. Devices also need to be appropriate. No one who jockey's a hose into a burning building is going to be fumbling with some touch screen iPhone. No one on a traffic stop getting shot at has time to rely on a touch screen or some network loaded down with John Q. Public swiping right on Tinder. The cost of hardening cell sites to the level of what we have with our purpose built public safety communications system isn't practical for the providers to invest in. My money says AT&T is realizing that right about now that the ink on that FirstNet contract is dry. There is a reason no other major provider bid on that contract

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,006
    Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by trees12 View Post
    https://www.t-mobile.com/news/magenta-first-responder


    What’s the news:
    T-Mobile is launching Magenta First Responder, the best discount in wireless for first responders and their families, with 50% off family lines. It’s the same great industry-moving discount that T-Mobile gave to military, veterans and their families last year


    Who it’s for:
    The millions of state and local police, fire and EMS personnel, their families ... and everyone who counts on them to be connected.
    I would not use T Mobile USA or Sprint for emergency responders due to the towers being dependent on the power company with no backups in place on most of their wireless towers. Verizon and AT&T have backups on most if not all their cell-sites and are proactive in restoring cell sites if they go down.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,006
    Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    I think tmobiles backup capabilities will continue to get better over time
    I am sure they will improve their power backup capabilities at their cellular towers in the future but they should not be advertising to emergency responders when they have no battery backups in place on most of their cellular sites.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1,132
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techguru30 View Post
    I would not use T Mobile USA or Sprint for emergency responders due to the towers being dependent on the power company with no backups in place on most of their wireless towers. Verizon and AT&T have backups on most if not all their cell-sites and are proactive in restoring cell sites if they go down.
    Actually Sprint does tend to stay up when T-Mobile goes down. I wonder what Sprint’s backup power policy is? I think it is better than T-Mobile’s.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    2,527
    Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000 View Post
    Agreed. My employer has issued me an AT&T iPhone 10R. The county wireless contract is with AT&T. Side by side in more places around metro Atlanta, my personal T-Mobile phone consistently has a much stronger signal, voice calls are always solid. Even at work, despite AT&T having installed some slipshod BDA, my personal phone works better with higher data speed by far.

    After getting shafted porting out of T-Mo in early 2019, after 6 months of billing games with FirstNet, poor service, and no real bargain when the dust finally settled, when T-Mobile rolled out Magenta First Responder, I bounced right back. They welcomed me back and ported my primary line in 15 minutes. Added my iPad for another $20. So I'm paying $75 with fees and taxes. Guess what the best part is: no billing games. 1st month bill was correct. 2nd month bill just posted. Correct.

    Magenta First Responder is nothing more than a discount. It is not intended for life safety use. Guess what, we rely on purposed built systems and devices like our county's simulcast 800MHz Motorola Solutions Astro 25 public safety radio network. All sites have Onan Power gensets, a hardened, secure, private IP microwave backhaul with ring protection via dedicated fiber, and our redundant dispatch centers. We aren't sharing resources with a bunch of kiddies posting to the Internet.

    Professionals who work in this business know the value in LMR. I think it will be years before First Net or any LTE based system can even be in the same league. Devices also need to be appropriate. No one who jockey's a hose into a burning building is going to be fumbling with some touch screen iPhone. No one on a traffic stop getting shot at has time to rely on a touch screen or some network loaded down with John Q. Public swiping right on Tinder. The cost of hardening cell sites to the level of what we have with our purpose built public safety communications system isn't practical for the providers to invest in. My money says AT&T is realizing that right about now that the ink on that FirstNet contract is dry. There is a reason no other major provider bid on that contract
    We have a privately run LTE network in the South that meets those requirements called Southern LINC. It's run by Alabama Power's parent company Southern Company.

    All cell sites have 7 full days of backup power.

    Almost every site now has 2+ forms of self-healing diverse backhaul including fiber + microwave with redundancy to where if one site loses backhaul, another neighboring site can provide it via microwave.

    2 Hardened data centers in Atlanta and Birmingham.

    Primary purpose is to provide utility workers with PTT and data to restore power, particularly after natural disasters. The network historically has been the only carrier that stays up after a disaster and the first one to come back up when sites are destroyed.

    It's just not feasible for most other wireless carries to take reliability this seriously. Though i'd argue that AT&T should due to FirstNet, even though they're nowhere close to LINC.

    Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. T-Mobile is the my first Choice still, but they keep disappointing me
    By teyong in forum Provider Rants, Kudos and Recommendations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-08-2009, 10:42 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 10:42 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 09:09 AM
  4. Telus Mobility is now roaming on Bell!
    By Vindicator in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-25-2002, 09:16 PM
  5. Bell Good deal that Bell Mobility is offering me VS. Telus
    By mikew44 in forum Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Solo
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-07-2001, 02:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks