Thread: Alcatel Zip-- does it do VoLTE?

Feedback Score

Alcatel Zip-- does it do VoLTE?

I haven't activated my GSM TF Alcatel Zip (A576BL) and wonder if anyone here has one, does it do VoLTE? I couldn't find any reference to enhanced call features under settings. Its APN mentions AT&T.

Name:  Screenshot_20191027-204854.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  22.6 KBName:  Screenshot_ziphome.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  38.1 KB

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The last I knew most AT&T MVNOs will not get VoLTE yet. The only AT&T MVNO that gets VoLTE is Cricket and Consumer Cellular. AT&T recently started to give their prepaid user VoLTE tho. So not sure when AT&T based Tracfone will get VoLTE tho unless you got it by accident.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    The last I knew most AT&T MVNOs will not get VoLTE yet. The only AT&T MVNO that gets VoLTE is Cricket and Consumer Cellular. AT&T recently started to give their prepaid user VoLTE tho. So not sure when AT&T based Tracfone will get VoLTE tho unless you got it by accident.
    So I guess that means it could be safe to try to use the Zip on TF, because if AT&T isn't rolling out VoLTE to TF yet, GSM/AT&T TF customers wouldn't be expected to upgrade phones to VoLTE capable ones. Not yet anyway.

Maybe if they begin to roll out VoLTE to GSM/AT&T TF customers, our AT&T/TF phones MIGHT become VoLTE enabled retroactively...?

I hope I got that right.

Sent from my A576BL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    Maybe if they begin to roll out VoLTE to GSM/AT&T TF customers, our AT&T/TF phones MIGHT become VoLTE enabled retroactively...?
    No way to know about AT&T VoLTE enabling on MVNOs until they release it. The Verizon experience was existing accounts were mostly not auto-enabled. There will likely be some of the same issue of whether a phone is VoLTE capable.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    When my family had straight talk they had volte.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post
    When my family had straight talk they had volte.
    On ST AT&T? That seems unlikely because, so far, there have been no other reports of an AT&T MVNO having VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    No way to know about AT&T VoLTE enabling on MVNOs until they release it. The Verizon experience was existing accounts were mostly not auto-enabled. There will likely be some of the same issue of whether a phone is VoLTE capable.
    The safe thing to do would be to swap my Samsung account to a TF-VZ phone that's already definitely VoLTE enabled but the ZIP is small like the Samsung, my VZ based LG Fiestas larger. I also thought having an AT&T based TF might be a good alternative since my other phones currently are VZ based.

I guess if and when VoLTE becomes a mandatory issue for AT&T like with VZ they'll warn the TF customers they need to update their phones if it doesn't automatically happen that the phones become enabled by the service provider.

Might be safe to transfer the account to the Zip on the basis that they'll warn us.

I have an unlocked AT&T LG Phoenix 2 but BYOP doesn't allow the 49.99 year service add on. Otherwise I already have a TMFL BYOP SIM kit. I like the 49.99 service add on because I don't like racking up lots of airtime but like having the service extended.

Sent from my LGL84VL using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I don't like the racking up of airtime, either.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    On ST AT&T? That seems unlikely because, so far, there have been no other reports of an AT&T MVNO having VoLTE.
    It worked on AT&T straight talk back in early 2019

Feedback Score

I didn't know ST used AT&T for service. My ST Fiesta is Verizon.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

I have not seen a large number of AT&T based Tracfone user get VoLTE yet. That is why I said in my reply unless you got it by accident.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I didn't know ST used AT&T for service. My ST Fiesta is Verizon.

For the first year or so ST was only Verizon. Then they added AT&T and T-Mobile (years ago now). Later they added Sprint with the introduction of a new phone. One Company tried to review the phone and service but could never get a signal to do the test. I do not know if they still bother with Sprint.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    WheelieBoot, you should someday find someone to tell you all about Straight Talk around 2012 when the Nokia E71 was first offered by them, which started a huge run on that device model (from Straight Talk directly) in order to extract the SIM and use it in other devices. Totally started the BYOP thing for the TracFone brands (unintentionally and unofficially). People were buying that phone, activating it with the included SIM, then putting the SIM into their iPhones (and others), which at the time were only capable (or allowed) on AT&T Wireless.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    For the first year or so ST was only Verizon. Then they added AT&T and T-Mobile (years ago now). Later they added Sprint with the introduction of a new phone. One Company tried to review the phone and service but could never get a signal to do the test. I do not know if they still bother with Sprint.
    far as i know, straight talk stills activates sprint phones - https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/por...Y/#KNOWCARRIER