Thread: Using AT&T iPhone 8 model A1905

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Using AT&T iPhone 8 model A1905

So I am a VZW customer and have the opportunity to buy, from an local seller, an AT&T iPhone 8 model A1905 which is unlocked. I have read that it does not support CDMA. Verizon tells me that this is a compatible phone with their network but the online compatibility checker says “CDMA Less” device. Exactly what will I be losing if I buy this phone? Is coverage not as good? Missing bands that affect coverage? Visual voicemail? I am confused by the while thing. If anyone is using this device on this network please reply. Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The phone will work with LTE (VoLTE) and VoWiFi only. If you leave the large LTE coverage area you will not have voice coverage on CDMA.

When I was on Verizon, I rarely was only on CDMA (spots in my workplace).

CDMA is going away by the end of 2020 on Verizon.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply. So if CDMA is being eliminated by Verizon, will their coverage become all LTE or nothing or are they replacing CDMA with
    Another technology that will fill in the spotty areas? Thanks again

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So if CDMA is being eliminated by Verizon, will their coverage become all LTE or nothing or are they replacing CDMA with
    That’s the $64,000 question- how will coverage play out the next couple of years on Verizon.

I would not buy the A1905 model iPhone 8. Lots of A1863 models out there that work on cdma+GSM +VoLTE NOW. $325-350 on Swappa.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You’re right. Thanks for the info.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Verizon is slowly adding 5G. One of the reasons to remove obsolete technologies to provide extra bandwidth.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    The a1905 (per google) supports band 13 (vzws primary band), 4, 2, and 5, and band 12 (which is good for us cellular lte roaming). I do not encounter non-lte areas personally (on my BlackBerry keyone), I would not sweat having a cdmaless device. To directly answer your question the plan is to have lte replace cdma coverage, and they are quite close to doing it.

per vzw's coverage maps it appears cdmaless devices actually have the same native coverage compared to cdma, plus a bit more roaming than cdma ones, they have it roaming off hspa roaming partners where there's no lte.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    The a1905 (per google) supports band 13 (vzws primary band), 4, 2, and 5, and band 12 (which is good for us cellular lte roaming). I do not encounter non-lte areas personally (on my BlackBerry keyone), I would not sweat having a cdmaless device. To directly answer your question the plan is to have lte replace cdma coverage, and they are quite close to doing it.

per vzw's coverage maps it appears cdmaless devices actually have the same native coverage compared to cdma, plus a bit more roaming than cdma ones, they have it roaming off hspa roaming partners where there's no lte.

I have the opposite. I go to places where LTE is weak, or so overcrowded that turning off LTE and using EvDO will provide usable data speeds.

It all just depends on where one lives/works/travels
    Verizon: Grandfathered UDP
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified (airline employee plan)
    AT&T: Premium & More w/ Free 100Mbps VDSL2 "for life"

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I must admit once or twice here the 4G got very congested and the 3G was a bit faster, when there's been home football games.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    If you are on a postpaid plan then you will roam on AT&T HSPA where there is no Verizon LTE signal.

If you are on a prepaid plan, you will not get any service where there is no Verizon LTE signal.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsz View Post
    If you are on a postpaid plan then you will roam on AT&T HSPA where there is no Verizon LTE signal.

If you are on a prepaid plan, you will not get any service where there is no Verizon LTE signal.
    As I understand, the phone will only roam on At&t networks (using HSPA) in select markets where there is a roaming agreement with At&t and Verizon. Never assume it will be all markets.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
    So if CDMA is being eliminated by Verizon, will their coverage become all LTE or nothing or are they replacing CDMA with
    The frequency/towers that had CDMA will become LTE Band 5. A difference of 1.25MHz will remain unused. Nothing is lost.
    In my area CDMA is only vestigial (that 1.25MHz that doesn't align with B5), most of the conversion to Band 5 happend already.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    As I understand, the phone will only roam on At&t networks (using HSPA) in select markets where there is a roaming agreement with At&t and Verizon. Never assume it will be all markets.
    in Columbus, OH i've roamed on AT&T LTE a few times on my Pixel, but never the iPhone.. the iPhone will always seem to drop to CDMA/EvDO in those buildings where Verizon LTE does not reach.

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    A couple of things here.

First, the AT&T iPhone has an Intel radio, which is not as good as the Verizon/unlocked iPhone's Qualcomm radio. On AT&T, this is a clear and simple advantage for the Verizon/Unlocked iPhone. On Verizon, it's more complicated. The AT&T iPhone will drop service sooner, but since it can't get CDMA, it is forced to hold onto LTE as long as it can, and may hold a marginally useful LTE signal where a Verizon/Unlocked iPhone will be on a stronger but useless CDMA/1x signal.

Second, Verizon is getting rid of CDMA, and their coverage will shrink in fringe areas, particularly mountainous areas. That's the nature of the beast, and it happened when analog was shut down, and it will happen when CDMA is shut down. I think they should keep some narrow slices of it running in the bits of B5 that can't be used for LTE anyway, but it's expensive to maintain the equipment for it, and make phones that support it, so it is going away. The network is increasingly tailored to urban/suburban users, and not so much for rural users in very remote areas. That's just where the market has gone.

Third, non-CDMA devices on Verizon have a different coverage map that offers less coverage in some areas (CDMA), but significantly better coverage in others, due to a roaming agreement with AT&T, particularly in the bizarre south Texas gap that Verizon has never bothered to build out, as well as in West Virginia, where Verizon normally uses USCC 1x roaming that's basically useless for data. At the same time, there are a few small CDMA roaming areas sprinkled around the country that the AT&T iPhone cannot get. Ideally, if you had one of each, you would have more coverage in some rural/remote areas where roaming partners are used.

As another bizarre side note, some of the OnePlus phones (6T or 7 maybe?) have the correct CDMA radios, and are physically compatible with Verizon CDMA, but Verizon activates them as LTE-only, likely due to some sort of certification red tape or something, so they follow the non-CDMA device coverage area, complete with AT&T roaming.