Thread: Galaxy S5 Marshmallow

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Wal-Mart (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score

Question Galaxy S5 Marshmallow

I have an unlocked Galaxy S5, model SM-G900A. It is unlocked, intended for AT&T wireless service. I bought it new from eBay or maybe an Amazon seller, I don't remember. I walked in to Wal-Mart and walked out with a working phone from the first time the phone was turned on (Wal-Mart Family Mobile powered by T-Mobile towers).

Recently, I removed the Alexa app from the phone. I thought there was a problem, so I thought removing and reinstalling would fix it. Guess what? The Alexa app is now available only for Android 6 and later. (This is why I like having physical media, and it shows the pitfall of the "app store" -- what they giveth, they can taketh away.)

I suspect I never got the Android 6 (Marshmallow) update because the phone is not "native" to AT&T's towers. When I check for updates, it says none are available.

Should I download Marshmallow firmware for an AT&T Galaxy S5 or a T-Mobile Galaxy S5? I have no real reason to switch away from Wal-Mart, it seems like a perfectly good deal for a phone that seldom leaves my house. And the current Android OS has no problems with AT&T's towers (the phone says "baseband version G900AUCU4BOF2", so probably it is Android 5.02 from AT&T).

I have upgraded BIOSes on motherboards and replaced a few blown capacitors. I have also run Linux for 20 years and put 2 partitions on my SD card for CHDK ("Canon Hack Development Kit"). So I have the technical know-how.

NOTE: I am not interested in rooting, I have no need for it.

But which firmware should I use? Any recommendations?

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Galaxy S5
    Carrier(s)
    Wal-Mart (T-Mobile)
    Feedback Score
    Thank you. Although I have no idea what the "PA2 to PE3" and "PE3 to PF3" and so forth mean. Literally NONE of those abbreviations appear anywhere on my "About Device" screen. I literally have no idea how to tell which level I am at. Is the "Full stock firmware, flashable by Odin", a way to get around this?

EDIT: The original post should say "And the current Android OS has no problems with T-Mobile's towers" (not AT&T's towers).

I apologize for that mistake, I don't know how it happened.
    Last edited by Superclerk; 10-21-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Feedback Score
    I would check online to see if you can find an old version of the alexa software from the manufacturer. If you find the old apk download it and side load it on your phone. Just make sure the download is from a trusted source.

Another option is to do a factory reset. This should restore all the original software on the phone.