Thread: Dual Sim VZW, has anything changed re the 2g SIM issue?

Device(s)
    MotoROKR
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Dual Sim VZW, has anything changed re the 2g SIM issue?

I have an ATT IPhone 11. As of a year ago, using VZW (prepaid MVNO in my case if that makes a difference) as a secondary NanoSIM forced 2g coverage instead of LTE.

In my case I am only using the MVNO for for calls/text so the data is not a big issue but coverage is (and as I understand it 2g coverage is worse than LTE). Is this still an issue? I cannot find many reports of people running this type of setup.

If so.. does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap MVNO that will work? I prefer VZW in my area but am open to others. I have a non Google Voice-portable number that I need to keep active so I go with the cheapest option available
    but I'd like to dispense with the 2nd phone.

Feedback Score
    Doesn’t the Apple FAQ’s say something about only 1 CDMA line on dual sim for data features?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jjason1114 View Post
    I have an ATT IPhone 11. As of a year ago, using VZW (prepaid MVNO in my case if that makes a difference) as a secondary NanoSIM forced 2g coverage instead of LTE. In my case I am only using the MVNO for for calls/text so the data is not a big issue but coverage is (and as I understand it 2g coverage is worse than LTE). Is this still an issue? I cannot find many reports of people running this type of setup. If so.. does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap MVNO that will work? I prefer VZW in my area but am open to others. I have a non Google Voice-portable number that I need to keep active so I go with the cheapest option available but I'd like to dispense with the 2nd phone.
    supposed to be resolved by the end of the year - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...issues-2g-cdma

Device(s)
    MotoROKR
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    supposed to be resolved by the end of the year - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...issues-2g-cdma
    I saw that as well. Look at the date of the article.. 2018. Actually there are several articles that all reference this issue being fixed before end of the year (2018). But I can't find any updates since. Almost strange.. maybe they resolved it very quietly?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Dual Sim VZW, has anything changed re the 2g SIM issue?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

You’ll need the CDMA-capable SIM as primary if you want both LTE and CDMA access on it. This hasn’t changed since last year, as this support article is up-to-date as of September.

Though if your CDMA MVNO sim also supports WiFi Calling, it should support using your (presuming AT&T by the OP mentioning phone used) cellular data for calls with iOS 13. That might be a workaround.

CDMA coverage still trumps LTE coverage in many areas, particularly in rural areas or areas where high speed travel makes LTE handoffs between towers complicated. That is partially why people are upset that Verizon is sunsetting the CDMA network late next year.

As for alternative inexpensive MVNOs: you might look/ask in the General Prepaid forum for better options. I use Verizon MVNO alongside with either an T-Mobile or AT&T SIM on my devices. T-Mobile MVNOs will have the cheapest options overall that work in unlocked devices. ADDENDUM: Red Pocket runs on any of the big 4 networks, and that might be a decent option.
    My common forum nick: GenesisDH.

R.I.P. Circuit City

We are the Bor... the new AT&T: Your World, Assimilated.

1000th post: Sept. 29th, 2008, 17:42 CDT

Device(s)
    MotoROKR
    Carrier(s)
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Dave View Post
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

You’ll need the CDMA-capable SIM as primary if you want both LTE and CDMA access on it. This hasn’t changed since last year, as this support article is up-to-date as of September.

Though if your CDMA MVNO sim also supports WiFi Calling, it should support using your (presuming AT&T by the OP mentioning phone used) cellular data for calls with iOS 13. That might be a workaround.

CDMA coverage still trumps LTE coverage in many areas, particularly in rural areas or areas where high speed travel makes LTE handoffs between towers complicated. That is partially why people are upset that Verizon is sunsetting the CDMA network late next year.

As for alternative inexpensive MVNOs: you might look/ask in the General Prepaid forum for better options. I use Verizon MVNO alongside with either an T-Mobile or AT&T SIM on my devices. T-Mobile MVNOs will have the cheapest options overall that work in unlocked devices. ADDENDUM: Red Pocket runs on any of the big 4 networks, and that might be a decent option.
    But if I set VZW as the primary the secondary could not be used for data, correct? That is what I was finding while searching, though perhaps that was only referring to a GSM primary/VZW 2nd scenario (where it defaults to 2g). In my case an ATT plan is provided and unlimited so in any case that will likely need to be my primary.

The only relevant bit I see in the article is: "To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information." Unless I'm misreading that doesn't address a GSM 1/CDMA 2 scenario?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 7T, Apple iPhone 6S, Apple iPad 3 (VZW variant)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon Prepaid, Total Wireless (Verizon), FreedomPop (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    But if I set VZW as the primary the secondary could not be used for data, correct? That is what I was finding while searching, though perhaps that was only referring to a GSM primary/VZW 2nd scenario (where it defaults to 2g). In my case an ATT plan is provided and unlimited so in any case that will likely need to be my primary.
    Yes, your AT&T SIM has to be primary in order to be used for data.
    The only relevant bit I see in the article is: "To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information." Unless I'm misreading that doesn't address a GSM 1/CDMA 2 scenario?
    Maybe I am misreading it, but usually I read ‘first’ to mean primary. You could try it to see what happens.