Thread: multiple cell phone carrier

Feedback Score

multiple cell phone carrier

Hi

I live in TX USA and i want to start a cell phone store (boost mobile and with some others good carriers and i am sales Associate at Boost mobile Store .

Please guide me if i buy running Store or should i start new store .

Feedback Score
    Have you seen your owners lately? Is your store your in NOT slow? There are way too many Cell Phone stores and most (like 99%) are losing money right now. It costs around 5,000 to 7,000 a month to keep a store going. If you work it yourself, that's fine, but your not getting paid. It can take 6 months or more for business to pick up. Wait till after DISH merger! The Tracfone MVNO's are all getting beat up right now, and they don't pay you very much. Like $30 or $40. You would have to augment your sales with phone repair specifically iPhone but flagship androids too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasdave View Post
    Have you seen your owners lately? Is your store your in NOT slow? There are way too many Cell Phone stores and most (like 99%) are losing money right now. It costs around 5,000 to 7,000 a month to keep a store going. If you work it yourself, that's fine, but your not getting paid. It can take 6 months or more for business to pick up. Wait till after DISH merger! The Tracfone MVNO's are all getting beat up right now, and they don't pay you very much. Like $30 or $40. You would have to augment your sales with phone repair specifically iPhone but flagship androids too.
    Thank you for this suggestion.i ll wait till DISH merger.

Feedback Score
    I have a friend who runs several RadioShacks. He's never given me specifics about his business, but basically prepaid wireless is just an extra business he uses to mostly bring traffic to his store (bill pays, activations, upgrades). He sells Boost, Page Plus, and H2O Wireless. He wouldn't be able to pay all of his bills if he only sold wireless and didn't sell higher margin electronics and accessories.

Sent from my moto g(7) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    if you plan on a multi-carrier store the money is 90% from buying and selling used phones and repairs. i would suggest making that your main focus and activating service a secondary thing to satisfy the occasional customer demand.

the most important key to success is to have the knowledge to repair as many phones as possible(both hardware like broken displays and charging ports and software like phones screwed up from messed up rooting and unlocking attempts, etc.) also have the ability to carrier unlock as many phone models as possible with both boxes and online services.

there is also a lot to learn about buying phones for resale, it is really easy to get ripped off if you do not know what you are doing.

if you perfect these skills you can make decent money and carrier activation are the frosting on the cake.

Feedback Score
    as for your actual question, there are 2 kinds of stores you can buy

1. a failing bussiness that you may be able to get cheap but would need to turn around, fix the reputation and start doing the right things

2. a successful bussiness, this option will cost a lot more money than starting from zero

i would suggest start a new store

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    My question would be can you even do that anymore? I'm not sure how things are now, but I know years ago they were only looking for people who would open multiple stores and they would try to make you agree that you would only sell their product in the state that you signed the agreement with. They also were telling stores not to tell people about what they were earning for commissions since they didn't want people to buy a store and expect the same commissions to carry over.

Doing a multicarrier store will mean that you are on the low end of any commission schedule that is given out. And it may impact your ability to get good phones in a timely manner. If you are going to do a multicarrier store, I'd suggest smaller brands that may be less strict about what phones you can sell and what you can carry. As said before, it may be easier to do a phone repair store and then approach carriers to say that you want to offer people the chance to switch to them after their phones are fixed. If repair is expensive in your area, you can make more reasonable prices and get traffic to your store. You can also get phones cheap on Amazon or eBay, fix them and sell them.

Either way, it's up to you as to what you do or try to do. But I would suggest holding off on investing in a store for now and wait to see what happens as far as networks and what kind of deals are offered to dealers before signing an agreement that locks you into anything. You'll also want to know what you can do if they don't live up to their agreement to help your business. (Example in my area being that even though there was to be a 1 mile radius between stores, they allowed someone who was opening multiple stores to open up less than a quarter mile from a multicarrier store.) Also, if there is someone who owns a single store or a small number of stores, you may want to ask them how things are going to see if you still want to continue with Boost or any other carrier.