Thread: FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile will still be the #3 Network regardless of the merger with Sprint. I am for the merger sine the extra spectrum they get with Sprint will allow a wireless ISP so I can call Comcast and tell them they are fired as my ISP.
    You make it sound like Comcast will be upset when you “FIRE” them. More than likely they could care less, and will probably tell you to go pound sand anyways since your not a high revenue customer. And no I have no love for Comcast.
    Hartford, CT Area

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    You make it sound like Comcast will be upset when you “FIRE” them. More than likely they could care less, and will probably tell you to go pound sand anyways since your not a high revenue customer. And no I have no love for Comcast.
    Comcast won't care if one person dumps them. But, if plenty of people come to the same decision, then Comcast's customer count and revenues will start dropping off and they most certainly will care.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    I do not know why two of the worst carriers would want to link up. I had Sprint and Boost for many years. I have personal knowledge of how bad the service was. I also had T-Mobile-to-go Prepaid. It had the worst indoor and inbuilding coverage. You had to go outside and stand on the sidewalk to talk to someone. It would ring inside but you couldn't talk to anybody. I go on www.consumeraffairs.com from time to time. I read all these comments about how T-Mobile has done all sorts of things with their promos, contract buy outs and customer phone repairs and given very bad customer service. All that puts a sour taste in my mouth. They are getting rid of Sprint to carry on with their shady business practices? US Attorney General's stay firm. Do not break the blockage of this bad merger. Fight them in court tooth and nail. Use this evidence as a weapon against approval!
    It's called business. Sprint has had only one profitable year in the last decade. Sprint has no future to continue operation. Sprint has spectrum and customers, along with some retail locations, cell sites, and employees that T-Mobile wants. T-Mobile needs the spectrum in particular to become a credible nationwide service.

Verizon and AT&T grew to what they are by buying up various smaller and failing carriers. Why is that not ok for T-Mobile?

If Sprint had a plausible path to continue on their own, it would be a different story.

I know from personal experience that Verizon customer service can be atrocious. T-Mo is not alone there.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    I'm skeptical about T-Mo's wireless ISP offering. .....
    Keep in mind that T-Mobile is going to inherent Sprint's contractual requirement to provide low-cost, unlimited, unthrottled wireless Internet service to low-income individuals and non-profit organizations.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Comcast won't care if one person dumps them. But, if plenty of people come to the same decision, then Comcast's customer count and revenues will start dropping off and they most certainly will care.
    I doubt they’ll lose much. They take care of their high revenue business customers.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Keep in mind that T-Mobile is going to inherent Sprint's contractual requirement to provide low-cost, unlimited, unthrottled wireless Internet service to low-income individuals and non-profit organizations.
    That's cool, and I have no doubt that T-Mo can provide an affordable base level of wireless internet to those who require it. Some people get by just fine using LTE as their primary internet source today, and this will certainly be an improvement over that.

What I'm skeptical of, is that they'll have the capacity to provide a service that's competitive in quality and cost to an incumbent, traditional wired ISP. "5G" is all well and good for device-to-tower speeds, but T-Mo still needs sufficient backhaul capacity to provide an effective alternative to the Comcasts, and Coxes of the world.

I just don't think the same wireless companies that currently threaten to "deprioritize" us if we dare use more than a few dozen GBs of data a month will suddenly be prepared to compete with ISPs that deliver hundreds of Gigs a month per user just because the air interface got a little faster...

5G fixed broadband will be ideal for the places beyond the reach of conventional ISPs; those currently served by far inferior WISPs or satellite, of course, and I suspect that'll be the primary type of user for the near term.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Yay now to take advantage of sprints spectrum

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    As I said in the Colorado thread, it's not about "getting things" as much as getting guarantees to insure that the potentially anti-consumer parts of the merger (price increases from lessened competition and job losses) don't happen.

No one is anti-merger just for anti-merger's sake- we're anti-merger because of the potential anti-consumer fallout. If New T-Mo guarantees satisfactory remedies for that fallout, there's little left to object to.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    If the merger is denied there will be job losses and price increases anyway. Sprint will cut jobs and offer new pans that offer less and cost more.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    Exactly. I used the TMobile Home Internet, and in my location... It is competitive on price and speed. It is less expensive than At&t and Spectrum. At&t $50 for 50 plus tax/fees for 12months, Spectrum 69.99 for 200Mbps or TMobile $50 for ~150Mbps.

Sent from my LM-G710 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score
    I can agree to your comment that it is business to a certain extent. What needs to be done is more investigation to the enormous amounts of customer complaints I have listed. T-Mobile also had a page and app on Facebook too. It''s customers barraged them with numerous complaints similar to what I have read on www.consumeraffairs.com. Are we suppose to throw this under the rug and let this shady company continue to do the same to 55 million new customers as well as their current ones? Take all the time to answer. If they are doing this currently - Why would they not do it under a new company or merged company? Obviously, They are profitting from this shady stuff some kind of way.

Feedback Score
    How much will prices go up?

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post
    I have had 6 outages from Comcast in both Cable TV and Internet that was between 4 hours to 28 hours in just the first 7 months of this year. The last time was in July and they just left 500 feet of cable above the ground that feeds 40 homes in my block. I have called them to bury it but every time they show up they claim they are the wrong group to bury it since July 10th. Last week I went to the city to try to force them to bury the cable. I am of 6 people on the HOA board for two hundred homes and Comcast’s 10 year contract ends in one year with the HOA. Comcast gets over $143,000 a year on our HOA contract that only includes basic cable TV with HBO but that doesn’t include Internet that cost me a extra $60 a month. I am going to do everything I can to fire Comcast from the entire HOA. I couldn’t care less if I cost Comcast $300K plus a year. I won’t have any problem when Comcast tells me to pound sand like you say. There is not one home owner in the entire HOA that likes Comcast.
    Last edited by shilohcane; 10-25-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    That's cool, and I have no doubt that T-Mo can provide an affordable base level of wireless internet to those who require it. Some people get by just fine using LTE as their primary internet source today, and this will certainly be an improvement over that.

What I'm skeptical of, is that they'll have the capacity to provide a service that's competitive in quality and cost to an incumbent, traditional wired ISP. "5G" is all well and good for device-to-tower speeds, but T-Mo still needs sufficient backhaul capacity to provide an effective alternative to the Comcasts, and Coxes of the world.
    Yes, and there will eventually be that fiber backhaul to service the 5G cells. It's not going to happen quickly but eventually all the carriers, not just T-Mobile, will have to put in the backhaul for 5G.

Since the 5G small cells will be on existing power poles and streetlight poles it won't be that hard to string fiber. If they want to go underground then it will be difficult and costly. The existing broadband providers that have already run fiber to the home will be able to compete on price and undercut the wireless carriers. 5G is more for IOT because of the extremely low latency. It won't replace broadband to the home unless the carriers are very aggressive with price.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have had 6 outages from Comcast in both Cable TV and Internet that was between 4 hours to 28 hours in just the first 7 months of this year. The last time was in July and they just left 500 feet of cable above the ground that feeds 40 homes in my block. I have called them to bury it but every time they show up they claim they are the wrong group to bury it since July 10th. Last week I went to the city to try to force them to bury the cable. I am of 6 people on the HOA board for two hundred homes and Comcast’s 10 year contract ends in one year with the HOA. Comcast gets over $143,000 a year on our HOA contract that only includes basic cable TV with HBO but that doesn’t include Internet that cost me a extra $60 a month. I am going to do everything I can to fire Comcast from the entire HOA. I couldn’t care less if I cost Comcast $300K plus a year. I won’t have any problem when Comcast tells me to pound sand like you say. There is not one home owner in the entire HOA that likes Comcast.
    Is the alternative any better? We can get broadband and TV from either Comcast or AT&T. Neither is wonderful. Comcast is less expensive. 5G may be a solution in a few years, but not right now.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

If you really want to raise your misery level with isp’s, then give Frontier a try if their in your area.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast