Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    From a technical standpoint, I tend to agree with this. A 5x5 LTE carrier plus a 10x10 5G NR carrier is scant gain (if any) over a 15x15 LTE carrier. But this isn't about what makes the best technical sense. It has a lot to do with marketing. Having T-Mobile phones showing "5G NR" just about everywhere they have service is a big deal to the folks in Marketing because it will be a big deal to the customers, regardless of the technical truth. I suppose, sooner or later, we'll get Vo5G and eventually LTE will go away, just as 2G and 3G are going away but that's for the far distant future, like in 4 years.
    I heard recently from a outside source that T-Mobile is waiting for DSS to be ready and once it is they’ll release a network update. It should be ready no later than 2021 if not next year.

Hopefully that’ll improve speeds for both LTE and 5G devices.

Sent from my iPhone 11

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    I suspect that in the long term they will increase rural coverage 'somewhat'. There's a lot at stake for TMobile. From IoT to media... It's a 'go big or go home' approach, especially if you have the spectrum to deploy and win. Some government contracts are :meh: while others may be like a pot of gold. Future logistics and driverless vehicles will require big infrastructure, and it would be a game changer. That being said... TMobile has a long ways to go ... Including backup generators.
    ]
    There will be a lot of government contracts that require 5G because of IOT devices that cities, counties, and states want to deploy. But this won't necessarily require rural coverage.

T-Mobile is way behind AT&T and Verizon in the deployment of 5G. Now that the Sprint merger appears to be a done deal they are going to have to start spending a lot of money to catch up on 5G, but they are going to miss the early adopter government and industry segment. AT&T and Verizon have been deploying LTE small cells all over my area and those cells can be quickly upgraded to 5G once the backhaul fiber is installed. T-Mobile hasn't started with small cells yet in my area.

For AT&T and Verizon subscribers there is an expectation of rural coverage but T-Mobile's customer base is more price conscious and has lower expectations of rural coverage. I thought about moving our personal phones from T-Mobile to Verizon or to a Verizon MVNO, in order to improve coverage but I don't want to lose T-Mobile's international roaming.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if it's fair to say T-Mo is "way" behind. AT&T and VZW have not had 5G out for that long, and the devices at this point are not yet mature (something odd like the current Galaxy S10 5g supports only mmwave 5G, and S10 Note only sub-6ghz 5G...) I do have to admit, if I were in a market with mmwave 5G that S10 5G would be tempting. You are right that anyone that's put in a dense LTE network's in a better position to run a dense 5G network.

Does anyone know what kind of wireless backhaul the cell cos are using? I've read T-Mo favors running fiber to a site and wireless backhaul off of that, and VZW does that here in Iowa; Iowa City for example, the sites originally each had a T1 for data (when 3G came up here initially it would max at exactly 1.5mbps due to this). From what I gather they requested faster 100mbps or gigabit lines, waited some months, then put in wireless backhaul when the lines were not there yet. The fiber runs to a site downtown that probably is visible from several other sites and the backhaul works it's way out from there.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    LOL . Say something interesting next time you try to attack T-Mobile.
    Not attacking T-Mobile. Just pointing out what will happen.

May try them again so no need to jump on me. I actually support the merger now

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I'm no longer a T-Mobile customer. Got too expensive compared to the deal I got with att.

One thing we can be sure of, if this deal goes through T-Mobile will surely raise prices after the 3 years.
    You have no basis for this conjecture. Especially considering that the trend has been for lower prices and increased value, all along the history of cell plans for the past couple of decades, which have had periodic major mergers.

I would not say this myself, but I can see that someone would say you are "bashing T-Mobile" when you are condemning the company for actions it has not done, and most likely never will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    ....I thought about moving our personal phones from T-Mobile to Verizon or to a Verizon MVNO, in order to improve coverage but I don't want to lose T-Mobile's international roaming.
    Do you need international coverage very frequently?

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Possible but around here if you don't worship T-Mobile you get labels like hater and basher

For the record I'm for the merger since I think it's the better of the two choices even if prices eventually go up

I think prices will go up merger or no merger

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    T-Mobile is way behind AT&T and Verizon in the deployment of 5G......
    "Way behind"??? I'd say "Weeks behind" and that's just because they don't care to make any monumental 5G screw-ups like Verizon did with their 5G roll-out belly-flop.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    "Way behind"??? I'd say "Weeks behind" and that's just because they don't care to make any monumental 5G screw-ups like Verizon did with their 5G roll-out belly-flop.
    Yeah they will be able to gain ground fast so not too behind. I wouldn’t even really call them behind at this point with how little 5g the rest have

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Do you need international coverage very frequently?
    A few times a year. when we land in a foreign country we want our phones to be working right away, even if it's just slow data and paid calls, and then we can go buy a local prepaid SIM card for high-speed data. That's an advantage of T-Mobile postpaid. But the coverage issues of T-Mobile in the U.S. are beginning to weigh heavily on our family.

Feedback Score
    In AUG/2019, VZW adjusted their unlimited plans and rearranged the capped data alotments with the most expensive, the $100.00/month plan getting 75 GB of Premium 4gLTE, up from 50GB, I think, and 30GB of 4G LTE hotspot data, which was doubled from 15GB.

Today, AT&T announced a similar move, adding a lower priced tier of capped unl data and adding 15GB of hotspot to the former low priced plan and promising an Elite Plan to compete with Verizon, complete with HBO Max by MAY/2020.

With the impending buyout of Sprint in mind, did the big 2 duolopy, AT&T and Verizon, raise prices or lower prices?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well, Verizon’s “5G belly flop” is giving them 1-2 Gbps speeds throughout downtown Chicago, whereas T-Mobile can barely load Ookla, and AT&T is stuck between 10-100 Mbps LTE. At least that was my experience last month, with an iPhone 11 Pro on AT&T, Note 10+ 5G on Verizon, and iPhone 8 Plus on Verizon. It’s lacking 4x4 and LAA, but I don’t think those tiny WiFi router of an excuse flexi zones T-Mobile uses as small cells support either of those features. I’d say that’s a pretty damn good use for 5G mmW. Verizon has it on pretty much every small cell they have down there, and there are hundreds. That’s quite a bit more than “a few weeks behind,” as that work takes years to do.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4 (85 MHz DL, 15 MHz UL)

Duluth, MN
    4+14 UL CA (30 MHz DL/UL)

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmule View Post
    In AUG/2019, VZW adjusted their unlimited plans and rearranged the capped data alotments with the most expensive, the $100.00/month plan getting 75 GB of Premium 4gLTE, up from 50GB, I think, and 30GB of 4G LTE hotspot data, which was doubled from 15GB.

Today, AT&T announced a similar move, adding a lower priced tier of capped unl data and adding 15GB of hotspot to the former low priced plan and promising an Elite Plan to compete with Verizon, complete with HBO Max by MAY/2020.

With the impending buyout of Sprint in mind, did the big 2 duolopy, AT&T and Verizon, raise prices or lower prices?
    Adding higher data caps, that the vast, vast majority of customers will never reach, is not lowering prices.

Whether Verizon includes 50GB versus 75GB of phone data, and 15GB versus 30GB of hotspot data, it matters to almost no one. Average monthly data usage per person is between 4GB and 7GB depending on the carrier and on which study you believe. Personally we could reduce our data usage by about 80% if we used Wi-Fi when it's available, but we don't bother. We'd want to use a VPN with Wi-Fi in some cases (airports, hotels, libraries, restaurants) which is a hassle.

T-Mobile at least includes some useful stuff, including basic Netflix and free, albeit slow, international data. I'd much rather have Netflix than HBO because I would be paying for Netflix but I wouldn't pay for HBO. But this inclusion of unrelated freebies to entice customers is getting a little ridiculous. I'd like a bowl of chili and a Frosty from Wendy's, or a Double-Double from In N Out please, I have no interest in a free taco from Taco Bell. But what I'd really like is better coverage.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Well, Verizon’s “5G belly flop” is giving them 1-2 Gbps speeds throughout downtown Chicago, whereas T-Mobile can barely load Ookla, and AT&T is stuck between 10-100 Mbps LTE. ......
    I suppose you're right, provided that your whole world is Chicago.
    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  22.7 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I suppose you're right, provided that your whole world is Chicago.
    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  22.7 KB
    Verizon has launched 5G in 14 cities so far this year, including NYC. Minneapolis has a similar 5G grid to Chicago (I’ve been to both in the last month) can’t speak for other cities, but they’re clearly not a few weeks ahead of T-Mobile. More like months if not years.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast