Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 117

Thread: FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,294
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yep, I doubt Dish will want Sprint's 800mhz equipment; Dish plans a 5G network, while Sprint's equipment is probably not 5G upgradeable in any way. Sprint's got 800mhz as their sole low band spectrum, so I would guess the antennas are tuned particularly for that range. Dish has 600, 700, and 800 low so they'd probably want different antennas as well.

    It'd make sense to lease the spectrum to T-Mo to continue operating 800mhz LTE until Dish actually gets around to doing something with it in a given area.

    If you have Sprint, don't fear! Might need a new phone to replace that 800mhz coverage, but not for several years; at that point, rather than 800mhz you'd be using t-mo's 600mhz and 700mhz spectrum for max range, and of course you'd have roughly twice as much pcs (1900) and AWS (2100) (both Sprint's and T-Mos) for when you're closer but not quite in 2500mhz range.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,349
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    I think Tmobile would likely lease that spectrum back from Dish for the foreseeable future though because separating it via new connections down the tower, new equipment huts and new back haul to switching gear that isn't in place at all isn't going to pop up over night.
    I think that it will be at least a year plus before Dish even buys the 800 MHz since they have no network and will be leasing all of Dish’s 600 MHz spectrums. They could be leasing all of Dish’s cell phone spectrum to T- Mobile for a while since the Boost phones don’t even work on some of Dish’s current spectrum bands. Boost customers don’t have a lot of quality phones.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,566
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I think that it will be at least a year plus before Dish even buys the 800 MHz.
    Isn't Tmobile selling that spectrum part of the approved deal? How would they say, 'oh don't worry, we'll buy it next year - we promise.' I'm not sure that would fly 'if' in fact that is part of the requirement that gained both FCC and DOJ approval.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,349
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    Isn't Tmobile selling that spectrum part of the approved deal? How would they say, 'oh don't worry, we'll buy it next year - we promise.' I'm not sure that would fly 'if' in fact that is part of the requirement that gained both FCC and DOJ approval.
    Dish and T-Mobile will either sign an agreement to buy the 800Mhz in the future or buy it and lease it to T-Mobile. Dish doesn’t have any revenue to pay for thousands of tower leases. Dish is going to lease all of their 600 MHz spectrum to T-Mobile for a few years since Boost customers don’t have Band 71 phones. The new T-Mobile is going to have to transfer all the non-Boost Sprint customers to the new T-Mobile. Dish has no use for 800MHz or the revenue to build out yet. I expect Dish to also lease their other spectrum to T-Mobile to increase their revenue plus meet the FCC deadline in 2020 for that spectrum under the use it or lose it FCC rule. Dish is going to start out as a NVMO at first. Dish’s plan for a Dish Native Network that will be 5G under the Release 16 which is stand alone version of 5G.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,566
    Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Dish and T-Mobile will either sign an agreement to buy the 800Mhz in the future or buy it and lease it to T-Mobile.
    Which is exactly what I originally stated and now you cite that as a possible yourself. Talk about circular logic.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,008
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Colorado is dropping their lawsuit against the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. Colorado is evidence that the states are not really objecting to the merger, more that the lawsuits are trying to get things from the merger. In Colorado's case, they are dropping it after Dish has promised to build their new wireless headquarters in the state.

    I suspect we'll see more lawsuits dropped by states over the coming days.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,488
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Colorado is dropping their lawsuit against the T-Mobile/Sprint merger. Colorado is evidence that the states are not really objecting to the merger, more that the lawsuits are trying to get things from the merger. In Colorado's case, they are dropping it after Dish has promised to build their new wireless headquarters in the state.

    I suspect we'll see more lawsuits dropped by states over the coming days.
    As I said in the Colorado thread, it's not about "getting things" as much as getting guarantees to insure that the potentially anti-consumer parts of the merger (price increases from lessened competition and job losses) don't happen.

    No one is anti-merger just for anti-merger's sake- we're anti-merger because of the potential anti-consumer fallout. If New T-Mo guarantees satisfactory remedies for that fallout, there's little left to object to.






    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,008
    Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    As I said in the Colorado thread, it's not about "getting things" as much as getting guarantees to insure that the potentially anti-consumer parts of the merger (price increases from lessened competition and job losses) don't happen.

    No one is anti-merger just for anti-merger's sake- we're anti-merger because of the potential anti-consumer fallout. If New T-Mo guarantees satisfactory remedies for that fallout, there's little left to object to.






    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I'm sure it was merely being "pro-consumer" that made them hold out until Dish promised them their wireless HQ would be built in Colorado. Though perhaps you can explain, how does an HQ help Colorado consumers? Sure, it will allegedly bring a few new jobs to Colorado but how does that help the average poor person afford their wireless bill?

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,488
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Yes, I'm sure it was merely being "pro-consumer" that made them hold out until Dish promised them their wireless HQ would be built in Colorado. Though perhaps you can explain, how does an HQ help Colorado consumers? Sure, it will allegedly bring a few new jobs to Colorado but how does that help the average poor person afford their wireless bill?
    Again, the anti-merger crowd is concerned primarily with two things: wireless costs and jobs. The Colorado deal at least tried to address both- jobs via a DISH wireless HQ (DISH already provides hundreds of jobs here between their satellite TV HQ in Littleton and a nearby distribution center that sends their satellite equipment to dealers and installers throughout the region), and costs via the same rate plan deal as Mississippi- $15/month for unlimited talk, text and 2GB data, and $25 for UT&T and 5GB data, guaranteed to all residents for at least 5 years post-merger.





    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    60
    Feedback Score
    0
    I do not know why two of the worst carriers would want to link up. I had Sprint and Boost for many years. I have personal knowledge of how bad the service was. I also had T-Mobile-to-go Prepaid. It had the worst indoor and inbuilding coverage. You had to go outside and stand on the sidewalk to talk to someone. It would ring inside but you couldn't talk to anybody. I go on www.consumeraffairs.com from time to time. I read all these comments about how T-Mobile has done all sorts of things with their promos, contract buy outs and customer phone repairs and given very bad customer service. All that puts a sour taste in my mouth. They are getting rid of Sprint to carry on with their shady business practices? US Attorney General's stay firm. Do not break the blockage of this bad merger. Fight them in court tooth and nail. Use this evidence as a weapon against approval!

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    810
    Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    FCC Approves T-Mobile-Sprint Merger

    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    I do not know why two of the worst carriers would want to link up. I had Sprint and Boost for many years. I have personal knowledge of how bad the service was. I also had T-Mobile-to-go Prepaid. It had the worst indoor and inbuilding coverage. You had to go outside and stand on the sidewalk to talk to someone. It would ring inside but you couldn't talk to anybody. I go on www.consumeraffairs.com from time to time. I read all these comments about how T-Mobile has done all sorts of things with their promos, contract buy outs and customer phone repairs and given very bad customer service. All that puts a sour taste in my mouth. They are getting rid of Sprint to carry on with their shady business practices? US Attorney General's stay firm. Do not break the blockage of this bad merger. Fight them in court tooth and nail. Use this evidence as a weapon against approval!
    It’s funny you mention consumer affairs when T-Mobile has a overall higher rating than Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint.

    If you want to talk about shady business practices what about when AT&T tried blocking FaceTime over cellular or Verizon trying to force customers off their old unlimited plans.

    They all have their share of “shady” business practices.


    Sent from my iPhone 11

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,488
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-of-NC View Post
    It’s funny you mention consumer affairs when T-Mobile has a overall higher rating than Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint.

    If you want to talk about shady business practices what about when AT&T tried blocking FaceTime over cellular or Verizon trying to force customers off their old unlimited plans.
    Which is exactly why some of us are against this. T-Mo has high marks with consumers because they are a perfect example of the old addage "number two (or in this case, number three!) tries harder..."

    When T-Mo merges with Sprint, they will become the thing they supposedly despise (one of the large carriers that abuse their power over consumers), they lose the incentive to continually win our loyalty. T-Mo has demonstrably poorer coverage than the big two, but has inspired a fierce loyalty among their customers because T-Mo has had to beat the big two in other ways, namely price and customer service.





    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,349
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Which is exactly why some of us are against this. T-Mo has high marks with consumers because they are a perfect example of the old addage "number two (or in this case, number three!) tries harder..."

    When T-Mo merges with Sprint, they will become the thing they supposedly despise (one of the large carriers that abuse their power over consumers), they lose the incentive to continually win our loyalty. T-Mo has demonstrably poorer coverage than the big two, but has inspired a fierce loyalty among their customers because T-Mo has had to beat the big two in other ways, namely price and customer service.





    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    T-Mobile will still be the #3 Network regardless of the merger with Sprint. I am for the merger sine the extra spectrum they get with Sprint will allow a wireless ISP so I can call Comcast and tell them they are fired as my ISP.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,294
    Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    I do not know why two of the worst carriers would want to link up. I had Sprint and Boost for many years. I have personal knowledge of how bad the service was. I also had T-Mobile-to-go Prepaid. It had the worst indoor and inbuilding coverage. You had to go outside and stand on the sidewalk to talk to someone. It would ring inside but you couldn't talk to anybody.
    Agreed regarding sprint; t-mo would primarily be using sprint's spectrum, mostly using sprint sites in areas sprint covers that t-mo doesn't (if there are any.).

    T-Mo? Locally iwireless (who t-mobile bought) had a sparsely built 1900 and 2100 aws network, and it's just like you say; service goes out indoors, outside the city there's dead spots due to low site density. But! They've got all this 600 and 700mhz spectrum now, same sites that are sparse on 1900 should provide plenty of coverage on 600m



    Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,488
    Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile will still be the #3 Network regardless of the merger with Sprint. I am for the merger sine the extra spectrum they get with Sprint will allow a wireless ISP so I can call Comcast and tell them they are fired as my ISP.
    I'm skeptical about T-Mo's wireless ISP offering. Cool idea in theory, but I suspect the reality will be a lot like T-Mo's "game changing" TV service- overpriced and underwhelming. Nothing against T-Mo, but putting the 5G hype aside, there's very little the wireless version of anything can do that the wired version can't do better.

    The biggest advantage of wireless ISPs, IMO, is that the added competition might help drive the cost of "real" ISPs down a little.


    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-15-2019, 11:48 PM
  2. Replies: 48
    Last Post: 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 02:54 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-04-2018, 07:14 PM
  5. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 07-28-2018, 07:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks