Thread: AT&T MX and Telcel Roaming while in Mexico

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

AT&T MX and Telcel Roaming while in Mexico

My wife and I just completed a 10 day trip through Mexico where we went to many different size towns. While there I had some roaming behavior that I cannot explain. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8 unbranded/unlocked on the AT&T $50 a month plan and my wife's phone is an AT&T branded iphone on the AT&T $50 a month plan. Throughout all of our travels in Mexico my phone never went to the AT&T MX network. My phone always displayed Telcel and the roaming indicator. More than once I tried a power off/on to see if it would go to AT&T MX, but it instantly would go back to roaming on Telcel. The entire time while my phone was on Telcel my wife's phone would be on AT&T MX. Just for the fun of it I attempted to force my wife's phone to Telcel, but hers always stayed on AT&T MX never Telcel. Everywhere we went she had full bars of signal on AT&T and I had full bars of signal on Telcel. Neither one of us had any issues with calling, texting or data. I have no idea why my phone insisted on roaming with Telcel. I'm just curious as to why two phones right next to each other stayed on different networks. Any ideas?

Feedback Score
    did your wife's iphone have the roaming switch turned on ?? it may also depend on what bands the iphone has that determine what tower the phone connects to.

Feedback Score
    oh please don't tell me only AT&T branded devices are allowed to roam on AT&T MX now.
    May not make much sense but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, ha!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10 5G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Is AT&T MX a cellular service provider?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did your wife's iphone have the roaming switch turned on ?? it may also depend on what bands the iphone has that determine what tower the phone connects to.
    I did check the iphone roaming ability and roaming is enabled as it is on my Galaxy S8. The iphone is also up to date with all AT&T bands both in the United States and Mexico.

Just as a side note I was last in Mexico about 9 months ago and my Galaxy S8 always stayed locked onto AT&T MX and never roamed onto Telcel. When my phone connected to Telcel on this trip I did not know anything about Telcel and had to do the research to see what Telcel was all about.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Highline View Post
    Is AT&T MX a cellular service provider?
    AT&T MX is the Mexican counterpart to AT&T in the United States. AT&T MX is owned by AT&T.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-410, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Was your wife able to pick networks on her iPhone? I've been trying to get Manual Network Selection pushed to mine and it seems to be a postpaid-only feature even though AT&T Prepaid seems to support all Mexican and Canadian networks for roaming.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Was your wife able to pick networks on her iPhone? I've been trying to get Manual Network Selection pushed to mine and it seems to be a postpaid-only feature even though AT&T Prepaid seems to support all Mexican and Canadian networks for roaming.
    Neither my wife (iphone) or myself (Galaxy S8) had the option for manual network selection. I have had AT&T postpaid and prepaid for many years and have never had the option to manually select networks on any of my phones. There have been times when I wish I had that option.

Device(s)
    iPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid, Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have spent ~6 weeks in Mexico this year with most of it on AT&T prepaid. Mine seemed to randomly jump between Telcel and ATT MX - I have an iPhone Xr. I assumed it was based on signal strength and my location.

One of my trips I was actually on VZ prepaid and had a worse experience as it seemed to struggle to decide what to connect to in their case. I noticed a Network Selection option in my Cellular settings that let me turn off Automatic and select a provider. If forced to Telcel or Movistar (in the area I was) VZ then worked great and it stopped what seemed like constant searching for what to talk to.

Oddly enough the Network Selection menu was not always present and I don't believe I have personally ever seen it on ATT (prepaid or postpaid). I think the menu may have something to do with Carrier settings sent to the phone and what towers the phone can see / connect to. You can imagine they don't want you to roam if you don't have to, thus they may want to hide it.

FWIW all of this described above was with the same iPhone Xr. 6 weeks of travel (1 week per trip, roughly once per month) between February and September. My VZ trip was in August the rest were on ATT prepaid. For the VZ trip I had to use International TravelPass since roaming to Mexico was not inherently included in the prepaid plan.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post
    I have spent ~6 weeks in Mexico this year with most of it on AT&T prepaid. Mine seemed to randomly jump between Telcel and ATT MX - I have an iPhone Xr. I assumed it was based on signal strength and my location.

One of my trips I was actually on VZ prepaid and had a worse experience as it seemed to struggle to decide what to connect to in their case. I noticed a Network Selection option in my Cellular settings that let me turn off Automatic and select a provider. If forced to Telcel or Movistar (in the area I was) VZ then worked great and it stopped what seemed like constant searching for what to talk to.

Oddly enough the Network Selection menu was not always present and I don't believe I have personally ever seen it on ATT (prepaid or postpaid). I think the menu may have something to do with Carrier settings sent to the phone and what towers the phone can see / connect to. You can imagine they don't want you to roam if you don't have to, thus they may want to hide it.

FWIW all of this described above was with the same iPhone Xr. 6 weeks of travel (1 week per trip, roughly once per month) between February and September. My VZ trip was in August the rest were on ATT prepaid. For the VZ trip I had to use International TravelPass since roaming to Mexico was not inherently included in the prepaid plan.
    Thanks for providing the above information about your roaming behavior while in Mexico. I just thought it odd in my case that my Galaxy S8 was stuck on Telcel while my wife had full bars of signal strength on AT&T MX. I would have thought that AT&T would want me on their AT&T MX network so that I would not be roaming on Telcel.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Does it cost anything to roam on Telcel? I'm on the $50 Walmart / AT&T Prepaid plan that includes roaming in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using HoFo mobile app
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada Talk & Text, 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada Talk, World Text, 8+9 GB Data
    AT&T: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, 8+17 GB data

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    Does it cost anything to roam on Telcel? I'm on the $50 Walmart / AT&T Prepaid plan that includes roaming in Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using HoFo mobile app
    There is no extra charge for the roaming on Tercel. Roaming is included with the $50 plan and the phone switches from AT&T MX to Telcel automatically.