Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Straight Talk Home Phone and the end of Verizon 3G?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I just ran into a new home phone box for people that is still waiting: https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=25037. So not to sure what happened to the Franklin box because a few of my local Walmarts have removed the Franklin price tag off the shelves.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I just ran into a new home phone box for people that is still waiting: https://support.straighttalk.com/dev...e?device=25037. So not to sure what happened to the Franklin box because a few of my local Walmarts have removed the Franklin price tag off the shelves.
    Thanks for the update. I could not find the new unit being sold at ST. They still have the ZTE for $50 new, $20 refurbed.

I did receive the refurbed ZTE I ordered. I activated and connected an old analog phone. The unit looks like-new and works fine. The call audio quality is ok, but not as clear as true landline or my Obi. It's good enough for my use as a backup to the Obi. It generally shows 2 of 4 signal bars so my signal is not great. I don't have a good place to put it for better signal.

I tried it one time on my fax. It did not work. The audio sounded gnarly when it tried to connect to the receiving fax. It was just a test to satisfy my curiosity. I don't need it to work for fax.

I have not replaced my alarm console that got zapped by lightning yet to try that.

The number I got seems to be pretty clean. I have been getting a few calls a week. That is about the same as I get on my cellphone. Only "The System" has the number to call it. No one I know has the number.

I noticed that you get a very limited time to "dial" a number before it times out.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Okay everyone, I got a notice on my Straight Talk account that I need to contact customer service. So I called them today (11/18/2019) and they notified me that the Huawei H258C home phone unit on my account will become obsolete December 31, 2019. So while Verizon has extended the 3G 'sunset" through year 2020, Straight Talk is going to turn all CDMA home phone boxes and phones off at the end of the year. They (Straight Talk) are switching everything over to voLTE.

So I went ahead and bought the reconditioned ZTE Z723EL home phone base on their website for $19.99. That one will go to my parent's house. I've already switched out my own Huawei with the ZTE home phone unit. I bought a reconditioned unit for $19.99 and it works like a charm. The calls are much clearer and faster response (little lag time) and I haven't encountered the signal drift I did with the Huawei unit.

Not sure how much longer Straight Talk will offer the reconditioned ZTE units for $19.99, so if you're trying to switch your units out, that's a great deal (especially since the new ZTE units are $49.99).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2