Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: transfer phone number from a lost phone

Feedback Score

transfer phone number from a lost phone

Hi,

My daughter lost her tracfone (BYOP iphone).

If I were to get another unlocked iPhone can I activate a new SIM and transfer the old phone number and possibly the balance still on it.

What is the best way I can do this? Online or through chat or via phone? Can this even be done if I do not have the old phone in my possession?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    First of all, make sure the lost phone gets put into a Tracfone account. That will help keep it under your control. Also, it should pull up all the relevant phone details.

Then notify TF that the phone is lost. I think you can do this online.

Then you can shop for something new and take care of the transfer.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Best way is to use chat, so you'll have a written transcript of what was said/taken place.

Was the BYOP SIM ever put into a TF account (either hers or yours)? If it was, that's proof of ownership, and TF will shut down that SIM and transfer the balance to your new phone. If it wasn't in an account, you'll need to know the SIM number, and possibly the IMEI of the BYOP too (if the BYOP SIM was for TF/Verizon). That's why it's strongly recommended that you have all your Tracfones/SIMs placed into your account. Otherwise, it's very easy for someone to have all your balances/days transferred to their phone.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. The phone is already in a tracfone account so I can view its balances.

May I ask what is the benefit of reporting it lost? Will that complicate transfer of balances?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vjones211 View Post
    May I ask what is the benefit of reporting it lost? Will that complicate transfer of balances?
    When you report it lost, TF will "freeze" that phone, so whoever has it can't use up all your units. Reporting it lost will not complicate the transfer of balances.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    My son had his phone stolen-it was on my account. I called it in- they froze the phone and held his balances till he had another iPhone. We called and they moved his balances to that phone. This keeps the person with your phone from using all your mins, data etc.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The phone is basically locked- they can’t even add anything to it.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the advice. I was able to freeze it while I try to find a inexpensive used phone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the advice. I was able to freeze it while I try to find a inexpensive used phone.
    If you want a new phone, there are a few cheaper Android phones that would be still good too.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the suggestion. (We switched from Android a while back to allow shared calendars, apps, albums etc for the family and now it is almost irreversible. )

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for the suggestion. (We switched from Android a while back to allow shared calendars, apps, albums etc for the family and now it is almost irreversible. )
    I did not know that you could do that.

Most Simple Mobile phones can't be rebranded very easily. If I remember right, you have to SIM swap it. Look at the Moto E5 thread if I remember right. I know there was some people tried to get Simple Mobile branded phones rebranded a while back tho.

Edit: Here is the thread that I remember: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...to-e5-findings

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Most Simple Mobile phones can't be rebranded very easily. If I remember right, you have to SIM swap it.
    This is a BYOP account, so not sure if you can rebrand a Tracfone model with a service transfer anyway. Better to get an unlocked phone. We don't know the carrier that the lost phone was on either.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Two things...you can add a short message on the screen listing another phone to call if found...Maybe someone honest will find it. The second thing, I used the minc on the 611611 list to change my phone number and i got one weirder than the one I changed. If I recall correcly some time back I did this and instead of TF assigning a number, I was offered to select one from a list. Ayone know how often you can attempt this?

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    you can add a short message on the screen listing another phone to call if found...Maybe someone honest will find it.
    I put my phone number on the back of my wife's phone, and her phone number on the back of my phone. One time, she left her phone on a park bench, someone found it, called me, and since that person lived not too far from us, he brought it to our home and refused the money that we offered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast