Thread: Merger: From the morning briefing.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

Merger: From the morning briefing.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10/...st-experts-doj

They do have a point that it's unlikely that Dish will ever create a viable 4th network.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Merger: From the morning briefing.

Well I think as popular as Xfinity Wireless (running into Verizon) is becoming, a Dish Cellular that took a similar strategy would be welcome.

It is indeed a convoluted arrangement but so is Google Fi, Xfinity, LTEira, RWA etc...Wireless is becoming more and more virtualized where there can be multiple brands but different network cores.

If Dish covers 70% of the population in just a few years that will be amazing progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Well I think as popular as Xfinity Wireless (running into Verizon) is becoming, a Dish Cellular that took a similar strategy would be welcome.

It is indeed a convoluted arrangement but so is Google Fi, Xfinity, LTEira, RWA etc...Wireless is becoming more and more virtualized where there can be multiple brands but different network cores.

If Dish covers 70% of the population in just a few years that will be amazing progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But if DISH only covers 70% of the population, how will it possibly be viable against the (now 3) large, more or less equal carriers?

It's impossible to survive and compete if you're slightly smaller than your competition...

...or at least that's what I've been told by the supporters of this merger...

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/10/...st-experts-doj

They do have a point that it's unlikely that Dish will ever create a viable 4th network.
    Then why did the FCC allow Dish to buy all that cell phone sprectrum nationwide if they didn’t think Dish was qualified to build out a cell phone network?

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    But if DISH only covers 70% of the population, how will it possibly be viable against the (now 3) large, more or less equal carriers?

It's impossible to survive and compete if you're slightly smaller than your competition...

Well, for me, I think T-Mo could compete fine without the merger; they seem to be doing a good job buying up spectrum and more importantly making use of it. Sprint has plenty of spectrum, but their network has been a mess for a long time, and recently they've as much as said they don't have enough revenue coming in to cover the costs of modernizing their network. I favor their spectrum going to parties that'll make good use of it.

I think a modern carrier could cover 70% pops, roam where they don't cover, and still make a go of it, no problem. They've got nationwide licenses so they could overbuild anywhere the roaming costs get too high. Will Dish succeed at it? Don't know. I think starting from scratch with a 5G network like they plan to do will help avoid plenty of "legacy" costs, and they have a decent chance.
    Last edited by hwertz; 10-14-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

There isn’t one network that has anything close to 100% native network coverage. Every network today still pays for roaming. Even if Dish only has spectrum today for 70% of the nation they have roaming on the new T-Mobile for a long time. Over 85% of every phone access today is over WiFi. Comcast and Charter are building out a WiFi Network that roams on other networks only when they don’t have WiFi. Both Comcast and Charter are adding millions more hotspots.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    There isn’t one network that has anything close to 100% native network coverage. Every network today still pays for roaming. Even if Dish only has spectrum today for 70% of the nation they have roaming on the new T-Mobile for a long time. Over 85% of every phone access today is over WiFi. Comcast and Charter are building out a WiFi Network that roams on other networks only when they don’t have WiFi. Both Comcast and Charter are adding millions more hotspots.
    Well said. Their roaming agreement with T-Mobile may continue indefinitely; or they could form a roaming pact with another carrier after a certain point.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score

If the merger is denied in 5 years Sprint will cover less than 70% of the population anyway. They will cut jobs and they will raise prices. All reasons why the anti-merger people are against the merger. Name:  emoji848.png
Views: 273
Size:  1.4 KB

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    If the merger is denied in 5 years Sprint will cover less than 70% of the population anyway. They will cut jobs and they will raise prices. All reasons why the anti-merger people are against the merger. Name:  emoji848.png
Views: 273
Size:  1.4 KB
    They'll auction off a lot of band 41 right away most likely also to pay down debt then Son will give the company to bean counters for a few years/months to cut costs to the bone before finally selling off the carcass.

The anti-merger people must believe Sprint can continue to spend unabated absent profits forever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    They'll auction off a lot of band 41 right away most likely also to pay down debt then Son will give the company to bean counters for a few years/months to cut costs to the bone before finally selling off the carcass.

The anti-merger people must believe Sprint can continue to spend unabated absent profits forever.
    Anti merger crowd is under the impression that Son will keep pumping money into a hugely unprofitable company that is Sprint. It just baffles that people have such attitude. While ignoring the fact that Softbank itself is in deep dept.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Dish does have low and midband nationwide; they've got a 10mhz channel of 600mhz nationwide, a 6mhz chunk of 700mhz (downlink only) almost nationwide (nationwide except bit of the northeast and california), they'd have 14mhz of 800mhz from Sprint. Midband they've got some AWS-4 nationwide, and AWS-3 almost nationwide. There's nothing license-wise limiting them to 70% POP coverage, it's just a matter of how much they're willing to spend on expansion.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro 256 GB Midnight Green
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Do people really think the US government would let Sprint rot away with 55M subscribers? Curious as to how the next election might affect this merger if it isn’t cleared by then.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Chicago, IL
    2+46+46+46+4