Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rebel 4 no longer works with Walmart's WiFi

Feedback Score
    Maybe the network name is too long.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilya980 View Post
    (Again, I have hard time imagining how new equipment could be incompatible.
    If 2.4 GHz interface on new Walmart equipment is buggy, why wouldn't it affect other phones? Likewise, if selected group of phones has buggy implementation, why are we seeing these problems only at Walmart and only after they upgraded the equipment?
    Because hardware/software bugs are like that sometimes. Some corner case in the new hardware not playing nice with a particular chipset/driver combination.

I had a hard drive once that worked with most motherboards but a specific chipset @ 3.3V wouldn't. Worked fine with other 3.3V chipsets and all 5V chipsets. Even the bad one worked in 5V mode.

Even though I had used the drive for over a year with another board, the OE replaced it (and for many others) due to the incompatibility.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 10-21-2019 at 11:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Because hardware/software bugs are like that sometimes. Some cornercase in the new hardware not playingnnice with a particular chipset/driver combination.

I had a hard drive once that worked with most motherboards but a specific chip set @ 3.3V wouldn't. Worked fine with other 3.3V chipsets and all 5V chipsets. Even the badbone worked in 5V mode.

Even though I had used the drive for over a year with another board, the OE replaced it (and a bunch more) due to the incompatibility.
    Trying to decipher the typos in your posts is an adventure but I can generally figure out what you meant to type. But "cornercase" has me baffled.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    Trying to decipher the typos in your posts is an adventure but I can generally figure out what you meant to type. But "cornercase" has me baffled.
    Corner case.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_case

Or maybe just an edge case.

May have missused it, but it's the phrase we used to describe a problem when parameters are all in range but a certain combination misbehaves (not just at extremes)

I tested SRAM chips and we did specific tests (schmoo tests) to check for such issues.

Sometimes I'm in a hurry and fat finger the keyboard on the phone. I often go back and correct mistakes wondering how I missed them before.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 10-22-2019 at 12:23 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hey I have a Fiesta 2 and I've not been able to connect to WalMart wi fi the past couple times, I think Sam's Club too, whereas I had before.

I'll be heading to WM later today I'll try again, but usually I just turn on my data then.

Feedback Score
    So just got back from WM...they have a 2.4 connection but my phone wouldn't connect. No clue if its changed? I used to be able to connect with my fiesta 2.

I took a screenshot but can't figure out how to include in post?? I've done it b4. Oh well got stuff to do, later😊.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTechie View Post
    So just got back from WM...they have a 2.4 connection but my phone wouldn't connect. No clue if its changed? I used to be able to connect with my fiesta 2. I took a screenshot but can't figure out how to include in post?? I've done it b4. Oh well got stuff to do, later😊.
    did you try forgetting the old wifi connection and try connecting to a new connection ??

Feedback Score
    No October I didn't. Thanx for the suggestion, I'll try that next trip👍.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    did you try forgetting the old wifi connection and try connecting to a new connection ??
    I tried it and it did not work for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilya980 View Post
    I tried it and it did not work for me.
    does the phone have some sort of WIFI assist app installed ?? here's the PDF guide - https://www.mylgphones.com/wp-conten...1.0_180627.pdf are you using a VPN ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does the phone have some sort of WIFI assist app installed ?? here's the PDF guide - https://www.mylgphones.com/wp-conten...1.0_180627.pdf are you using a VPN ??
    No wifi assist app and no vpn. Never had either on this phone. Also my phone is ZTE, not LG, though it looks like several LG models are affected. VPN would not work in this case too because the phone does not connect to the access point.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Ok just a follow up, looks like the party is over. I spoke to the associate in the electronics department, he said the 2.4 is (getting) obsolete that's why they disabled it. I also fooled around with a couple of display models, and it's disabled there too. The 5 band holds more data, is less crowded. Obviously not an official Walmart spokesman, so whatever. Also as noted by another poster, they disabled it at Shaws's (a supermarket chain). I believe KFC also did away with it. Oh well, good excuse for a new phone I guess.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post
    spoke to the associate in the electronics department, he said the 2.4 is (getting) obsolete that's why they disabled it.
    He has NO idea what he's talking about; the 2.4GHz bands are going nowhere. 802.11b may be getting obsoleted, but that's an old modulation scheme that's got little to do with the band it's on.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok just a follow up, looks like the party is over. I spoke to the associate in the electronics department, he said the 2.4 is (getting) obsolete that's why they disabled it. I also fooled around with a couple of display models, and it's disabled there too. The 5 band holds more data, is less crowded. Obviously not an official Walmart spokesman, so whatever. Also as noted by another poster, they disabled it at Shaws's (a supermarket chain). I believe KFC also did away with it. Oh well, good excuse for a new phone I guess.
    Sounds like there was a miscommunication somewhere.

5GHz is better in ways for devices that can stay in one place or short range usage, but roaming on 5GHz is really iffy unless the APs are close enough. 2.4GHz still has better range, roaming, and device compatibility. I use 2.4GHz with devices that I go outside with and 5GHz with my TV and streaming devices.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I can't speak to your specific or most other locations, but that's NOT true for all locations, as I noted above regarding my test using my old LG Phoenix 2 with only 2.4GHz WiFi.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast