Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pageplus message "your network is changing...buy a new phone"

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    You can do it online, but if you have a balance that you want to keep, you might want to use their online chat system. It is so you can be sure you have proof of your balance before the switch. If you are not worried about the balance, you can make the switch with the phone or web interface once you log into your account.
    I have a fairly significant balance, as I'm not a big user and keep having to add $10. But I would think they'd have a history of your balance if anything is lost.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    I have a fairly significant balance, as I'm not a big user and keep having to add $10. But I would think they'd have a history of your balance if anything is lost.
    I have seen people with good size balances with Tracfone which is PagePlus's parent company lose their balances from time to time unless they used the online chat. That is why I said to use the online chat system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    Does the changeover from a CDMA phone require a call to PagePlus? I assumed the process was relatively simple and could be done online, but hadn't looked into it yet.
    From my experience with Page Plus (and that of others on another thread who initially had great difficulty changing devices at parent company Tracphone), it's almost mandatory now that you do this through a live rep, preferably on the phone. This is the case, especially given the tricky nature of changing devices (and therefore accounts) from CDMA/3G to 4G/VoLTE. I give them credit for usually taking calls without delay and I seldom have to wait to speak to them. But you may have to insist on a supervisor if the first rep says, perhaps mistakenly, that your new phone is listed as incompatible, or fails to transfer your balance in full, as I experienced myself earlier this week.

The rep I dealt with mentioned that even though SIM cards are now used (in fact, required) for the new service, changing your device now - and in the future - will need live customer service. He says you won't be able to just swap SIM cards from one phone to the other as users of GSM phones were able to do from the beginning. Even with SIM-based phones, you now need to tell Page Plus the IMEI as well as the SIM number, go through a reboot procedure, and test by both getting a text from them and placing a test call. That all has to be done in sync with the rep closing and reopening your account. I doubt this can reliably be done any longer without calling them, not even by the chat method. Yes, it may seem from their website instructions that the old ways will still work, but I would attribute that to PP's habitual delay in updating a lot of old information. I already found several errors in their FAQ, which should have been revised a long time ago in order to not inadvertently mislead current customers or potential new ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevi View Post
    From my experience with Page Plus (and that of others on another thread who initially had great difficulty changing devices at parent company Tracphone), it's almost mandatory now that you do this through a live rep, preferably on the phone. This is the case, especially given the tricky nature of changing devices (and therefore accounts) from CDMA/3G to 4G/VoLTE. I give them credit for usually taking calls without delay and I seldom have to wait to speak to them. But you may have to insist on a supervisor if the first rep says, perhaps mistakenly, that your new phone is listed as incompatible, or fails to transfer your balance in full, as I experienced myself earlier this week.

The rep I dealt with mentioned that even though SIM cards are now used (in fact, required) for the new service, changing your device now - and in the future - will need live customer service. He says you won't be able to just swap SIM cards from one phone to the other as users of GSM phones were able to do from the beginning. Even with SIM-based phones, you now need to tell Page Plus the IMEI as well as the SIM number, go through a reboot procedure, and test by both getting a text from them and placing a test call. That all has to be done in sync with the rep closing and reopening your account. I doubt this can reliably be done any longer without calling them, not even by the chat method. Yes, it may seem from their website instructions that the old ways will still work, but I would attribute that to PP's habitual delay in updating a lot of old information. I already found several errors in their FAQ, which should have been revised a long time ago in order to not inadvertently mislead current customers or potential new ones.
    What ever happened to the "remove SIM from first device, put into the second device, use the new device on cellular, and PPC will automatically find out and adjust your account information to your new IMEI device number"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    What ever happened to the "remove SIM from first device, put into the second device, use the new device on cellular, and PPC will automatically find out and adjust your account information to your new IMEI device number"?
    I've read that somewhere too. But, unfortunately, that's not what they say now if you ask them. I think you'll find the same if you call them. The current changes at the network level have proven difficult for PP and TFW and other MVNO's to keep up with (though they won't admit it). I suspect that's one of the reasons Verizon postponed the end of 3G CDMA from the original 12/31/19 date. The possible loss of your balance is an additional risk if you try to make the changes on your own and don't have a rep to address discrepancies on the spot.

Feedback Score
    ........it's almost mandatory now that you do this through a live rep, preferably on the phone. This is the case, especially given the tricky nature of changing devices (and therefore accounts) from CDMA/3G to 4G/VoLTE.
    Swapping from a 3G to a 4G/Volte phone or possibly even from a 4G/non-VoLTE to a 4G/VoLTE is the issue the rep may have been addressing because of the nature of SIM provisioning and potential issues down the road.

The rep I dealt with mentioned that even though SIM cards are now used (in fact, required) for the new service, changing your device now - and in the future - will need live customer service. He says you won't be able to just swap SIM cards from one phone to the other as users of GSM phones were able to do from the beginning......
    I've read that somewhere too. But, unfortunately, that's not what they say now if you ask them. I think you'll find the same if you call them.
    I never go with what one rep says. And like I said, going from 3G to 4G/VoLTE is a totally different sim and animal. Before I did several sim swaps I was always told by no less then a half dozen reps that there was no need to contact them. Their system will auto update the imei/sim pairing. These were all between 4G/VoLTE phones. I later contacted them again several times to check if the imei/sim pairings after my swaps agreed with their system. They did.
    The auto re-pair could have been a hold over from before TF bought PP and now TF is getting things equal across their brands or Verizon got wind of it. Or maybe the re-pair is only in PP records and not in Vzw records.
    That was all my past experience; But, things change. If I get time I'll do several chats tomorrow and see what answers I get.

I've been told by reps that you MUST buy a BYOP sim from PP to activate your phone on PP. Or if not a BYOP, you MUST buy a PP phone from them to activate it on PP. Many of us know that you can pick up a TF/Vzw BYOP sim at your local store and activate it on PP. Or any Vzw TF sub-company phone and activate it on PP. We've done it. They will push their brand, it's brownie points for them.
    Last edited by rpz1; 02-03-2020 at 12:22 AM.

Feedback Score
    Only had time to do 3 quick chats; all in different categories of support. All said their system still does auto update imei/sim pairings. No need to contact them. Also not if it's between a 3G to 4G sim swap and of course the new phone must now be VoLTE. I'd guess swapping from a 4G non-VoLTE to a VoLTE could cause issues in provisioning and iPhone to an Android or visa versa could maybe be a can of worms too.

I'd recommend anyone wanting to swap do their own contact with them and get the answer.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5