Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pageplus message "your network is changing...buy a new phone"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb20014 View Post
    I ended up losing a $12 pin and a $10 pin because the middle of the screen went blank where the pin number was supposed to appear. Nothing ever appeared even after several minutes. Of course, customer service says those transactions are not in their system, and I didn't receive confirmation emails on any of them
    Good you're up and running. How did you buy the plans? If you do it on-line it doesn't give a pin, it just gets applied to the phone number you enter when buying. After it's applied it sends a text confirmation to the phone with a pin for reference. I've never received a confirming email. Unless activating and buying a plan at the same time online is different...I don't remember. I'm talking about just replenishments.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Good you're up and running. How did you buy the plans? If you do it on-line it doesn't give a pin, it just gets applied to the phone number you enter when buying. After it's applied it sends a text confirmation to the phone with a pin for reference. I've never received a confirming email. Unless activating and buying a plan at the same time online is different...I don't remember. I'm talking about just replenishments.
    Are you talking about for Tracfone, or for Page Plus Cellular?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyb20014 View Post
    Thank you so much for your help. I did get the TF branded phone. I had problems activating it, but I figured it out. I was putting in the wrong number for the sim. As you can tell, I don't know much about these things, but for others that also have no clue, the sim is 20 numbers. Also, I did not use a PP sim, I used the one that was already in the phone, just as you said, and it worked.

I tried to activate it with a rep after unsuccessfully trying to do it on my own (because of inputting wrong sim #s). I had problems with that when I tried to keep the current PP number. The rep wanted info, such as a passcode, date I first activated it, etc. It was just easier to get a new number. Second problem I had was during my unsuccessful attempts at activating the phone. It happened when I tried to buy the Plan. I ended up losing a $12 pin and a $10 pin because the middle of the screen went blank where the pin number was supposed to appear. Nothing ever appeared even after several minutes. Of course, customer service says those transactions are not in their system, and I didn't receive confirmation emails on any of them, but my bank sure shows them. I will be contesting those extra charges with the bank.

Now my 76 year young mom can still have a phone she'll be comfortable using. Even better is that it has bigger buttons. Thanks again.
    Too risky for some. That is why Page Plus Cellular, operating in some local retail shops, seems like a good reason to and way to get activation through Page Plus Cellular.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Are you talking about for Tracfone, or for Page Plus Cellular?
    Page Plus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    Too risky for some. That is why Page Plus Cellular, operating in some local retail shops, seems like a good reason to and way to get activation through Page Plus Cellular.
    I've been with PP many many years. Many many phones. Done everything online. Never a hitch.
    Don't know what screen or process @tonyb20014 did concerning the pin application. As far the initial sim# mess up that can happen no matter who you go with. Same mistakes could be made with any company, not unique to PP.
    Nothing wrong with going to a retail shop for some ones comfort level, but it's not only a PP thing.

Feedback Score
    Do we have any favorite recommended PP phones right now? Ones that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum ($200 or less)? Looks like I'm going to need to replace the Droid 3 (man I am going to miss that physical QWERTY keyboard) and I have no desire to spend a ton of money on a phone. But I also know in the past I've tended to see some pretty bad reviews of the refurbs PP sells (hence why my current phone is a Droid 3 and not something I bought through the PP website). I know I'm not going to get a great phone in the range of what I want to spend, but the best of the worst is what I'm after, preferably that isn't going to break five minutes after I buy it. (I was hoping to be able to transfer over my mom's T-Mobile phone, as she got it only a few months before she died-- previous one stolen, lowlifes-- but when I asked PP, they said no go; I had suspected as much but it was worth asking.)

Going to be reading around the forum as well, but figured I might also start by asking if anyone had any recs. (Not looking for a flip/dumb phone. But I don't plan on downloading a bunch of apps, streaming video very often if at all, playing games, downloading files or music, etc. so it doesn't need to be super-high-powered. Just reliable. I tend to keep phones for a lot of years and don't feel the need to have the latest tech, so it will need to last me. For this reason I'd prefer not an iPhone, ever since the "planned obsolescence" scandal came out, and also prefer Android features, but I'd maybe consider iPhone for the right good reasons...)

Thanks!
    Last edited by K12144; 01-12-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
    Do we have any favorite recommended PP phones right now? Ones that are on the cheaper end of the spectrum ($200 or less)? Looks like I'm going to need to replace the Droid 3 (man I am going to miss that physical QWERTY keyboard) and I have no desire to spend a ton of money on a phone. But I also know in the past I've tended to see some pretty bad reviews of the refurbs PP sells (hence why my current phone is a Droid 3 and not something I bought through the PP website). I know I'm not going to get a great phone in the range of what I want to spend, but the best of the worst is what I'm after, preferably that isn't going to break five minutes after I buy it. (I was hoping to be able to transfer over my mom's T-Mobile phone, as she got it only a few months before she died-- previous one stolen, lowlifes-- but when I asked PP, they said no go; I had suspected as much but it was worth asking.)

Going to be reading around the forum as well, but figured I might also start by asking if anyone had any recs. (Not looking for a flip/dumb phone. But I don't plan on downloading a bunch of apps, streaming video very often if at all, playing games, downloading files or music, etc. so it doesn't need to be super-high-powered. Just reliable. I tend to keep phones for a lot of years and don't feel the need to have the latest tech, so it will need to last me. For this reason I'd prefer not an iPhone, ever since the "planned obsolescence" scandal came out, and also prefer Android features, but I'd maybe consider iPhone for the right good reasons...)

Thanks!
    I would say the Galaxy J7 Crown S767VL, Galaxy A10e, or even the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx if you are looking at the branded phones. I have each one here on Straight Talk tho.

You can use lots of the other Tracfone branded phones on PagePlus as long as you get a Verizon model. They are easily used switch as long as you activate it like it was a PagePlus phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I would say the Galaxy J7 Crown S767VL, Galaxy A10e, or even the Moto G7 Optimo Maxx if you are looking at the branded phones. I have each one here on Straight Talk tho.

You can use lots of the other Tracfone branded phones on PagePlus as long as you get a Verizon model. They are easily used switch as long as you activate it like it was a PagePlus phone.
    Thanks-- the Crown and A10e were two of the ones I was kind of considering. I'll look into the Moto. I assume PP/TF/Straight Talk will have mostly the same phones, but possibly different deals? (I wouldn't be against buying one from a PP store rather than directly from PP website as well; that's what I did with the Droid 3.)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
    Thanks-- the Crown and A10e were two of the ones I was kind of considering. I'll look into the Moto. I assume PP/TF/Straight Talk will have mostly the same phones, but possibly different deals? (I wouldn't be against buying one from a PP store rather than directly from PP website as well; that's what I did with the Droid 3.)
    Yea, you are right on the price. It is just like some Walmarts has clearance phones at times. That is how I got my G7 Optimo Maxx for $45. It was a Total Wireless phone, but I was able to activate it on Straight Talk with no issue.

Feedback Score
    You can buy any used phone online to use on Page Plus if it was a Verizon phone (and was not originally sold for their pre-paid service, but rather was one of their regular contract phones). Checking the IMEI is the way to know for sure, and that can be done through Page Plus's own online page for checking, which is below. (It goes on to then offer you to activate new service on the spot, but you can naturally close the page at that point.)

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/act...new-activation

If seeking one from eBay to save money, a phone's IMEI is not routinely shown in the listings, as some sellers are afraid to give it out publicly. But I have contacted sellers of phones that I was interested in bidding on and it was often sent on request so I could check it. Of course, buying though an auction requires the usual precautions about being sure that it's in fully working condition. Also, the battery capacity should not be too far below 100% in the case of iPhones and the more recent Androids, which all have non-removable batteries and high battery replacement service costs. But in the case of earlier Androids, where the batteries are both user-removable and less expensive to buy (online), the condition of the existing battery is somewhat less of a concern.

There are very few NON-smart phones with the VoLTE compatibility that Page Plus (and all Verizon MVNO's) will require later this year. The few flip models that you can find are all pretty bad in different ways. But one of the smallest smartphones, Apple's iPhone Se (for "special edition") makes a great replacement in my opinion. The whole thing fits easily into almost any pocket. It was the first they made that was VoLTE compatible and it also still has the "Home" button that users of newer iPhones wish theirs had. Though the SE model was released in 2016, I have been able to update mine to every new iOS operating system that Apple has released so far. I was reluctant to get one at first because of Apple's legendary restrictive policies and also the fact that all smartphones present complications. But most features are optional so you can avoid all the downsides of having "apps" by simply choosing to download few (if any) of them and turning off any functions you don't need. Used iPhone SE's on eBay that are working and in good or decent cosmetic condition sell for between $40 and $100, depending on the attractiveness of the seller's pitch and the level of competition from other bidders at the time.

Service-wise, light cellular users like the elderly, can save a lot by going with Page Plus's old "Standard Pay As You Go" Plan instead of any monthly plan. Provided they need only a few hundred talk minutes a year, some occasional texts, and virtually no Internet data usage, the cost is only $30 for the ENTIRE year, i.e., by paying the minimum $10 once every 120 days. Your unused balance rolls over to the next 120 day period as long as you "refill" with the minimum $10 as usual. Of course, if their usage will not be quite that light, a little more can be paid at anytime to increase the balance as needed. Even then, the cost will still be unlikely to reach that of any monthly plan, not even the one PP offers for $12/mo (which has its own limitations anyway).

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Looks like I'll need to get a new phone this year, too. Will probably pick up the $100 deal on the Moto G6.

Question: Can that phone be used with any carrier?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    Looks like I'll need to get a new phone this year, too. Will probably pick up the $100 deal on the Moto G6.

Question: Can that phone be used with any carrier?
    The generic Moto G6 can be used on any carrier. Models sold by carriers, carrier prepaid, and MVNOs may not be. Ones sold by the Tracfone family of MVNOs are likely locked to the Tracfone family of MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    I have had Page Plus "Pay-As-You-Go" service for 13 years now. It was successfully transferred from my old 3G LG phone to my VoLTE capable iPhone SE two days ago. I did it in a call to a rep, after installing a new SIM they recently sent me. But later that night, I checked my balance, which had recently topped $190 due to many years of carryover. I was shocked now to see that it had suddenly shrunk to $82!

So, the next morning, I reached a customer service supervisor and he fixed this discrepancy within about 3 minutes while I was on the line. He then explained that any change of device requires the account to be closed and reopened by them. Accordingly, any balance then has to be restored manually by the rep in a few incremental steps. The previous day's rep must have made an error in re-building my balance from zero and stopped short of the right amount. The point, anyway, is that merely changing your device, even without the complicating introduction of VoLTE, requires more "resetting" of an account than we (and some reps) are aware of.

Device(s)
    Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Does the changeover from a CDMA phone require a call to PagePlus? I assumed the process was relatively simple and could be done online, but hadn't looked into it yet.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EliZ View Post
    Does the changeover from a CDMA phone require a call to PagePlus? I assumed the process was relatively simple and could be done online, but hadn't looked into it yet.
    You can do it online, but if you have a balance that you want to keep, you might want to use their online chat system. It is so you can be sure you have proof of your balance before the switch. If you are not worried about the balance, you can make the switch with the phone or web interface once you log into your account.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast