Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pageplus message "your network is changing...buy a new phone"

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth I sent an email to Tracfone Corp. imploring them to publish exact information with dates on all their brands web sites and also include in any text or emails they send out to those with current active accounts. My emphasis is still the many people I encounter that still Know nothing about this and what to do. Recent PP texts, emails and links provide nothing. Elderly people relying on their 3G flip as a life line don't all have someone looking out for them. Even my sister in law that has been on Verizon everything for decades and my father in law on Verizon Prepaid autopay 3G flip knew absolutely nothing about it. Elderly don't use text to get a message.Verizon's notices are on some link on their website that most customers would never come across, especially those on autopay. And Verizon Tracfone/MVNOs don't even have that.
    Anyway, for what it's worth. I'm already set but that's only because I once came to HOFO on another issue and stumbled on the whole VoLTE/ no cdma change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I know there are some phone that have VoLTE, but they do not support Verizon's VoLTE system tho.

Look at the Galaxy S4. I think the T-Mobile version of the S4 does support VoLTE on T-Mobile, but I know the Verizon version of the S4 does not support VoLTE at all. The Verizon version of the S4 has LTE and a SIM card, but can't be reactivated because it has no VoLTE. I have tried it with my Verizon S4 on Verizon based Straight Talk already.
    The problem is with Verizon branded phones that are VoLTE capable but have Advanced Calling 1.0. The Galaxy S5 was, but only works with VoLTE if on Verizon service. Some phones were later upgraded to 2.0, but many were not. These will not run on VoLTE on the MVNOS. There are other phone models with this situation as well. Can't be changed. The Galaxy S4 was not capable AFAIK

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The problem is with Verizon branded phones that are VoLTE capable but have Advanced Calling 1.0. The Galaxy S5 was, but only works with VoLTE if on Verizon service. Some phones were later upgraded to 2.0, but many were not. These will not run on VoLTE on the MVNOS. There are other phone models with this situation as well. Can't be changed. The Galaxy S4 was not capable AFAIK
    Yea, but if you read the previous posts, someone made it sounds like if it is a LTE phone, you was fine type thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    For what it's worth I sent an email to Tracfone Corp. imploring them to publish exact information with dates on all their brands web sites and also include in any text or emails they send out to those with current active accounts.
    Again, for what it's worth. Here's the reply to my email I received so far. I replied back that the issue applies to all Tracfone companies, not just Page Plus. As I also did in my original email to Tracfone. And that I await the follow up on the escalation to the higher office. Note the "we cannot verify yet the exact date". So again, stay tuned.

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your interest in Page Plus Cellular. We are responding to
    your recent inquiry.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any
    inconvenience you may have experienced with this issue.

We have read your message today, October 15, 2019, 5:20 PM EST. We were
    unable to call you back since there was no contact number available.

This is regarding your concern about the network migration.
    We want to let you know that we understand your place in this kind of
    situation, and we truly appreciate your effort for bringing this
    information to our attention. However, we cannot verify yet the exact
    date when those affected phones will no longer work. In regards to this,
    we already sent an escalation to our higher office for further
    information about your inquiry. Thus, allow us 24-48 hours to receive a
    feedback.

In addition, we will assure you that we are continuously working in
    improving our products and services to provide you the best service
    possible.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us via
    chat or by calling one of our customer care representatives at
    1-800-550-2436. For your convenience, our representatives are available
    Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Page Plus Cellular. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Executive Resolution Department

Feedback Score
    Again, for what it's worth. Here's the reply to my email I received so far. I replied back that the issue applies to all Tracfone companies, not just Page Plus. As I also did in my original email to Tracfone. And that I await the follow up on the escalation to the higher office. Note the "we cannot verify yet the exact date". So again, stay tuned.
    They may not know the exact date of the CDMA shutdown if Verizon has not clearly stated it to the MVNOs. It's safer to assume the earlier June 2020 date.

As far as a master list of affected phones, there has to be one in order for the Tracfone companies to send out notices. They should just publish it. With BYOP you are on your own.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    @rpz1 That's a whole lot of words to say very little! Typical [tracfone] response.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    @rpz1 That's a whole lot of words to say very little! Typical [tracfone] response.
    A shame to run a company that way. Reads like even their senior management and executive resolution center is off shore too. And the comment to contact their customer care representatives shows they must be clueless on how deficient that area is.

Feedback Score
    Here is a link to a list of some compatible phones I found doing a Yahoo search. It is a little outdated, but least lets me know that my iPhone 7 is good for now. I will need to start looking for a different phone for my mom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/com...atible_phones/

Feedback Score
    For your reading enjoyment here's the latest from Tracfone/PagePlus I received today:

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your interest in Page Plus Cellular. We are responding to
    your recent inquiry.

We have received a response today, October 22, 2019, 10:48 AM EST. This
    is about your inquiry about our network change and the escalation that we have forwarded
    about the exact date when will be the 3G phones will not work. .

Please be informed that our Brand Manager for Page Plus informed us that
    the deadline will be on December of year 2020. However, we encourage our
    customers to purchase their devices now instead of waiting until the deadline.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact us via
    chat or by calling one of our customer care representatives at
    1-800-550-2436 extension 2722. For your convenience, our representatives
    are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Page Plus Cellular customer. We appreciate your business.

Sincerely,

Executive Resolution Department
    Page Plus Cellular

Feedback Score
    Please be informed that our Brand Manager for Page Plus informed us that
    the deadline will be on December of year 2020. However, we encourage our
    customers to purchase their devices now instead of waiting until the deadline.
    It's likely that the June 2020 date was more rumor than truth. December 2020 is in line with what Verizon last stated. So why can't the Tracfone companies put out a bulletin themselves? Contacting users with vulnerable phones has been spotty at best, especially PPS with so many BYOP phones.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    It's likely that the June 2020 date was more rumor than truth. December 2020 is in line with what Verizon last stated. So why can't the Tracfone companies put out a bulletin themselves? Contacting users with vulnerable phones has been spotty at best, especially PPS with so many BYOP phones.
    I will have to agree with contacting users has been spotty. I just found out about a month ago that I have a friend that still have CDMA based phone, but she has not got a notification yet on this. She even does not believe that CDMA is getting shut down. So it is hard to explain that older tech is getting discontinued to someone that does not believe it.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    I will have to agree with contacting users has been spotty. I just found out about a month ago that I have a friend that still have CDMA based phone, but she has not got a notification yet on this. She even does not believe that CDMA is getting shut down. So it is hard to explain that older tech is getting discontinued to someone that does not believe it.
    Well, the good news is, as long as her old phone doesn't break until then, your friend can keep using it until 12/31/20, or 14+ more months.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Well, the good news is, as long as her old phone doesn't break until then, your friend can keep using it until 12/31/20, or 14+ more months.
    Lots of reports that CDMA is being slowly choked off, so many users will see diminished coverage before the final end. There are lots of inexpensive VoLTE phones available, so little excuse to not upgrade.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Lots of reports that CDMA is being slowly choked off, so many users will see diminished coverage before the final end. There are lots of inexpensive VoLTE phones available, so little excuse to not upgrade.
    That's true.

One option is to find a TF MyFlip, which is VoLTE compatible and can be activated on any America Movil Vzw MVNO, such as PPC. The regular price was around $19.99, but some stores have been clearing it out for $9.99. Vzw VoLTE compatible TF smartphones, most of which can also be used on PPC, can be had for not much more.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    That's true.

One option is to find a TF MyFlip, which is VoLTE compatible and can be activated on any America Movil Vzw MVNO, such as PPC. The regular price was around $19.99, but some stores have been clearing it out for $9.99. Vzw VoLTE compatible TF smartphones, most of which can also be used on PPC, can be had for not much more.
    Yea, I have picked up two MyFlip's from a Walmart Neighborhood Market that had them on clearance for $3 each. I have them ready just in case for people that need them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast