Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Data service disruptions on Verizon MVNO(s)?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I never got around to trying boom!, and it was never the right fit for others that I help with their cellular service.

These stories are making me glad I never did.

Based on a number of reports on HoFo, I have no doubt that boom! CS is good, but the point is, the issues described in this thread should have never happened, and CS should have never been involved, if the boom! system was working properly.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    It's happened to me on Red Pocket and page plus. On page plus, there was always this dead period of about 3 hours from 1am-4am on your renew day where you might not have service. That would be inconvenient if it fell on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Even worse if you had to contact tech support with no phone or internet service.

They may have gotten better though over the years. By now, they should have programed an automated system. But who knows, it might still be just monkeys in the boiler room.
    That issue on PPC was resolved several years ago, not too long after PPC was purchased by America Movil/Tracfone.

I used Red Pocket for just over 1 year, and I never experienced an issue. However, you're not the only one that had RP reset issues, although I think it's been quite a while since I saw the last report of that problem on RP.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    While on Boom! , a line ran out of data a few times, so data stopped working. I had to purchase a data add-on to restore it.
    I suspect that’s what happened the OP situation. Otherwise data always worked fine on Boom Mobile via Verizon - at least in our area of SW Missouri.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    While on Boom! , a line ran out of data a few times, so data stopped working. I had to purchase a data add-on to restore it.
    I suspect that’s what happened the OP situation. Otherwise data always worked fine on Boom Mobile via Verizon - at least in our area of SW Missouri.
    I can confirm with 100% certainty that running out of data was not the problem. The first thing I do in this situation is check the Boom! Monitor page and in every one of these cases plenty of data remained.

Also, running out of data was not the issue when I had minutes earlier purchased a top-up, having not run out of my monthly pool yet. I had ample data left, augmented by the newly purchased top-up.

On my "heavy data user" line we have run out of data and yes, they will predictably shut it off. That's not what happened here, though.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Guy View Post
    I can confirm with 100% certainty that running out of data was not the problem. The first thing I do in this situation is check the Boom! Monitor page and in every one of these cases plenty of data remained.

Also, running out of data was not the issue when I had minutes earlier purchased a top-up, having not run out of my monthly pool yet. I had ample data left, augmented by the newly purchased top-up.

On my "heavy data user" line we have run out of data and yes, they will predictably shut it off. That's not what happened here, though.
    Have you decided what you're going to do? It looks like the TW 3 line shared plan will give a significantly larger amount of LTE data for only ~$7-$8/mo more than your current plans. However, one issue might be keeping the heavy data user from blowing through all 60GB of shared LTE on their own. But with 60GB shared, vs the 9GB (2+2+5) total on your current plans, perhaps it won't be an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have you decided what you're going to do? It looks like the TW 3 line shared plan will give a significantly larger amount of LTE data for only ~$7-$8/mo more than your current plans. However, one issue might be keeping the heavy data user from blowing through all 60GB of shared LTE on their own. But with 60GB shared, vs the 9GB (2+2+5) total on your current plans, perhaps it won't be an issue.
    Hey Boz,

Right now I'm leaning toward initially putting two of the lines on TW with the 30 GB plan, as that seems like a great deal. Our "heavy" data user isn't really all that heavy in the grand scheme. After the data ran out once on that line, resulting in a hard stop, the 5 GB hasn't been exceeded yet. (I know, I know, I'm sure I have no idea what "heavy" use really means! My coworkers tell me horror stories of their family data usage.)

Since I already ordered a Fi SIM, I'm willing to experiment with my own line for a bit and see how it goes. (I sure hope porting is smooth, though) If it ends up being a giant headache then I'll just merge everything onto a TW 3-line plan as you've suggested. I'm keeping my expectations low on Fi, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. On paper it looks great (albeit complex to implement) but I really have no idea what to expect. If I'm making a grave mistake, dissuade me!

My gut tells me that long term I'll probably just end up putting my line on the TW family plan. 60 GB seems like an ample amount of data given our current usage.

Thanks again for your input.

(P.S. If my Boom! experience is not typical then don't let me dissuade others from joining them. Just because I had data hiccups doesn't mean others necessarily will. I can only attest to what I've observed on our lines.)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    No, I think your plan to try Fi is just fine, especially since you use your line in Canada and internationally.

Is the phone you have Fi compatible, so it will use the Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular networks on Fi, or is it only going to be using the T-Mobile part of the Fi network?

Besides domestic coverage, another concern is the cost. If you use up to the 2 GB/mo you have on your boom! plan, I think the Fi cost will be $40/mo.

But if you keep the usage at that level, and if domestic coverage is sufficient, it could very well be worth that cost for the international capabilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post

Is the phone you have Fi compatible, so it will use the Sprint, T-Mobile, and US Cellular networks on Fi, or is it only going to be using the T-Mobile part of the Fi network?
    Eeew, the fine print. I'm so glad you mentioned this because I just looked again, this time more closely. I have an unlocked iPhone 8 and it looks like I can't hop carriers, which was the feature I was most excited about. I'll be stuck on T-Mobile. That's really disappointing.

Never mind, this would be a bad idea given how hit or miss T-Mobile's reception is in my corner of NH.

Looks like we will have TW on all 3 lines in the near future.

Wow, how did I miss that detail.

Device(s)
    All of them
    Carrier(s)
    BOOM! Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Guy View Post
    Hi folks,

I am a freshly minted n00b! Please go easy on me if I break protocol somehow.
    I've been itching to ask this question and so I finally joined HoFo after many years of reading posts here.

I'm on my third Verizon MVNO over the past few years, Kitty Wireless -> Puppy Wireless -> Boom.
    I've been on Boom for probably almost a year now?

In the last few months or so all three of our lines on Boom have experienced one or more data disruptions such that the only way to resolve the problem has been to get online with customer support and have them "refresh" our accounts. We then power off for a few minutes so things re-provision. It's happening enough that it's becoming a real hassle and I'm thinking of seeing what else is out there. (FYI I love everything else about Boom except these disruptions)

My question is, is this a trend among all Verizon MVNOs? Is it regional? (I'm in southern NH and frequent a Boston suburb for work) Or is it something isolated to Boom? Are you all seeing this occur on your VZW MVNOs?

Thank you,

Jim
    I work for boom! Would you mind PMing me your phone number(s). I would love to
    Investigate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome rate plans @ www.boom.us
    To request support please visit support.boom.us and open a ticket.

Feedback Score
    Hi Charles, thanks for offering to help - I just sent you a PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2