Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Page Plus Cellular customer with a warning if you buy a phone from Page Plus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelf View Post
    Since by all appearances my phone works fine I am inclined to keep it and save $100.
    I would continue with the SIM swap band-aid for now, but continue to fight! BBB complaints have been effective with Tracfone. After they get the complaint, they have special people that will try to resolve the issue. These people are at the Tracfone Wireless corporate headquarters in Miami.

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started

Feedback Score
    >I would continue with the SIM swap band-aid for now, but continue to fight! BBB complaints have been effective with Tracfone.

The simplest and most effective way to "fight" would be just to get a refund. Unfortunately, OP is against that because of his misguided desire to avoid paying tax. If he wanted to save money, he should've bought a cheaper phone. Instead, he chose to keep a $1K lemon.

It's not just a VZW problem. It could very well be an AT&T and T-Mobile problem if the phone IMEI isn't recognized by those carriers. It means no VoLTE or wifi-calling, or any support from providers based on those carrier networks. It'll be the OP's PP experience redux.

http://google.com/search?&q=at%26t+esn+check

http://google.com/search?&q=t-mobile+esn+check

NB: Even if the phone is authorized, with a valid warranty, any replacement from Apple would be a refurb model, denoted with an 'N' prefix in its model number, as opposed to an 'M' for new models.

PS: Suggest triple-checking your entered IMEI for typos, eg O (capital o) for 0 (zero).

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s, Samsumg Galaxy S6 Edge+
    Feedback Score
    Just did chat with PP.

Me: I have an iPhone 7 on page plus. I bought an unlocked iPhone 11 Pro. I took the PP sim card out of my iPhone 7 and put it into my iPhone 11 Pro. My new phone works fine! Do I need to do anything else to 'activate' my new phone?

PP: No. If the phone is working fine, you do not need to do anything else.

Me: Will my wife be able to activate my old iPhone 7 on a different carrier?

PP: In this case, she will need to check with the new carrier if the device is compatible with them or not.

Assuming the PP rep is giving me correct info, this should settle the matter. I have a legit working phone.
    The settings shows that the phone has VoLTE and all the other expected bells and whistles.

Perhaps the technology today is such that you can take a working (i.e. activated) sim, put it into any compatible phone and it all works.

Out of curiosity I am going to stop at the local Verizon store today and ask them to enter the IMEI into their system and tell me what they see.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    This page says that if both phones are unlocked then you can take the sim from phone A, put it in phone B and just like magic, phone B will work.
    https://www.justaskgemalto.com/us/ca...sim-new-phone/

Both my iPhone 7 and iPhone 11 Pro are unlocked.

Feedback Score
    I've mentioned many times in threads that PP has always told me Sim swapping to move a phone number & balance to a new phone is what to do with them. You do not need to contact them. Their system auto updates the IMEI/SIM pairing in their system. Your old phone is free to move or sell, no longer tied to an active sim. Apparently PP is the only Movil company doing this since it keeps being mentioned in the TF forum that your sim will always be tied to the phone you activated it with, so u can't sell or move Ur old phone. I've double checked with PP that on all the swaps I've done that they're showing the current pairing. All good.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    @rpz1 - Thanks for confirmation

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I know I already said it, but unless you find out something different from the Vzw store...

Return it and buy directly from Apple.

I would never accept a phone that was supposed to be compatible with Vzw, but really isn't, especially one that cost $999!

Feedback Score
    >Return it and buy directly from Apple.

I disagree. I think OP should keep his $1K lemon. You can't teach sense, and for some, the only way to learn is through the school of hard knocks. $1K is a steep price to pay, but the lesson hopefully will have that much more impact.

Anyway, you learn to recognize the signs. OP is fully wrapped up in his rationalizations that SIM swaps are "perfectly fine," that his phone is "legit" and it's "working fine." Anything said otherwise is just spitting into the wind. OP will have to learn through his pocketbook.

I'm just hoping that he won't palm it off to some other equally ignorant schmuck down the road. But at least said schmuck will be able to get it for cheap, and not at list price.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Their system auto updates the IMEI/SIM pairing in their system. Your old phone is free to move or sell, no longer tied to an active sim.
    Can the current IMEI in the account be seen online without asking a PP CSR?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Can the current IMEI in the account be seen online without asking a PP CSR?
    On PP you could never see the imei, just the phone number. My confirmations of valid rematch was through chatting with them. I continue to double check anytime I chat with them to make sure they're still doing swaps that way and the auto re-pair is still their MO. Still their way to move phone number with balance, sim swap without needing to contact them. Hope they don't change that. Surprised TF doesn't have the same process.

Feedback Score
    Of course the PP sim swap ability has nothing to do with the OPs iPhone issue if wanting to activate on a new sim with a different carrier. That's still something the OP needs to address.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    I stopped by the local Verizon store. But all they could do was enter the IMEI into their system and report that my phone was not compatible with Verizon.

I also did chat again with PP. This time I got someone who knew the score. He explained that at some point Verizon will wise up and the phone will stop working.

Tommorrow I will email the support guy at https://www.pageplusphonestore.com (where I bought the phone) and send a copy of the relevant part of my chat session. I will also propose 2 solutions.

Option A. The IMEI is printed on the back of the box. Anyone can read it without opening the box. They can email me the IMEI of an identical phone and we both can check if that EMEI can be activated on PP. If so, we swap phones.

Option B. I send them the phone and they refund 100% of my purchase price.

Stay tuned.

Feedback Score
    Did the PP rep say what it was that Verizon would wise up about that would make it stop working ?

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, PP chat guy said Verizon would wise up.

Tommorrow a.m. I will post here my email to the seller.

Device(s)
    Feedback Score
    Here is the email I just sent Quality One Wireless.
    ==================

Hello Steve,

Please refer to our earlier email from October 3rd. I take back what I said about my phone working fine.

Quality One Wireless (Q1W) represented to me in its advertising that it would sell me a phone that could be activated on Page Plus Cellular (PP). Based on that representation, I purchased an iPhone 11 Pro for $999.

That Q1W representation was false. Instead of sending me a phone that could be properly activated on PP, Q1W sent me the exact opposite - a phone that *cannot* be properly activated on PP.

Yesterday I went to the local Verizon store. They checked the IMEI of my phone and said it was not compatible with their system.

Also yesterday I did chat again with PP. This time I got a rep that was much more knowledgeable. That person explained that my phone will stop working. Below is the relevant portion of that chat session.
    --------------------------------

Me : I am existing PP customer with iPhone 7. I bought an unlocked iPhone 11 Pro. I took the sim card from my iPhone 7 and put it into my iPhone 11 Pro. New phone works fine. The IMEI for my new phone is xxxxxxxxxx. Please put that IMEI into your system and let me know if everything looks OK at your end.

Jefferson : Actually, the IMEI was already updated.
    Jefferson : Since you are going to use the same SIM card, there is no need to update our system manually, since the phone number and the remaining balance are on the SIM card.
    Jefferson : The IMEI was updated automatically after you made the first call with the new phone.

Me : Good. It has all been a bit weird. A few days ago when I got the phone I talked to live PP rep and also did chat. Both times they entered the IMEI into your system and then said the phoen could not be activated.

Jefferson : I am sorry to hear that.
    Jefferson : Let me verify.
    Jefferson : Could you please provide me with your Page Plus four-digit pass code?

Me : XXXX

Jefferson : Thank you.
    Jefferson : I am afraid the phone is not eligible for activation. Due to its technology, it managed to connect to the Verizon network with the previously activated SIM card. The account updated the IMEI because you could make at least one call, however, it will be eventually deactivated by the carrier network. (emphasis added)

You : Your's is the best answer I have received. No one else could explain what was going on or the implications. I will return the phone. Thanks Jefferson.
    -------------------------------------

In order to cooperate toward a mutually agreeable outcome, I am proposing two options.

Option A. I return the phone to you and Q1W refunds my full purchase price ($999) and also reimburses my shipping cost.

Option B. I return the phone to you and Q1W sends me an iPhone 11 Pro 64GB silver that can be properly activated on PP.

I will only agree to option B if Q1W first emails me the IMEI before sending any new phone to me. The IMEI is printed on the back of the phone box. We both can do chat with PP and make sure that IMEI can be properly activated on PP. Also here is a Verizon website where the IMEI can be checked.
    https://www.verizonwireless.com/od/p.../#/checkDevice

Please let me know which option Q1W would prefer.

Joseph Elfelt
    Last edited by veriztd; 10-08-2019 at 10:19 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast