Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MNVO to accept Verizon S4?

Feedback Score
    Hi jenbaah, I have an old phone that I want to activate as an emergency phone, but I do not know how to activate it and get the "super cheap minutes/texts" you mentioned. Can you tell me how to do this?
    Never mind, I just learned in another thread that Expo Mobile (which has apparently been purchased by Selectel) no longer activated 3G Verizon-network phones. Instead you must have a phone that can accept a SIM card, but none of our old Verizon-network phones have this capability ...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Hi jenbaah,

I have an old phone that I want to activate as an emergency phone, and a couple years ago I confirmed that this phone was compatible with Expo Mobile, so it may still be compatible. But I do not know how to activate it and get the "super cheap minutes/texts" you mentioned.

Can you tell me how to do this?
    I would call Expo Mobile and ask them about their $10 plan. It's like 90 days, $10, 100 min and 100 text (or maybe its a combo of 100 min/texts). I recently went on their website and its not listed anymore. I don't know why they took down a bunch of options that they used to have and only have smartphone options. Their customer service number is on their website. The plan works great for us, for now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by owkaye View Post
    Never mind, I just learned in another thread that Expo Mobile (which has apparently been purchased by Selectel) no longer activated 3G Verizon-network phones. Instead you must have a phone that can accept a SIM card, but none of our old Verizon-network phones have this capability ...
    Good to know. thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    Why?!?
    You can walk into a Best Buy or Walmart and pick up a new AT&T Prepaid LG Phoenix 4 for $40, put a RedPocket GSMA SIM right in it and go. Cheaper phones, cheaper service.

Unless you're in an area with nothing but Verizon coverage... Then you'll need to drop $80 for an LG Rebel 3 from USMobile, but then you can activate it on any Verizon MVNO and it'll keep working for years.

Even if you manage to get an old phone activated, you'll see the coverage get worse and worse, quickly. Might as well activate an old Sprint phone...
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcxb View Post
    Unless you're in an area with nothing but Verizon coverage... Then you'll need to drop $80 for an LG Rebel 3 from USMobile, but then you can activate it on any Verizon MVNO and it'll keep working for years.
    LG Rebel 3 is not much of a phone, and $80 is way too much for it. $10 for a refurb on Tracfone. Rebel 4 is $50 and a refurb is $25. These will not activate outside of the Tracfone companies, but we were discussing a Page Plus possibility.

Feedback Score
    I agree $80 is not a good deal, but there really aren't any good deals out there for unlocked Verizon phones. I'd hate to be locked into Tracfone... Do they finally actually unlock all their phones when your 12 months is up, or do they still have excuses?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbaah View Post
    Thanks! I'll have to research a bit to see if any verizon mvno's will take it. And maybe i'll just keep the Cosmos going since CDMA will still work until the end of 2020. Thanks again!
    One word of warning, preparecompare.net is not always accurate. For example, they show a $10.63/month Verizon Plan on Redpocket with 1000 minutes, unlimited SMS, and 1GB of data (which I assume is supposed to be $127.50 for 360 days) but there is no such plan. They may be confusing the 180 day $127.50 plan with the plan they list.

Also odd that some lines in their charts show 1000MB and some show 1GB, not sure what the difference is there but maybe there is one.

Device(s)
    iPhones 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianAngela View Post
    One word of warning, preparecompare.net is not always accurate. For example, they show a $10.63/month Verizon Plan on Redpocket with 1000 minutes, unlimited SMS, and 1GB of data (which I assume is supposed to be $127.50 for 360 days) but there is no such plan. They may be confusing the 180 day $127.50 plan with the plan they list.

Also odd that some lines in their charts show 1000MB and some show 1GB, not sure what the difference is there but maybe there is one.
    1000 mb is equal to 1 gigabyte.
    It works like the metric system which is based on 10.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post

Not to split hairs but actually in the binary data world 1GB = 1024MB.

When I buy data on Straight Talk for example, I get 1024mb for every GB in my account. In the scheme of things pretty insignificant and 1000MB is the convention.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score

There are errors in Prepaid Compare. I try to avoid them, but when you manually enter 600+ plans and update them frequently, errors do creep in. Thanks for finding the mistake on the Red Pocket Amazon 1 GB 180 day plan which I had incorrectly coded as an annual plan with the wrong number of minutes. It's been corrected. If you find more errors please let me know so I can fix them.

In the most areas of computing, including networking, a GB is 1024 MB, so 1000 MB is not the same as 1 GB.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hamradio View Post

Data storage devices like disk drives and flash memory are measured in base 10 units. So 1 GB of flash memory is 1000 MB.

However other areas of computing, including mobile broadband, use binary arithmetic and define an MB as 1024 KB. Technically that should be called an MiB but it's conventional to use MB for both the 1024 and 1000 MB variants.

For the gory details of how we got to this confusing state of affairs see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    There are errors in Prepaid Compare. I try to avoid them, but when you manually enter 600+ plans and update them frequently, errors do creep in. Thanks for finding the mistake on the Red Pocket Amazon 1 GB 180 day plan which I had incorrectly coded as an annual plan with the wrong number of minutes. It's been corrected. If you find more errors please let me know so I can fix them.

In the most areas of computing, including networking, a GB is 1024 MB, so 1000 MB is not the same as 1 GB.
    I looked for "Contact" on prepaidcompare.net so I could send an e-mail regarding the Red Pocket/Amazon error, but I could not find any contact information. It's a very useful site, and very well done, but please add a way that people can contact you with errors or suggestions.

BTW, I don't see Verizon's Visible service show up when I do a search for Verizon providers.
    Last edited by CanadianAngela; 12-22-2019 at 12:12 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Dennis, prepaidcompare.net doesn't seem to fully work with IE 11. I can read the news and see the plans, but the filter doesn't seem to work.

I'm stuck using IE 11 a lot of the time. But UNLESS it's an EASY fix, please disregard this IE 11 issue.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I looked for "Contact" on prepaidcompare.net so I could send an e-mail regarding the Red Pocket/Amazon error, but I could not find any contact information. It's a very useful site, and very well done, but please add a way that people can contact you with errors or suggestions.

BTW, I don't see Verizon's Visible service show up when I do a search for Verizon providers.
    Thanks, was contact information at the bottom of each carrier profile. I've just added it to the Help and About pages.

When I set the filter to 1 line, Verizon only and scroll down to the $40 plans Visible is there. For 4 lines is there at the $100 price point. What criteria are you entering where Visible is missing?
    Last edited by Yeswap; 12-22-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Dennis, prepaidcompare.net doesn't seem to fully work with IE 11. I can read the news and see the plans, but the filter doesn't seem to work.

I'm stuck using IE 11 a lot of the time. But UNLESS it's an EASY fix, please disregard this IE 11 issue.
    I'll look at the IE issue. i doubt that I'll be able to fix it without rewriting the filter code to run server side just for IE, which is something I'm not willing to do.

Update: I was able to fix the IE 11 issue. It should work now. You might need to clear the browser cache.
    Last edited by Yeswap; 12-22-2019 at 04:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast