Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk phone upgrades (I need advice or info please!)

Feedback Score

Straight Talk phone upgrades (I need advice or info please!)

I just read a thread that was posted here way back in April or May about Straight Talk going to upgrade and giving a heads up about having to get new phones. But "I" never got a notice until 3 or 4 days ago and the thing is, on the email it did not state WHEN exactly or the reason I need to get a new phone.

Below is what the email said (and they never put the when in it)

We negotiated with our network partner to extend the deadline until . You now have more time to purchase a phone compatible with the improved network. (you notice it said that they negotiated to extend the deadline until and after the until, it doesn't tell you when? GRRRR -- Frustrating, to be sure!

I saw on the other thread that it was Verizon phones that were not being updated and it could be that, BUT ... when I got my iPhone 5s, I asked because I wanted one that would hit off the Verizon towers and they said that the one I was buying was AT&T (that it would hit off their towers) and the notice I got the other day said that I'll need to buy a new one soon.

Okay - I get that but if they don't tell you specifically what has changed then how do you know if you buy a new phone, that it will work? Does that make sense?

I found a Straight Talk phone on Walmart that I was thinking about getting - it's a Samsung Galaxy S7 but when I look at the specs for the phone, next to Cellular Network Technology it says: CDMA

One of my questions is: How can they sell these now if they won't be even good to use after the first of the year?

Was there ever anything in writing - a notice from Straight Talk or an article about the changes coming?

I really need to know specifics so I can know which phone to buy - I can't afford to spend a lot of money on a new phone and then have it not work after the first of the year (if that's when the changes will take place.)

Any and all input would be welcome. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know Verizon had this posted that they was going to turn off their CDMA network a few years ago. Then Verizon has changed this date just recently. Here is main thread for Tracfone info on this shutdown: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...re-End-of-2019. I can't find the original posting for this minute, but find this: https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...rk-by-end-2019. Then here is the newest Verizon dates: https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/.

As for the Galaxy S7, it does support VoLTE because my brother had one and he was able to use VoLTE as long as the SIM/account had it.

As for the iPhone 5S, it was before VoLTE. The only iPhone that supports Verizon's VoLTE is the SE and 6 and newer.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much for your help. I've been looking around at the links and now have another question.

I see an iPhone 6s and it has CDMA-V in the specs for it. Would the V stand for VoLTE and if so then that means it would work because in the phone specs on that particular one, it just says CDMA?

I know you said that the Galaxy S7 supports VoLTE but I forgot to mention that it's a Straight Talk phone - would that be the one your brother has? I know, I ask a lot of questions but I'm more one of these play it safe rather than sorry people so if I have questions, I try to think of any and all that I have. lol

Again, I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    CDMA-V means Verizon CDMA. Most new phones from Straight Talk on Verizon towers support VoLTE. They have got rid of most of the non-VoLTE on their site. By the way, I am talking about Straight Talk site.

My brother had a branded version of the S7, but he had to SIM swap it about a year and half ago, but since then, it can get VoLTE by itself.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for this information! The phone I want to get is on Walmart and the link is: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...ll&athena=true but it just has CDMA on it and I have no way of knowing if it would work or not.

I did see one also on the Straight Talk site but honestly if possible, I'd prefer to buy from Walmart only because I could buy an extended 3 year warranty for it and on the Straight Talk site, I didn't see where you could buy extended warranties.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett Kaye View Post
    The phone I want to get is on Walmart and the link is: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...ll&athena=true but it just has CDMA on it and I have no way of knowing if it would work or not.
    Walmart does not do a very good job of listing specifications. Most present phones have both CDMA and LTE, as that is currently supported by the Verizon network. There will be a time (not precisely known yet) when they will turn off the CDMA network. New activations run on LTE only (VoLTE), and CDMA is switched off in the phone.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so much! I did call Walmart earlier and they said it does (Samsung Galaxy 7) have the LTE ... BUT I forgot to specify the Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (of course, I immediately remembered it as soon as I hung up. lol)

As for when - I posted a thread here about when the upgrades were to be. The girl from Straight Talk sent me a link that I posted and it said that now it is to be summer 2020 when they are upgrading.

Feedback Score
    I meant to ask you - is the Samsung Galaxy 7 that your brother had, specifically a Straight Talk phone? Just wondering!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    My brother's Galaxy S7 was a Straight Talk one that he bought when they first came out with it.

Feedback Score
    Thank you so, so much, I really appreciate your help!

Feedback Score
    I just saw something about this today and got to worrying. I just got a ST Samsung Galaxy S7 from Walmart two weeks ago. On the front it has LTE-V. So this phone is good to go as far as this issue?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The LTE-V only means that it uses Verizon towers, and it is a LTE phone. Once the phone is activated, you will find VoLTE in the menu somewhere. Most Samsung phone have it in Mobile Networks tho. I know the Galaxy S7 supports VoLTE because my brother had one since the S7 came out. He got VoLTE after a SIM swap, but more then likely you will not need to do that now since all the phones will get it automatically for a while now.

Feedback Score
    I do not find anywhere on/in the phone where it would say VoLTE. But what are you saying in the more then likely you will not need to do that now since all the phones will get it automatically for a while now? Do you mean an update will be done on the phone? I mean surely they would not sell a phone in October than will not work more than a couple of months. Right?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If the phone has been activated with the last year or so, it should have VoLTE because most phones have got VoLTE since around that point. Before that it was very iffy on if a phone got VoLTE. If the phone has not been activated yet, you will not see VoLTE in the menus because it needs to be activated since the SIM has not been provisioned yet. I know some of the CDMA-less phones like the MyFlip does not have a VoLTE setting visible in the menus, but I know the Galaxy S7 is not this way.

My brother was trying get VoLTE on his S7 about two and half years ago. That was why he has to do a SIM swap.

All the Verizon based phones that I have seen on all the Tracfone sites in the last week or so has VoLTE as far as I know.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the phone was bought at Walmart about two weeks ago and activated at that time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast