Thread: If I add a line to get BOGO Can I trf existing then cancel existing?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

If I add a line to get BOGO Can I trf existing then cancel existing?

If I add a line to get a BOGO iPhone XR can I transfer the phone number from an existing line? THEN can I cancel the existing line and keep the monthly new line discount?

Feedback Score
    No. You have to transfer your number to another carrier or a service like NumberBarn or Google Voice and then bring it back. And you can’t do it in the same billing period.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Any # change on the original or BOGO line will result in a full device price charge billed to the account for the BOGO line.

You can swap the SIM card between devices without penalty.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if that method will work.

This doesn't answer your question exactly but could be helpful. The option I know for doing this is using Google Voice. The following thread has detailed steps for doing the line switches. I followed the steps to get myself an iPhone 8 with BOGO over a year ago without having to keep the extra line:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...BOGO-questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Any # change on the original or BOGO line will result in a full device price charge billed to the account for the BOGO line.

You can swap the SIM card between devices without penalty.
    Is this a new policy? I know in the past I’ve read about people porting in numbers on top of the Get line once the bill credits start showing up.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This applies to BOGO offers only and I don't know how long it has been this way. Just wanted you to be aware.

Feedback Score
    Good to know. So it wouldn’t affect the $500 trade-in offer + $200 switcher promo (as long as you wait 45 days to port)?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can't answer your second question with any certainty.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    If you port either line before it is paid in full/full commitment met the Bogo will be charged the full discounted price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5150 View Post
    If I add a line to get a BOGO iPhone XR can I transfer the phone number from an existing line? THEN can I cancel the existing line and keep the monthly new line discount?
    You asked this in DSLreports. You going to keep asking until you get the answer you want to hear?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5150 View Post
    There are some posting on this thread saying that the Google Voice trick doesn't work anymore since the phone numbers of either BOGO lines can never be changed during the 2 years of receiving the credits. From my understanding, as long as the BOGO line receiving the credits doesn't get moved, and the other paired upgraded line tied to that BOGO promotion doesn't get touched it should work. You should be able to port out a existing line (as long as it's NOT one of the 2 tied to the BOGO!) and import it over the new line by changing that phone number (ONLY over the new line since we do not want that number, and ONLY once the credits appear on one of the BOGO lines). To be safe I waited 60 days to change the new lines number.

My evidence for this still working is less than a year ago I helped a family member get a "free" iPhone XR with BOGO on Verizon. If anyone has evidence to the contrary they should post that, because this thread has become a lot of speculation which isn't helpful.

Unless Verizon changed how BOGO works in less than a year, this should still work. Feel free to ask any questions you have, as I have done BOGO twice before without having to keep the extra line by using Google Voice.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon postpaid
    Feedback Score
    Here's how it went down for me:

I started with five lines, adding the 6th line when I accepted the BOGO deal. My goal was to get back down to five lines in far less than 24 months.

Line 1: My primary line for years - destined for port-out.
    Line 2: My wife's line - on the payment plan for "Buy One"
    Line 3: Child 1's line
    Line 4: Child 2's line - recipient of "Get One" phone via SIM swap with Line 6
    Line 5: Child 3's line
    Line 6: New line - on the payment plan and bill credits for "Get One"

I was advised that if I were to change the phone number of Line 2 or Line 6 before the bill credits first appeared on my bill that I risked losing the deal, but that I could change the number of Line 6 any time after I started seeing the bill credits. I followed that advice, using Line 6 as my phone once the number on Line 1 was ported away, and have had no problem receiving the credits since (for about 18-19 months now).

Two things that you should be thinking of before plowing ahead (pay close attention to the second one):
    1. It's been over a year since I did this, and the rules may have changed since then.
    2. I got rid of my extra line by porting Line 1 away from Verizon and then changing the number of Line 6 to a different number (i.e., not the number that was assigned to Line 1). No having to worry about accusations of "number churn".

In short, my experience is the same as was described by Giblet.