Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Italy Travel

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Italy Travel

All headed to Italy next month and have the T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55+ plan (2 phones and Sync Drive). I see that the speeds will be 2G and will be looking for WIFI whenever possible. My wife is ordering an I-phone 11 for the trip (she has had an 16GB SE for years and showing it's age) to have the latest bands etc. What should I expect reasonably for service and is a plan change or data pack in order?

Thanks in advance!
    Tricon23

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tricon23 View Post
    All headed to Italy next month and have the T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55+ plan (2 phones and Sync Drive). I see that the speeds will be 2G and will be looking for WIFI whenever possible. My wife is ordering an I-phone 11 for the trip (she has had an 16GB SE for years and showing it's age) to have the latest bands etc. What should I expect reasonably for service and is a plan change or data pack in order?

Thanks in advance!
    It depends.

If you’re expecting to use apps like FaceTime Audio, Google Translate, WhatsApp, Viber, you’ll be fine. Video can be choppy and lag, but audio should work smoothly.

GPS should be fine.

If you’re the type to stream videos, then you’ll want to upgrade for the trip.

You’ll be roaming on TIM about 99% of the time.

I have the same plan and have used it several times in Italy with the standard 128k speed with no issues. But I’m also not streaming, which again makes a big difference.

Have a nice trip.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I suggest you download whatever maps you will need to use while you're on WiFi. Google maps has this feature. Some other map apps are designed to work without any cellular signal. Don't expect to watch any cute cat videos on Facebook while you're on cellular data. Get used to using text and VoIP apps like Viber. They are an effective way to communicate without spending 25¢/min.

P.S. Italy is known for pickpockets who target tourists. Use a SIM PIN and phone lock (e.g Fingerprint). Don't carry your phone on your hip. Know how to log onto My-T-Mobile if you need to report your phone stolen.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 09-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    I like Pocket Earth Pro for off line maps but it does have a small learning curve. Great detail though and even shows footpaths well. The Apple maps work fine for mapping & navigation though. Email, texting, and light browsing is good. If you want, you can use FaceTime Audio or even video within the country without charges. WiFi calling back & forth to the US is very good quality with even mediocre service. I'm just getting off a cruise ship now and made several calls that were amazingly clear over WiFi.
    Last edited by daleraver; 09-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Thanks in advance!
    I have T-Mobile One package, and used the standard data for 2 weeks in Europe of which ~5 days were in Italy (Rome / Venice). Speeds were usable for many light apps. Those that consume data (YouTube/Ads/Facebook) are not always the best. Google maps in general were usable, just don't be attempting satellite/street view often. When I was there, I think it was before they increased the speeds to 256kbps (was ~128kbps).
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    Audio streaming might work (slacker works at 128kbps for instance), video streaming won't (well, you "could" wait a minute for a youtube clip to buffer but not really worth it...)

128kbps means 64 seconds for 1MB of data... common pictures are 200KB to 1MB, whether in browser or apps... so something like hofo (mostly text) will probably be pretty normal, a web page with photos will be slow to load but get there eventually. Some app with a feed with photos, the app will take it's sweet time pulling down the photos, hopefully it pulls them in the background so they are there when you open the app 8-)

Personally, i'd save the money and stick with the 128kbps.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    If you’re going to be there for a couple of weeks and your devices are unlocked, consider a local SIM. Italy has some of the best networks with competitive data pricing.

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Italy

TIMs network gets you better speeds than most hotel WiFi.

Feedback Score
    The problem with Italian sims in the past was you needed an Italian Tax Number to purchase prepaid service. I'm not sure if that's still true or not. I got my number on line with no cost and it worked the one time I used it, but that was years ago. You can use your hotel or probably any address so that isn't a problem.

Feedback Score
    You will have to show your passport.

That’s the case in many other countries.

In Italy, the hotel copies your passport because of the WiFi.

It’s anti terrorism law.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    The problem with Italian sims in the past was you needed an Italian Tax Number to purchase prepaid service. I'm not sure if that's still true or not. ........
    It's been years since I've bought an Italian SIM but the Italian Codice Fiscali is not a problem because everyone in the world has one. It's a hash code based on your name and date and place of birth. There are web pages that will calculate yours for you. Really, all you need to know is that if if you weren't born in Italy, your place of birth is "Estero" ("Abroad" in Italian). It was important to have the first time I bought an Italian SIM. As I recall, the last time, they didn't even ask for it.
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 09-24-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks all for some great info here!

Tricon23

Device(s)
    LG G7 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
    You will have to show your passport.

That’s the case in many other countries.

In Italy, the hotel copies your passport because of the WiFi.

It’s anti terrorism law.
    Yup. They did when I was there. With the Shengen zone, people can be literally from any country in most of the EU. Italy itself is smaller than some states in the US., and the EU has over the past 5 or 6 years had open border issues. Having a passport in Europe is almost a necessity for travel if you wish to use a hotel.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by formercanuck View Post
    ..... With the Shengen zone, .....
    (Aside) I wish they'd picked a different town to host that treaty. Rome, The Hague, whatever. Schengen may not be the funniest place name in Europe (that honor goes to Poo, Spain) but very few people know how it's pronounced.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    (Aside) I wish they'd picked a different town to host that treaty. Rome, The Hague, whatever. Schengen may not be the funniest place name in Europe (that honor goes to Poo, Spain) but very few people know how it's pronounced.
    I found the my wife’s IPhone 11 MPRO has dual sim capabilities with one card and one E-SIM. I have never used one but when adding an E-SIM the scanner app comes up. I assume it’s to scan a pre pay plan gift card you would get at a convenience store?

Feedback Score
    I found the my wife’s IPhone 11 MPRO has dual sim capabilities with one card and one E-SIM. I have never used one but when adding an E-SIM the scanner app comes up. I assume it’s to scan a pre pay plan gift card you would get at a convenience store?
    With T-Mobile esim you scan a QR code to load the network preferences. It's probably the same procedure.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast