Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a PAYGO phone

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score

Need a PAYGO phone

My Motorola Moto G is starting to give up the ghost. The $80 standard plan is the one that fits my needs. I've looked at some Total Wireless and Tracfone phones on the Walmart website but don't see any 3G phones.
    Please recommend a 3G phone that won't cost an arm and a leg that I can use on the standard plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I’m not even sure if 3G phones can be activated. They’re in the process of shutting down 3G networks. It’s why its hard to find dumb phones in stores. I see Alcatel MyFlip phones a lot and that has a 4G connection.

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    If they're shutting down 3G does that mean no more standard plans?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    There is a 4G standard plan. It's 6 cents a minute, regardless of which denomination PIN you use, so more expensive per minute for $50/$80 PINs, and less expensive per minute for $10/$25 PINs. Otherwise it's the same text/data/etc.

Of course $51.20/GB for data (5 cents per MB) is not a price-point that you want to use any data on 4G unless it's a dire emergency. But if you leave data off (and use the smartphone features on Wi-Fi only), you should be fine.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Just because you might change to a 4G phone doesn't necessarily mean you have to change the calling plan.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ken1908 View Post
    If they're shutting down 3G does that mean no more standard plans?
    Just to clear up the shut down thing for people that does not understand it, Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network, not PagePlus/Tracfone. PagePlus/Tracfone is a MVNO using Verizon towers. So MVNO has to follow along with the changes too.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    And PPC has allowed 4g LTE phones on paygo for over a year now...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Of course $51.20/GB for data (5 cents per MB) is not a price-point that you want to use any data on 4G unless it's a dire emergency. But if you leave data off (and use the smartphone features on Wi-Fi only), you should be fine.
    Yes, the standard plans were not originally designed for smartphones. They should at least allow the $10 2GB add-on data card to be used with the PayGo plans. 3G can use as much data as 4G LTE...you just get it slower.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    And the PPC PAYGO plans (formerly known as the "Standard Plan") are all the same cost per minute, and that is $0.06/min, regardless of refill denomination. 4G LTE phones are the norm now, with VZW, as already mentioned, sunsetting that part of their network at the end of 2020. Thus making no sense to even think of a 3G device.

This level of PPC service is pretty much one of the only single-bucket offerings out there. However, I believe TracFone (a sister company) per minute rates are actually better, at the same time being more complicated (for some) with their three-bucket system. A better value, depending on usage habits.

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for getting me up to speed on the standard plan offerings.
    I still have $35 left on my plan so I need to get a 3G phone to use now. Would this Straight Talk phone work for me ? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...hone/371129485

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    If you can confirm that phone is meant for use on the VZW network (by what its model number is; someone here can likely confirm), then most likely yes.

By the way, that's not a 3G device, and you won't find any offered for sale, but you don't need such a device anyway.

If you like that particular model, you might also check the Total Wireless website for similar. Sometimes they have the same ones; also maybe a refurb at additional savings.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone for getting me up to speed on the standard plan offerings.
    I still have $35 left on my plan so I need to get a 3G phone to use now. Would this Straight Talk phone work for me ? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-...hone/371129485
    The Straight Talk Orbit is an S367V which runs on Verizon. It is also VoLTE capable, and will get that when activated. Not sure if it will activate with a 3G plan, or get switched to a 4G plan.

The Tracfone J3 Orbit is also available at Walmart for $10 less. In some stores, and online with free shipping.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/TracFone-...paid/579326233

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Got a hold of a ZTE Majesty Z899VL a refurb Tracfone, purchased a PP sim for a buck off fleabay and ported over to new phone. The do ask for the PP sim number, the old Tracfone sim didn't pass muster.

Feedback Score
    Got a hold of a ZTE Majesty Z899VL a refurb Tracfone, purchased a PP sim for a buck off fleabay and ported over to new phone. The do ask for the PP sim number, the old Tracfone sim didn't pass muster.
    I never had an issue activating a Tracfone SIM on PP. Even ones in a new Tracfone. Did your PP SIM say TF on it ? The PP SIM I once bought was a TF SIM in a PP package. It even has the same TF pn as the TF SIM.
    Maybe your TF SIM was just old. (?)

Carrier(s)
    Pageplus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I never had an issue activating a Tracfone SIM on PP. Even ones in a new Tracfone. Did your PP SIM say TF on it ? The PP SIM I once bought was a TF SIM in a PP package. It even has the same TF pn as the TF SIM.
    Maybe your TF SIM was just old. (?)
    The PP sim came in an official PP packaging. The TF sim and phone was received from TF roughly 6 months ago so couldn't have been that old.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast